Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 08:59 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,749,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
Unsurprisingly, people on this board seem to have a deep-seated ignorance about what wealth inequality means ...
I agree.

Quote:
It's not about jealousy, it's not about wanting what you have, and it's not about wanting to have things handed to you--
Yes, it is about wanting to have things handed to you. We are not stupid and blind. I see this every day. Millions of people refusing to live within their means, so they never accumulate wealth.

Quote:
it's about having a more cohesive society where opportunities are available to anyone who works hard.
That's exactly what we have in America today. With some exceptions (health, very low intelligence, etc), everyone has an opportunity in America.

Quote:
Everyone should have the opportunity to pursue meaningful, profitable employment...
Correct. And we do. Millions of us have proven that over and over again.

Quote:
Boomers who grew up during more equal conditions cannot appreciate how much the policies they voted for have destroyed opportunities, and created a climate in which the haves need to keep everyone else down in order to maintain their lifestyles.
And that's exactly the attitude that produces a low income result. Jealousy and whining rather than hard work and living within your means. Millions of low or no wealth families choose to spend more than they make and will never accumulate wealth.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
The gap doesn't need to be completely eliminated, it just needs to be narrowed.
So you are OK if poor people remain poor as long as we reduce the incomes of rich people so that the gap gets smaller?

Pathetic.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
He's right. Wealth creation is a personal choice. Some people do not have the drive to succeed in creating wealth. .
Correct. Many people would rather have a smartphone than put money in a savings account.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
The only concern most conservatives have about income and wealth inequality is that there's not more of it.
Good point. I wish people had more wealth. I'm glad we have uber wealthy people. Billionaires contribute billions to help the needy and advance education. Wealth is a wonderful thing. It's what builds universities, museums, airports, golf courses and many other really nice things.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:23 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,649,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Good point. I wish people had more wealth. I'm glad we have uber wealthy people. Billionaires contribute billions to help the needy and advance education. Wealth is a wonderful thing. It's what builds universities, museums, airports, golf courses and many other really nice things.
I agree wealth is a good thing. Wealth that is unevenly distributed, however, destabilizes societies. I wish there was equal access to opportunities for all citizens.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:25 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Quote:
I agree wealth is a good thing. Wealth that is unevenly distributed, however, destabilizes societies. I wish there was equal access to opportunities for all citizens.
People have to make their own access.....if they have the drive.....they will find a way.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:28 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,649,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
People have to make their own access.....if they have the drive.....they will find a way.
Is it safe to assume that if 300 people controlled all the wealth of the US that'd be just fine by you?

Old 12-29-2014, 09:30 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,782,025 times
Quote:
That's exactly what we have in America today. With some exceptions (health, very low intelligence, etc), everyone has an opportunity in America.
Well that settles that then.

Quote:
Correct. And we do. Millions of us have proven that over and over again.
You're not even saying this because you understand the issue-- you're just saying it because you like how it feels and you heard someone else say it.

Quote:
And that's exactly the attitude that produces a low income result. Jealousy and whining rather than hard work and living within your means. Millions of low or no wealth families choose to spend more than they make and will never accumulate wealth.
I don't have a low income. I am not jealous. I don't spend more than I earn. I do work.

Believe it or not, it is possible to believe in things that don't necessarily mean wanting more for yourself... though I wouldn't expect someone like you to understand that.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-29-2014 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: rude, personal attack

Old 12-29-2014, 09:31 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,352,878 times
Quote:
Is it safe to assume that if 300 people controlled all the wealth of the US that'd be just fine by you?
Sure.

Trust me.......I would find a way to be of value to them.......and get some of that wealth.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:31 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Oh I am paying attention, for conservatives it's always attack one group as pathetic lazy, immoral, criminal, to justify all manner of things.

It's the oldest and most boring playbook known to man.

I know I know we can't help those people or improve things because those people suck.

This is the idiotic conservative explanation for everything.

In this version, those you label the "unmotivated" are beyond help. Lol

the simplistic irrational nature of conservative thinking.

I did not say they were beyond help. My QUESTION was how to make them want to be motivated!!! How is that interpreted as "these people suck"....Quit putting words in my mouth, I am trying to find a solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies