Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 11:25 PM

20,343 posts, read 19,934,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
A lot of people do work as hard as you did yet have little to show for it. Hard work is overrated today.
Unfortunately, laziness and an entitlement mentality aren't underrated enough today.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:29 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,016,642 times
I think it's more of a work "inequality" problem.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:45 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
There's no doubt that inequality is a reality in this country. Are conservatives concerned about it?
That fact that you started this thread is every reason to doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
conservatives don't give a damn about wealth or income inequality.
I predict you both will employ one or more of the following fallacies in your propaganda and disinformation campaign:

1. Affirming the Consequent
  2. Appeal to Authority
  3. Appeal to Consequence
  4. Appeal to Emotions
  5. Avoiding the Issue
  6. Avoiding the Question
  7. Confirmation Bias
  8. Equivocation
  9. False Analogy
  10. False Cause
  11. False Dilemma
  12. Faulty Comparison
  13. Group Think
  14. Intensional
  15. Is-Ought
  16. Lying
  17. Misrepresentation
  18. Non Sequitur
  19. Prejudicial Language
  20. Proof Surrogate
  21. Red Herring
  22. Scare Tactic
  23. Slanting
  24. Straw Man
  25. Suppressed Evidence
  26. Willed ignorance

We should probably start a pool to see how many times our distinguished propagandists mislead forum members by equivocating Income and Wealth, and then a separate pool for equivocating Earned Income and Unearned Income.

Another pool we can have is how many times will they avoid using a neutral data source, like the US government?

Oh, and the "definitions." They will, of course, throw out lots of feel-good stuff, like "Living Wage" and then waste Eons trying to avoid defining it objectively in no uncertain terms.

Prognosticating...

Mircea

Old 12-29-2014, 01:17 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times
As a conservative, I am concerned about inequality in the sense that the middle class has been losing ground and the only winners are the very wealthy and the dependent poor.

Why has the middle class been losing ground?

The first reason is that women entered the work force en masse starting in the late 1970s. The available supply of labor almost doubled, which meant that the cost of labor (wages and salaries) was cut roughly in half. Instead of a husband supporting an entire family, we now have husband and wife working to make what the husband made by himself in the 1950s and '60s.

Next, because people tend to pair up with their social and financial equals, you have the phenomenon of -- for example -- a doctor and a lawyer getting married, each earning a very high salary, while two low-paid individuals marry, each earning a very low salary.

The high-paid couple -- both having very demanding professions -- are less likely to have children, and therefore have more money to spend on things like housing, cars, etc.

This drives up the cost of real estate and other consumer items, making the lower paid couple poorer as a result. Especially if that lower paid couple has children to take care of.

Next, we have the down-sizing and merging of corporations in the 1980s and 90s, with efficiency experts looking for ways to cut jobs and salaries to the greatest extent possible while increasing productivity.

Next, we have automation replacing human labor.

Next, we have "globalization," which means good jobs get off-shored to other countries and Americans have to compete with Third World labor that can be paid far less and still lead a comfortable life in less expensive countries.

Now add 40 million legal immigrants to the U.S. over the last 50 years, plus another 10 -20 million illegal immigrants, all willing to live three families to a house and accept very low pay for jobs in construction, etc., or even setting up their own contracting businesses and underbidding American contractors, and it becomes clear that the trend in this country is to become another Third World country without a significant middle class.

If that happens, democracy will come to an end and be replaced by tyranny.

In sum, we as a country have cheapened labor and destroyed jobs for our own citizens. Corporations and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce love this. But there is no reason why Americans in general should.

In recent years, we've even heard about jobs "Americans won't do." Of course they won't do them if they can collect welfare, which a lot of them do. And why should they do them if they don't pay enough?

Politically speaking, the Republicans want cheap labor for their big business friends, and the Democrats see poor unskilled immigrants as potential Democrat voters.

As a conservative, I am disgusted with both parties on this issue.

My proposals:

1) We need to have a moratorium on legal immigration and militarize the borders to stop illegal immigration.

2) We need to have mandatory e-verify and maybe even a forgery-proof, biometric national ID card for legal citizens.

3) We need to change our tax policy to reward companies that create and keep jobs in America for Americans, and punish companies that don't.

4) We need to recognize the destructive effects on the family (particularly the children) of both spouses having to work.

5) We need to replace population growth through immigration with having our own children in stable, secure homes.

These proposals would, of course, offend both Republicans and Democrats, liberals and conservatives, but they need to be embraced nevertheless.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:07 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,842,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
There's no doubt that inequality is a reality in this country. Are conservatives concerned about it?
Inequality is part of life. We were never equal. It is a case of promotion or success for the fittest. Doest not have to be income focused which is part of the problem being perpetuated by posts like yours.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:08 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,842,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
"I got mine Jack."
I earned mine Jack is more appropriate.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:12 AM

1,294 posts, read 1,121,420 times

Old 12-29-2014, 04:17 AM

6,394 posts, read 6,279,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I earned mine Jack is more appropriate.
I won the genetic lottery, Jack, is the most appropriate.

Follow by "if i can do it why can't you? "

Followed by the ignoramus population sticking fingers in their ears .

Old 12-29-2014, 04:20 AM

6,394 posts, read 6,279,468 times
All men are NOT created equal. Are you people serious here?

Take that flag and waive it outside of a special needs residential hospital for mentally retarded children.

Old 12-29-2014, 04:37 AM

543 posts, read 999,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
living for work is a sin now?

yeah money the root of all evil! .....I guess if you take away the wealth of your relatives all they will be are miserable poor people with terrible personalities who would be living their lives on welfare and handouts.

at least the way they are now they are not sucking off the taxpayers and are not unproductive leaches of society your solution is to change your cell number and don't invite them to your house.....problem solved!
Well, unlike many CDers, I'm not too upset about most welfare recipients. Why? What they get in tax payer money is a minuscule amount compared to what the DoD gets, for starters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies