Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2014, 05:51 PM

28,711 posts, read 18,878,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Germans haven't assimilated? That's ridiculous. You couldn't tell an American of German descent from an American of English descent. Many Germans even anglicized their names. The same goes for multiple European ethnic groups that immigrated to America. Most have zero ties to Europe. They couldn't even speak one word of their ancestors' language. The fact that they may be aware of their roots doesn't mean that they haven't assimilated.
There are still, btw, enclaves of German immigrant descendants in the US, as well as a number of other groups, such as Italians, Poles, Czechs, et cetera. In fact, there is at least one Chicago suburb where Polish is as common to hear and see as Mandarin in any "Chinatown."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 06:50 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,526,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Correct but the successful black Americans are called names are the pawns of the white man to keep the brothers & sisters down as preached by the ruling power brokers .Then that message is parroted to keep you simmering with hate the opposite of Dr.King message of love...of real Hope & Change...that was his dream for all of US.
Al $ Jesse do Dr.King a great disservice by keeping the brothers & sisters down filling them will class envy loathing of others.Now some heads will explode but Dr. King was a Conservative Republican...
what a stupid conservative lie. just because we don't care for ben carson or mia love doesn't mean we have anything against successful blacks. aren't president Obama and the first lady successful blacks? and who are the ones who call them names?

Old 11-30-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
In my town its called public housing with iron gates fences police patrols so the drug dealers can't run away the smart successful black African Americans moved away.Kathleen Battle, Chuck Ealey, Larry Hisle just to name a few of many outstanding individuals from my hometown.Was is there racism here? Yes but they overcome these obstacles to be who they are to inspire others so their dreams can be achieved.
So in a nutshell who is keeping the black man down?
Himself
the fact that you have the grammar and punctuation skills of a 2nd grader, yet believe yourself to be an authority on what is holding black people back, is as hilarious as it is sad.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:59 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,938,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
what a stupid conservative lie. just because we don't care for ben carson or mia love doesn't mean we have anything against successful blacks. aren't president Obama and the first lady successful blacks? and who are the ones who call them names?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
the fact that you have the grammar and punctuation skills of a 2nd grader, yet believe yourself to be an authority on what is holding black people back, is as hilarious as it is sad.
Uh; look at how you quoted the 1st post before you bust on someone's grammar, please. Sheesh!

Old 11-30-2014, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
On the surface it sure doesn't seem like Asians complain about racism, I've never once in my life seen or heard of a demonstration or political protest, they certainly aren't burning down their communities.

then you are not well educated. do you know that Chinese immigrants were the first to fight for bilingual education in California? when I was a child, people still called Asians Orientals, who do you think changed that?

I don't know why they don't, I can only speculate.

Asians and Indians as a group seem to have more intact families that also seem to promote education and hard work. They seem to be suffering from fewer of the "social ills" that seem to be plaguing blacks and whites as well.
the ones here do. have you ever been to india. my husband and some of my friends (military) have and in many places it is dirty, crime ridden, and dangerous. there are street children who beg for money sometimes with dead or dying babies in their arms. people **** in the streets.

I'm not saying that they don't have their own dirty laundry, they just seem to hide it better.

white people have the dirtiest laundry in the world. a history of oppressing, colonizing, marginalizing, murdering, raping, etc. then wondering why certain groups are doing so poorly just a generation or two later. when my mother would visit relatives in LA she still had to use colored bathrooms. It is a miracle that there are as many black middle class, upper middle class, and rich black people as there are in the USA. I am one generation removed from Jim Crow.

Even though America has it's issues regarding racism, I think at the end of the day if you get a good education, work hard, put your head to the grindstone you can do well and that if you have a skill set that others need/want, racism seems to take a back seat.

statistics say that getting an education and working hard for black people does not always end in success. Black college students have the same chance of getting a job as white high school dropouts:
A Black College Student Has The Same Chances Of Getting A Job As A White High School Dropout | ThinkProgress

"A black man with an associates degree has the same chances -- about 88 percent-- of finding a job as a white high school graduate, according to a recent analysis of employment rates and education for whites and minorities by Young Invincibles, a nonprofit group focusing on the economic issues impacting millennials. Getting a bachelor's degree ups those chances to 93 percent for a black man, the same as a white man who dropped out of college."

The economy’s troubling double standard for black men - The Washington Post

If you approach the world with a chip on your shoulder and don't bring anything to the "game of life" then you're going to have more problems in general.

thanx for giving us your white privilege perspective. that's definitely what is missing from the conversation.

That last statement applies across all spectrums of the races.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; look at how you quoted the 1st post before you bust on someone's grammar, please. Sheesh!
what's wrong with the how I quoted the first post? i'm sure you don't know. you're not exactly an authority regarding coherent, sensible posts.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:29 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,850,702 times
It's not in their cultures to complain.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:46 PM

6,404 posts, read 6,304,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
Asians and Indians do great in the U.S., but they're minority. Why is that?
It's the generational anger that has been passed down by black people's ancestors and is played up in the media.

Asians/Indians don't have those stories. So they put their energies elsewhere.

Imagine how productive *everyone* could be if we stopped living in the past.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:39 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,580,103 times
Orientals certainly WERE victimized by FDR and our government during WWII by being placed in concentration camps as part of the 'yellow scare' hysteria of the early 40s, but they never let that reprehensible behavior destroy their ambition to become educated and successful in their various career pursuits.

African-American baby-boomers such as yours truly never believed 'poverty pimps' such as Sharpton, Jackson, Rangel, Waters, and other race-baiting cretins such as Coleman Young, and neither did any of the lots of Orientals that I attended parochial and public schools here in LA in the 50s and 60s.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:13 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,507,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidRudisha View Post
Asians and Indians do great in the U.S., but they're minority. Why is that?
Because they fit the definition. And what makes you think that they don't complain about racism?

[it's not just a black and white, white and black thing]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies