Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 08:29 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,941,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Folks, it's pretty likely that the next president of the United States, man or woman, will be be white (again). So take a deep breath and try to endure until January 2017. Your long, national nightmare will be over then. The black family will be out of the White House. Try to cope until then.
I think very few Americans actually care that the potus is a black man.

However, very many Americans care that the potus keeps rubbing it in our faces how he's a black man.

If he were any kind of leader, he'd have led by example, and after the first six months, no one would even remember that he's black. It would all be about the real issues facing the country.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:37 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Maybe she shouldn't have brought it up then.

Obama's story of being mistaken for a valet is VALID. Just because you see a minority male standing in front of a place wearing a dress shirt and tie doesn't mean he's a servant.
Or if he's in the White House that he's fit to be president...

Old 12-20-2014, 08:41 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,023,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

Um...sounds to me that it's Mrs. Obama that's complaining about something else she can't cope with until her long, national nightmare is over.
When she can go back to being sad that she's an american again.

All I can say is it will be interesting to see how they deal with and how they are dealt with when they get off that final A.F. One ride. Obscurity or will they just become Sharpton sidekicks?

Old 12-20-2014, 09:47 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
The article was about racism and their racist experiences.

No, he did not comment that it was about those "he's spoken with". He neither stated or implied that it happened to "those he'd spoken with". He made a broad sweeping generalization that it happens to all black professional males of his age. Please, read the quote again and show me where he stated or implied that it was regarding only himself and only those he'd spoken with.

So, you're stating that he and all other black professional males his age (that he's spoken to, as 'you' claim) were mistaken for valets by other blacks? Or, are you stating that no black person can be racist?

Re-read that quote regarding what he'd stated.

My original question still stands.
I'm not going to respond to this.

Maybe some other black posters will, but I'm not.

It's not funny anymore.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:05 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,126,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
I think very few Americans actually care that the potus is a black man.

However, very many Americans care that the potus keeps rubbing it in our faces how he's a black man.

If he were any kind of leader, he'd have led by example, and after the first six months, no one would even remember that he's black. It would all be about the real issues facing the country.
The fact that you think that way is disturbing. I thought we were past all that . I was wrong .

Old 12-20-2014, 10:51 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,544,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
White male here. When I used to work downtown in the financial district, I'd go out at lunch on errands, dressed in my usual white shirt, tie, and dark pants. Often when I went into the department store, people would think I was a manager le".

Good for you. Now supposed you had to be constantly fighting against assumptions by others that you were there only to stock the shelves. You don't saw you will see this as an innocent mistake.

How many white female executives get upset if their boss asks them to make some coffee? SAME issue.

Do YOU know what Michelle's experiences were? It is white male privilege when you don't have to worry about having to fight against negative perceptions that people might have of you, purely based on your skin color or gender.

Two men, one white and one black walk into an office, dressed business casual. Unless they walk in together, or unless those in the office know the black person they are usually not perceived to be of the same standing. Black professional men have to ensure that they signal who they are to avoid being seen as who they are not. Maybe less so for younger whites, but there are still loads of 50-60 somethings around whose views are less flexible.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:54 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,544,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
The fact that you think that way is disturbing. I thought we were past all that . I was wrong .

POTUS is a man who does his best to avoid discussions of race so it is real weird that some one will think that he continues to rub it in their faces. How often does he talk about race?

Incidents happen that occur because of this country's legacy of racism and Obama responds to that. Now many people do not wish discussion on this topic, maybe because they are still attempting to reconcile this nation's history and have guilt about it.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:01 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,348,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post

Incidents happen that occur because of this country's legacy of racism and Obama responds to that. Now many people do not wish discussion on this topic, maybe because they are still attempting to reconcile this nation's history and have guilt about it.
Or maybe because "racial conversation" usually means "blaming non-blacks for everything negative in the black community, and ignoring personal responsibility"? People tune it out because everyone knows it's crap.

The issues with the black community can only be solved within the black community. If you magically removed racism from the world, it would not stop the pathologies among a small number of people in the black underclass. Yes, there is racism, no it isn't an excuse.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:04 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,393,569 times
Default She's right

First Lady Michelle Obama speaks the truth. This country is fortunate to have this magnificent black woman in this position. Best to listen and LEARN from her.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:09 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,348,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
First Lady Michelle Obama speaks the truth. This country is fortunate to have this magnificent black woman in this position. Best to listen and LEARN from her.
She sounded pretty foolish, and embarrassed herself. There's nothing to learn from her unfortunate comments, and I am an Obama voter and supporter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies