Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2014, 09:08 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,001,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Do the majority of Black Americans live among such people?

Considering they are successful, who is keeping them down?

Who really listens to Al & Jesse outside of the less successful and some old people?
In my town its called public housing with iron gates fences police patrols so the drug dealers can't run away the smart successful black African Americans moved away.Kathleen Battle, Chuck Ealey, Larry Hisle just to name a few of many outstanding individuals from my hometown.Was is there racism here? Yes but they overcome these obstacles to be who they are to inspire others so their dreams can be achieved.
So in a nutshell who is keeping the black man down?
Himself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 09:22 AM

779 posts, read 632,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Correct but the successful black Americans are called names are the pawns of the white man to keep the brothers & sisters down as preached by the ruling power brokers .Then that message is parroted to keep you simmering with hate the opposite of Dr.King message of love...of real Hope & Change...that was his dream for all of US.
Al $ Jesse do Dr.King a great disservice by keeping the brothers & sisters down filling them will class envy loathing of others.Now some heads will explode but Dr. King was a Conservative Republican...
By who? Who is downing all of these successful black people? Black people are downing Oprah? Black people are downing Neil Degrasse Tyson, Corey Booker, Melissa Harris Perry, Tyler Perry, etc.

You think class envy is racial?

King voted based on a candidates platform and policies. He went with whoever was prepared to do what fit his agenda be it Democrat or Republican.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:34 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
In my town its called public housing with iron gates fences police patrols so the drug dealers can't run away the smart successful black African Americans moved away.Kathleen Battle, Chuck Ealey, Larry Hisle just to name a few of many outstanding individuals from my hometown.Was is there racism here? Yes but they overcome these obstacles to be who they are to inspire others so their dreams can be achieved.
So in a nutshell who is keeping the black man down?
Himself
That's just it...if there are a bunch of successful African-Americans that have moved away, then some random ghetto peoples' comments aren't affecting them in the least. Clearly Al & Jesse aren't on their brains. So clearly they aren't keeping themselves down.

It just the underclass.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:40 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,174,303 times
Quote:
The point is that the extreme degree of cruelty inflicted upon them caused the loss of knowledge of over 40 ethnic groups, at least 40 languages (if not more), different religious and cultural practices etc. So clearly assimilation was nowhere near easy.

Last time I checked, nothing remotely near that happened to the Chinese, Japanese or Irish. If it did, none of those ethnic groups would exist today. Their cultures are accepted as part of the "melting pot" at least to some degree while the cultures of the Africans were purposely wiped out...and then pushed by law to fringes of society to prevent full assimilation despite western names and religions for years upon years.

Crazy that you couldn't understand how that is tied to the discussion...LOL.
Still not relevant. So the African slaves lost their culture? This has nothing to do with Black Americans' ability to integrate. Most Americans of Europeans descent lost their ancestors' language and traditions as well. Losing your culture is part of what assimilation is about. It's backwards thinking to assert that hanging onto old culture somehow helps people assimilate better.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:44 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,781 times
They've begun to. They've learned that the word "racism" is the control word that leads to instant deference and free stuff from the cowed white population.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:47 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,001,182 times
Al has a daily rant hatefest on MSNBC he was is vocal in these matters deceiving stirring division...

Old 11-30-2014, 09:58 AM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times
On the surface it sure doesn't seem like Asians complain about racism, I've never once in my life seen or heard of a demonstration or political protest, they certainly aren't burning down their communities.

I don't know why they don't, I can only speculate.

Asians and Indians as a group seem to have more intact families that also seem to promote education and hard work. They seem to be suffering from fewer of the "social ills" that seem to be plaguing blacks and whites as well.

I'm not saying that they don't have their own dirty laundry, they just seem to hide it better.

Even though America has it's issues regarding racism, I think at the end of the day if you get a good education, work hard, put your head to the grindstone you can do well and that if you have a skill set that others need/want, racism seems to take a back seat.

If you approach the world with a chip on your shoulder and don't bring anything to the "game of life" then you're going to have more problems in general.

That last statement applies across all spectrums of the races.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:59 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Still not relevant. So the African slaves lost their culture? This has nothing to do with Black Americans' ability to integrate. Most Americans of Europeans descent lost their ancestors' language and traditions as well. Losing your culture is part of what assimilation is about. It's backwards thinking to assert that hanging onto old culture somehow helps people assimilate better.
Nice try but that's inaccuate. The stamp of different European cultures is all over the U.S. The Americans of European descent still bear the surnames of their ethnic/cultural origins and melded traditions. A main European language prevails and there are pockets of others around. This is why when Euro-Americans are ready, they will talk about their Irish, English, Italian, German, and French origins etc.

Show me the African-Americans that can talk about their Ibgo, Ashanti, Yoruba, Akan etc ancestors. Point out the surnames of the list ethnicities and others that exist within this culture. Point out the plethora of traditions. I'll be waiting.

Forced assimilation and cultural genocide is not the same as gradual assimilation and cultural maintenance.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:13 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,174,303 times
Quote:
Nice try but that's inaccuate. The stamp of different European cultures is all over the U.S. The Americans of European descent still bear the surnames of their ethnic/cultural origins and melded traditions. A main European language prevails and there are pockets of others around. This is why when Euro-Americans are ready, they will talk about their Irish, English, Italian, German, and French origins etc.

Show me the African-Americans that can talk about their Ibgo, Ashanti, Yoruba, Akan etc ancestors. Point out the surnames of the list ethnicities and others that exist within this culture. Point out the plethora of traditions. I'll be waiting.

Forced assimilation and cultural genocide is not the same as gradual assimilation and cultural maintenance.
So what? You still haven't shown how that even matters. Black Americans aren't held back by any attachments to an older culture, so they should be able to assimilate more easily. And most American Blacks don't really have a great deal of interest in their African roots anyway, despite Afro-centric movements in the 1970s and 80s.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:25 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,008,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
So what? You still haven't shown how that even matters. Black Americans aren't held back by any attachments to an older culture, so they should be able to assimilate more easily. And most American Blacks don't really have a great deal of interest in their African roots anyway, despite Afro-centric movements in the 1970s and 80s.
You can't blame them for that. Black Americans don't know the country of origin of their ancestral ancestors. The Afrocentric movements were more about embracing all African people rather than a specific African nationality or ethnic group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies