Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 08:36 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,299,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
wow those conservatives are a-holes
Pretty much

Old 12-28-2014, 09:28 PM

543 posts, read 999,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
There's no doubt that inequality is a reality in this country. Are conservatives concerned about it?
I'm politically moderate, but I'm not super concerned for the most part. Why? Most of my wealthier relatives are sad, miserable people with terrible personalities who live their lives solely to work and to "keep it up with the Jones".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
My husband and I are happy with our lot in life....If anyone feels they don't have as much as we do they are welcome to work as hard as we did to attain what we have ended up with...
And when you die, are you going to take your car (for example) with you to the grave/urn? No, right? So, why so fixated on material things?

Old 12-28-2014, 09:38 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
My husband and I are happy with our lot in life....If anyone feels they don't have as much as we do they are welcome to work as hard as we did to attain what we have ended up with...

A lot of people do work as hard as you did yet have little to show for it. Hard work is overrated today.

Old 12-28-2014, 09:55 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,962,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Yes, I am concerned about it.

When society gets too cattywampus that leads to instability and crime. Look at Brazil, for example. The haves are forced to live in fortified compounds and the have nots go around preying on them. That sort of situation is ripe for fascism, communism and various other forms of terrible government.

Making sure we have a solid middle class and that hardworking people know that they can climb the ladder is critical to a free society.
I agree with this as well.
We are resembling Soviet Union style inequality due to crony capitalism and corruption and collusion rather than healthy competitive capitalism where everyone is on their own.

In 1970, there were 200 lobby offices in DC
Today, there are over 2000 lobby offices mostly representing the Multinational Corporations and Big Wall Street Banks.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:12 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,356,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
A lot of people do work as hard as you did yet have little to show for it. Hard work is overrated today.
I agree that you can work hard and not have much to show for it. I also think you need to work smart, not just hard. Working hard in a retail or fast food job might only get you so far...but working hard at increasing your value, learning, evaluating your situation, making the right decisions, etc. will get you far if you're dedicated to it. I think that's a principle of life no matter what time you're living in.

You can also simply have good and/or bad luck, but that's not a very reliable factor to base success or failure on. Work hard, but make sure you're working hard in the right direction.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:14 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,569,957 times
If income inequality is such a big deal for Democrats, why do many of their top representatives starting with the President pay their female staff members far less than their male staff members as numerous media outlets hav e reported, in direct violation of a Federal law which has been on the books since 1963, but which they choose to deliberately ignore just as Obama does the Constitution?

People in glass houses (including our super-radical President) shouldn't throw stones as the old saying goes.

Old 12-28-2014, 10:33 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,274,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_jay26 View Post
I'm politically moderate, but I'm not super concerned for the most part. Why? Most of my wealthier relatives are sad, miserable people with terrible personalities who live their lives solely to work and to "keep it up with the Jones".

And when you die, are you going to take your car (for example) with you to the grave/urn? No, right? So, why so fixated on material things?

living for work is a sin now?

yeah money the root of all evil! .....I guess if you take away the wealth of your relatives all they will be are miserable poor people with terrible personalities who would be living their lives on welfare and handouts.

at least the way they are now they are not sucking off the taxpayers and are not unproductive leaches of society your solution is to change your cell number and don't invite them to your house.....problem solved!

Old 12-28-2014, 10:38 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,274,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

are you speaking for yourself?.............have you known anybody that has move up in economic level status by working the minimum?

Old 12-28-2014, 11:18 PM

20,343 posts, read 19,934,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
There's no doubt that inequality is a reality in this country. Are conservatives concerned about it?
Nope. I harbor no ill will towards the wealthy or anyone who has "more" than me.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:24 PM

20,343 posts, read 19,934,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551;My husband and I are happy with our lot in life....If anyone feels they don't have as much as we do they are welcome to work as hard as we did to attain what we have ended up with...
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
"I got mine Jack."
And nobody should feel "entitled" to what you earned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies