Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 10:54 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,037,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Here she talks about the Target experience a couple years back. Note the different tone she used when she talked about it: Michelle Obama talks Target and her dad on Letterman's couch - POLITICO.com
So its funny when it happened but when you need a story about a racist experience....bam....the whole encounter is now racist.....got it

I guess liar can go on her list of attributes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The point Michelle is making is too intellectual for many people to understand.........

Blah blah blah......

That's the sort of thing I believe Michelle Obama is trying to say. Some won't be able to see it, but its a real thing.

LOL. Right. ...of course why didnt I see that. Because I am so stupid....duh. So this woman who constantly complains about racism is asked in an interview about their experience with racism and the best example she can come up with is to launch into a highly intellectual and nuanced point that people asking other people for help is a form of passive racism thats programmed into all white people.......

What a load of rubbish mate. I hope you have a great dental plan....anyone who drinks that much koolaid is gonna need it.

Old 12-17-2014, 11:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,100 times
What I found laughable is how she was appalled that the woman thpught she was there to help her.

Perhaps PUBLIC SERVICE ISN'T THE JOB FOR YOU!

Old 12-17-2014, 11:44 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,084,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Why would you be in Target not asking someone with a RED SHIRT AND KHAKI PANTS to help you?? Isn't this the uniform of a Target employee?

I don't ask people who are not workers of the store to help me.
Oh come one. People ask taller people for help all the time and don't care if they work at the store.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:30 AM

6,701 posts, read 5,930,570 times
Quote:
The point Michelle is making is too intellectual for many people to understand. Some aspects of racism are very apparent. If I stand up and call someone the "N" word, no one will doubt I am a bigot. That's the sort of thing that's easy to identify and condemn.

However, many people quite unintentionally engage in behavior that I would say has racial implications--even though it does not make them racists. As people, we constantly make assumptions about the world around us based on our past experiences. Those assumptions become deeply locked in our subconscious mind. If we have dealt with many black valets in the past, when we stand outside a hotel and see a well dressed black man, the first thing that may come into our minds is "that man is a valet". I wouldn't call such behavior "racist". However, the behavior does have racial implications.

It can cut more than one way. I once worked a part time job as a reference librarian in a college library when I around 20 years of age. I am white Caucasian and I am about 6'3" tall. People would repeatedly walk up to me and ask questions that clearly assumed I was the head librarian, despite the fact there were older women and minorities who had MLS degrees and were, in fact, the full time reference librarians who would literally be standing next to me. After a while, we all realized it had something to do with my height, sex, and probably ethnicity. The people I waited on were not racist, but they were clearly making assumptions based on those kinds of factors when they approached the reference desk.

What I am describing is the subtle part of discrimination that many groups experience in this country. Its very hard to pin down and its very hard to impute bad intentions to many people involved in the process. Yet, it is real and it does exist. It also--on some level--impedes the ability of some individuals to advance much in terms of their career.

That's the sort of thing I believe Michelle Obama is trying to say. Some won't be able to see it, but its a real thing.
Everything has "racial implications", to those who make a career out of looking for such things. Let's face it, when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

People here are not as stupid as you think, Mark. Some of us are black or other minorities, and most of us are just people trying to get by in this life and are tired of all the whining about racism this, racism that.

My gods, 131 children were slaughtered two days ago by Islamic extremists and the world is reeling, and people still think that saying "you people" and mistaking someone for the valet is the biggest problem of our times. Keep things in perspective.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:43 AM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Why would you be in Target not asking someone with a RED SHIRT AND KHAKI PANTS to help you?? Isn't this the uniform of a Target employee?
Who cares what a Target employee wears? If a person needs help getting something off a high shelf, it is pretty NORMAL behavior to ask a taller person that is nearby. I mean...that is VERY COMMON. I have been asked DOZENS of times to do this.

Quote:

I don't ask people who are not workers of the store to help me.
Then you are really an odd duck. I have certainly asked others, that were not employees, to help me. And I have had others just plain offer to help.

It floors me that anyone would think that this behavior has ANYTHING to do with race. That is just bizarre.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:00 AM

13,403 posts, read 28,723,726 times
~~~~SIGH~~~~ you can't fix stupid!!! and boy is Michelle ever stupid

Old 12-18-2014, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Oh come one. People ask taller people for help all the time and don't care if they work at the store.
Exactly! I've been asked countless times by short little old ladies to grab something from the top shelf for them...no biggie

Old 12-18-2014, 06:03 AM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
The point Michelle is making is too intellectual for many people to understand. Some aspects of racism are very apparent. If I stand up and call someone the "N" word, no one will doubt I am a bigot. That's the sort of thing that's easy to identify and condemn.

However, many people quite unintentionally engage in behavior that I would say has racial implications--even though it does not make them racists. As people, we constantly make assumptions about the world around us based on our past experiences. Those assumptions become deeply locked in our subconscious mind. If we have dealt with many black valets in the past, when we stand outside a hotel and see a well dressed black man, the first thing that may come into our minds is "that man is a valet". I wouldn't call such behavior "racist". However, the behavior does have racial implications.

It can cut more than one way. I once worked a part time job as a reference librarian in a college library when I around 20 years of age. I am white Caucasian and I am about 6'3" tall. People would repeatedly walk up to me and ask questions that clearly assumed I was the head librarian, despite the fact there were older women and minorities who had MLS degrees and were, in fact, the full time reference librarians who would literally be standing next to me. After a while, we all realized it had something to do with my height, sex, and probably ethnicity. The people I waited on were not racist, but they were clearly making assumptions based on those kinds of factors when they approached the reference desk.

What I am describing is the subtle part of discrimination that many groups experience in this country. Its very hard to pin down and its very hard to impute bad intentions to many people involved in the process. Yet, it is real and it does exist. It also--on some level--impedes the ability of some individuals to advance much in terms of their career.

"Too intellectual" my ass. There is NOTHING racial about a person asking any other person for help. I don't care what freakin' color you are. How offensive to imply that others are too stupid to understand. I have been on both ends of the "asking for help" scenario. It's simply an issue of a person needing help. Good grief. So amazing that some people try to attach racism to every damn situation they can.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:06 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
When you're a racist, you see race in everything.

First, I think she's lying. Secondly, I'm sure it wasn't because she's black that they asked. Most likely because she's tall or was wearing a red shirt (I've made that mistake there once).
I stand corrected. It did happen. But when she was talking about the incident years ago, she thought it was funny, because the person was short.

Now, they were a racist. Makes this even more disgusting.....

Old 12-18-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
"Too intellectual" my ass. There is NOTHING racial about a person asking any other person for help. I don't care what freakin' color you are. How offensive to imply that others are too stupid to understand. I have been on both ends of the "asking for help" scenario. It's simply an issue of a person needing help. Good grief. So amazing that some people try to attach racism to every damn situation they can.
Bravo!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies