Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2014, 10:48 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,174,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
You can't blame them for that. Black Americans don't know the country of origin of their ancestral ancestors. The Afrocentric movements were more about embracing all African people rather than a specific African nationality or ethnic group.
I don't blame them for not caring. I don't really care that they don't. Caribdoll was making the weird assertion that losing touch with their ancestral cultures has hurt Black Americans' ability to assimilate, which make no sense at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 11:10 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
So what? You still haven't shown how that even matters. Black Americans aren't held back by any attachments to an older culture, so they should be able to assimilate more easily.

Those ethnic groups--and notice that you can still identify them as discrete ethnic groups--that became successful universally used their own ethnic enclaves in the US as the springboards to that success. Every group, without exception, depended on their intact ethnicity for self-support while individuals "worked hard" to get ahead.

And I'd dispute whether they have really "assimilated" in the first place. They haven't forgotten where they're roots are and a pleased to have those roots.

Quote:
And most American Blacks don't really have a great deal of interest in their African roots anyway, despite Afro-centric movements in the 1970s and 80s.
That's because we--and I speak from having been there then--always realized our genuine connection had been broken.

It's possible that had DNA genealogical research been possible back then, more black Americans would have been interested in tracing their roots to specific African tribes--Alex Haley raised that level of consciousness because he was able to trace his lineage back to a specific tribe and village. But most of us knew that was impossible, and "Africa" was too big and varied to relate to.

Nothing unusual about that. Japanese immigrants, Indian immigrants, Chinese immigrants, Korean immigrants, Filipino immigrants are only "Asian" to Americans. They don't talk about "Asian" roots--they talk about Japanese, Indian, Chinese, Korean, or Filipino roots. So why does it seem strange to you that black Americans who can't trace their own personal lineages to specific tribes aren't enthusiastic about "African" roots?

Last edited by Ralph_Kirk; 11-30-2014 at 11:44 AM..

Old 11-30-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Those ethnic groups--and notice that you can still identify them as discrete ethnic groups--that became successful universally used their own ethnic enclaves in the US as the springboards to that success. Every group, without exception, depended on their intact ethnicity for self-support while individuals "worked hard" to get ahead.
That's a poor argument. American Blacks have developed a distinct group identity and have a high level of group solidarity, much more so than White Americans. Black enclaves have existed in the past and exist today. The conditions that you claim were necessary for success exist for Black Americans.

Quote:
And I'd dispute whether they have really "assimilated" in the first place. They haven't forgotten where they're roots are and a pleased to have those roots.
Germans haven't assimilated? That's ridiculous. You couldn't tell an American of German descent from an American of English descent. Many Germans even anglicized their names. The same goes for multiple European ethnic groups that immigrated to America. Most have zero ties to Europe. They couldn't even speak one word of their ancestors' language. The fact that they may be aware of their roots doesn't mean that they haven't assimilated.

Quote:
That's because we--and I speak from having been there then--always realized our genuine connection had been broken.

It's possible that had DNA genealogical research been possible back then, more black Americans would have been interested in tracing their roots to specific African tribes--Alex Haley raised that level of consciousness because he was able to trace his lineage back to a specific tribe and village. But most of us knew that was impossible, and "Africa" was too big and varied to relate to.

Nothing unusual about that. Japanese immigrants, Indian immigrants, Chinese immigrants, Korean immigrants, Filipino immigrants are only "Asian" to Americans. They don't talk about "Asian" roots--they talk about Japanese, Indian, Chinese, Korean, or Filipino roots. So why does it seem strange to you that black Americans who can't trace their own personal lineages to specific tribes aren't enthusiastic about "African" roots?
Again, I have to ask, "So what?" I don't care that Black Americans don't know about their roots and most Black Americans don't care either. Seems like a non-issue all around.

Old 11-30-2014, 02:01 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,916,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
No, you're not getting it. Regardless, it still comes from the small-minded.
*sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Correct but the successful black Americans are called names are the pawns of the white man to keep the brothers & sisters down as preached by the ruling power brokers .Then that message is parroted to keep you simmering with hate the opposite of Dr.King message of love...of real Hope & Change...that was his dream for all of US.
Al $ Jesse do Dr.King a great disservice by keeping the brothers & sisters down filling them will class envy loathing of others.Now some heads will explode but Dr. King was a Conservative Republican...
Actually, the successful black Americans don't just come in suits & ties and they don't just vote Republican. Most rappers are successful, rich, even some own businesses and their own record labels. I highly doubt you'll see most people call Jay Z or Dr. Dre "Uncle Toms", which is what I'm assuming is one of those names you're talking about.

The rest of what you posted has nothing to do with what I said, but I'm more than positive that blacks don't care about Dr. King being a Conservative Republican.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:15 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
That's a poor argument. American Blacks have developed a distinct group identity and have a high level of group solidarity, much more so than White Americans. Black enclaves have existed in the past and exist today. The conditions that you claim were necessary for success exist for Black Americans.
No, black Americans did not enclave, we were ghettoed. Where black Americans are in discernible areas, it is because of de facto and de jure housing discrimination. We are where we are because until the period from 1964 to the 80s, we had little or no choice.

When we did gain choice, we attempted to assimilate--those who had the economic ability to leave those areas did so. As I've said, in hindsight that was an error.

Quote:
Germans haven't assimilated? That's ridiculous. You couldn't tell an American of German descent from an American of English descent. Many Germans even anglicized their names. The same goes for multiple European ethnic groups that immigrated to America. Most have zero ties to Europe. They couldn't even speak one word of their ancestors' language. The fact that they may be aware of their roots doesn't mean that they haven't assimilated.
Why are you talking about Germans? This thread is "Why don't Asians and Indians complain about racism?"

Quote:
Again, I have to ask, "So what?" I don't care that Black Americans don't know about their roots and most Black Americans don't care either. Seems like a non-issue all around.
I was responding to your statement.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
No, black Americans did not enclave, we were ghettoed. Where black Americans are in discernible areas, it is because of de facto and de jure housing discrimination. We are where we are because until the period from 1964 to the 80s, we had little or no choice.

When we did gain choice, we attempted to assimilate--those who had the economic ability to leave those areas did so. As I've said, in hindsight that was an error.
Yeah, that's right. You were against integration.

Quote:
Why are you talking about Germans? This thread is "Why don't Asians and Indians complain about racism?"

I was responding to your statement.
My statement was a response to caribdoll. We were talking specifically about European ethnic groups assimilating in comparison to Black Americans. You responded to my response to her. Everything I wrote was in context to an ongoing discussion. I assumed that you were following the conversation and that you were trying to add to what she wrote, but apparently you weren't.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:30 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,522,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
So many Asian people are great at playing the game to get ahead. That doesn't mean that they particularly care for you or don't harbor certain feelings about you. Same goes for Africans.
I imagine some do and some don't. considering that most Asian groups have a completely different experience compared to that of black americans, I don't see where the incentive would be to rally for black causes other than helping to work for equality for all. But I imagine some could be doing it for other reasons. Not sure what those reasons might be.

as for the (west) Africans who don't like black americans, they're not very good at hiding their disdain, though I have seen more call for a pan-African movement since this whole ebola thing. they want our support now. suddenly, bad things are happening to them because they're "black", but I don't believe that's why Duncan died. he was allowed to die, because the government doesn't want Africans coming to the US for care.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:37 PM

Quote:
As you frequently point out, you are of Irish descent, not Anglo. I wonder if you understand the distinction, because it appears that you don't.
have you read his posts? he doesn't seem to understand much of anything.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:40 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,790,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
Asians and Indians do great in the U.S., but they're minority. Why is that?
Asians and Indians from India are immigrants from the Third World. Indians have one of the most oppressive regimes in the entire world. The Hindu caste system is far more oppressive, and affects more than 500 million people within India. The Hindu religion rationalizes discrimination and the subjugation of people based on what caste they are born.

A better question, why is it, "racism" is seen as something only white people should be concerned with? Other cultures, specifically with people of color, are far more "racist" around the world.

Old 11-30-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You forgot: They didn't get sold in to slavery by their own tribes/family.
we are talking about the US. other groups that came to America were also facing oppression in their homeland. it matters less how black people got here than how we were treated once we got here.

Since when has hood rat meant a female? Hood rat is some idiot, extremely low class loser who commits crimes or is otherwise a major nuisance to the community. A hood rat can be any color or any gender, it's all about what kind of person they are.
hood rat certainly did refer to females. it was a term used in 90s hip hop to refer to women exclusively.

I disagree with your starred part, as I'm pretty sure I know what word you were trying to say. Yes, it is another way of saying, "thug", (but not one of them is nicer than the other), but it's not based on a person's skin color, it's based on what kind of trash they are. I've called PLENTY of white people "thugs" or "ghetto trash" or "ghetto rats". I don't commonly use "hood rat", simply because I usually say, "ghetto trash". If you all don't think there's scum white people in the ghetto, you haven't been paying attention.

I know many people like to refer to white people who are scum bags as "trailer trash" but to me, "trailer trash" is nothing more than a bunch of morons who get drunk every night, usually hopped up on meth, beat their wives/husbands, are missing teeth due to the drug use, have hair from the 80s, worn, stained clothing that looks like it came from a thrift shop and was dragged across the dirty floor up to the register, and laugh like morons at the non stop stupid crap they say.

That's completely different from "ghetto trash" who can be any color and commit crimes, vandalize, threaten people, wave their guns around, or act like they have one, pretend to be more dangerous than they are, belong to a gang, and disrupt society due to their anger issues.

Ghetto trash are people that are not liked because they scare many people, and people do not feel safe walking through the neighborhood. Trailer trash won't do anything to you, they're too drunk and drugged up to be a threat, but you'll wish you never walked through their neighborhood as your IQ plummets about half with each interaction, and it can take about a week to wash that feeling of slime and creepy off of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies