Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 07:31 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,566,007 times

Advertisements

As a white guy... I've frequently been asked in stores to help someone as if I'm a worker. I've also had job interviews that went really well and I was excellently qualified for - but didn't get the job, and a seemingly less qualified person did. It would be easy for me, if I wasn't white, to think this was "racism" against me. I've had NYC cabs with their hire light on drive straight past me when I have my hand out...

There is plenty of racism around, but a lot of it is hard to parse from what happens in everyday life - even in a racially homogenous country.

So who knows - perhaps they were the target of racism and perhaps they weren't.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:43 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
As a white guy... I've frequently been asked in stores to help someone as if I'm a worker. I've also had job interviews that went really well and I was excellently qualified for - but didn't get the job, and a seemingly less qualified person did. It would be easy for me, if I wasn't white, to think this was "racism" against me. I've had NYC cabs with their hire light on drive straight past me when I have my hand out...

There is plenty of racism around, but a lot of it is hard to parse from what happens in everyday life - even in a racially homogenous country.

So who knows - perhaps they were the target of racism and perhaps they weren't.
My brother is a fire fighter, and it took him years to get on to a department. He tested high, but was passed over for years because they were forced to take less qualified minorities. If the Obamas want to "fight" racism, they might want to acknowledge where it truly exists, like affirmative action, and not make up fake stories of racism.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:52 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Who cares what a Target employee wears? If a person needs help getting something off a high shelf, it is pretty NORMAL behavior to ask a taller person that is nearby. I mean...that is VERY COMMON. I have been asked DOZENS of times to do this.

Then you are really an odd duck. I have certainly asked others, that were not employees, to help me. And I have had others just plain offer to help.

It floors me that anyone would think that this behavior has ANYTHING to do with race. That is just bizarre.
Okay.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:02 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,565,224 times
I was in Home Depot getting plants for my gf and was approached by an older lady for some mulch to load into her cart. I just loaded it and was asked by a second person for the same thing. Was it the fact that I have a crew cut and may be looked at as a redneck? Maybe, but I didn't whine about it and call it racism. Some people just have the victim mentality as a crutch for EVERYTHING!!!

Old 12-18-2014, 08:07 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,298,999 times
Does this not prove that you can give someone the highest position in the country, and they're still not happy? FWIW, I too, have been asked to retrieve something from a top shelf for a tiny older woman. I was happy to help.

There is absolutely nothing that can be done for people with this mentality - Nothing.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:14 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I stand corrected. It did happen. But when she was talking about the incident years ago, she thought it was funny, because the person was short.

Now, they were a racist. Makes this even more disgusting.....
Last night I saw the talk show where Ms.O talked about this incident and she indeed made a point to mention (with a hand gesture) that the lady was short and did indeed laugh about it making note that the lady had no clue who she was.

But THAT narrative doesn't fit today's need to play victim so it is spun 180 degrees to victimhood.

Old 12-18-2014, 08:19 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,202,821 times
Just because a black person is rich or famous doesn't mean they don't face racism its just not going to be the type that the average Joe is encountering. Like Obama will never have to worry about being gunned down in the streets like a michael brown or choked out like a eric Gardner. Their status will protect them from certain things

Old 12-18-2014, 08:47 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,102,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
When you're a racist, you see race in everything.

First, I think she's lying. Secondly, I'm sure it wasn't because she's black that they asked. Most likely because she's tall or was wearing a red shirt (I've made that mistake there once).
I think the quote was probably taken massively out of context because she is an intelligent woman and would not provide such a stupid response.

I'm a white man. I frequently get items off of tall shelves for shorter people, regardless of race. When my wife (short) goes shopping without me, she occasionally has tall strangers get things off the shelf for her. Their race and gender do not matter, their height does. If they can reach the item, they are a viable person to ask.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:00 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,941,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Just because a black person is rich or famous doesn't mean they don't face racism its just not going to be the type that the average Joe is encountering. Like Obama will never have to worry about being gunned down in the streets like a michael brown or choked out like a eric Gardner. Their status will protect them from certain things
Well, that depends. If Obama robbed a stored and roughed up the shopkeeper, then disobeyed a cop's order and charged the cop and tried to take his gun, and punched the cop in the face, well then yes, he's going to possibly have to eat a bullet.

And it doesn't matter what color you are--you do stuff like that, you're courting trouble. Police don't cut white people any slack in these matters either. There are plenty of white criminals behind bars too. If anything, it's easier to collar a white perp, because you don't need to worry about doing everything by-the-book to avoid charges of racism.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:03 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,566,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post

Obama's behavior would protect him, whether he had status or not, like it does most people who behave with common sense when confronted by police. Obama ain't gonna try to intimidate or hit a police officer. He's a reasoned, intelligent and calm guy. His experience ends up basically being that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies