Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 11:44 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Folks, it's pretty likely that the next president of the United States, man or woman, will be be white (again). So take a deep breath and try to endure until January 2017. Your long, national nightmare will be over then. The black family will be out of the White House. Try to cope until then.
I'm white, yes, but I'm married to a minority woman and voted for Obama in 08. In 14, I consider him the worst president of my lifetime (and quite possibly one of the worst in history), and am counting the hours until that worthless excuse for a "leader" is finally broomed out of the Oval Office to begin his true calling - boasting about himself at a podium for a half million dollars an hour. And the thing that will make me almost as happy? The fact that he'll be taking that nincompoop wife of his with him.

So no, not everyone who regards these two miserable frauds as the disappointments they are feels that way because of their race. There are actually many valid reasons to regard both of them with nothing but contempt and disgust. So please don't diminish yourself by playing that ridiculous race card.

The fact is, the woman disgraced herself by using the same anecdote to illustrate two completely opposite self-serving points about what a terrific person she thinks she is. The first time she told the story, she used it to tell us all about Michelle, the modest but warmhearted Everywoman who was simply happy to help someone who "just needed the detergent." This is from the Letterman interview -

Quote:
"That’s my Target run. I went to Target," she said. "I thought I was undercover. I have to tell you something about this trip though. No one knew that was me because a woman actually walked up to me, right? I was in the detergent aisle, and she said — I kid you not — she said, ‘Excuse me, I just have to ask you something,’ and I thought, ‘Oh, cover’s blown.’ She said, ‘Can you reach on that shelf and hand me the detergent?’ I kid you not.”

As the audience laughed, she went on, “And the only thing she said — I reached up, ’cause she was short, and I reached up, pulled it down — she said, ‘Well, you didn’t have to make it look so easy.’ That was my interaction. I felt so good. ... She had no idea who I was. I thought, as soon as she walked up — I was with my assistant, and I said, ‘This is it, it’s over. We’re going to have to leave.’ She just needed the detergent.”
This time, she uses the same incident to show that even someone who's achieved the lofty accomplishment of marrying a man who was elected to the Presidency can be the victim of racism -

Quote:
"I tell this story – I mean, even as the first lady – during that wonderfully publicized trip I took to Target, not highly disguised, the only person who came up to me in the store was a woman who asked me to help her take something off a shelf. Because she didn't see me as the first lady, she saw me as someone who could help her. Those kinds of things happen in life. So it isn't anything new."
Now it's no longer "I felt so good... she just needed the detergent..." Now it's, "Oh, my god, in today's America I can't leave the house without someone assuming I'm a plantation hand." Same story, two totally different points. The woman is a self-serving fraud, who'll say anything she needs to say to make whatever point she feels the need to make.

And I don't have to be a racist to see that for what it is. I just have to not be blind.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:47 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I'm white, yes, but I'm married to a minority woman and voted for Obama in 08. In 14, I consider him the worst president of my lifetime (and quite possibly one of the worst in history), and am counting the hours until that worthless excuse for a "leader" is finally broomed out of the Oval Office to begin his true calling - boasting about himself at a podium for a half million dollars an hour. And the thing that will make me almost as happy? The fact that he'll be taking that nincompoop wife of his with him.

So no, not everyone who regards these two miserable frauds as the disappointments they are feels that way because of their race. There are actually many valid reasons to regard both of them with nothing but contempt and disgust. So please don't diminish yourself by playing that ridiculous race card.

The fact is, the woman disgraced herself by using the same anecdote to illustrate two completely opposite self-serving points about what a terrific person she thinks she is. The first time she told the story, she used it to tell us all about Michelle, the modest but warmhearted Everywoman who was simply happy to help someone who "just needed the detergent." This is from the Letterman interview -

This time, she uses the same incident to show that even someone who's achieved the lofty accomplishment of marrying a man who was elected to the Presidency can be the victim of racism -

Now it's no longer "I felt so good... she just needed the detergent..." Now it's, "Oh, my god, in today's America I can't leave the house without someone assuming I'm a plantation hand." Same story, two totally different points. The woman is a self-serving fraud, who'll say anything she needs to say to make whatever point she feels the need to make.

And I don't have to be a racist to see that for what it is. I just have to not be blind.
She is an attorney after all... 'nuff said.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:49 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
Well I'm here to respond to the OP, though it seems the conversation may have taken a turn. I'm one of those people who is always mistaking people in stores for retail workers. Color notwithstanding. If you are standing around and don't seem to be shopping...and I need help, I'll ask "do you work here." What is the big deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies