Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2015, 02:50 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,152,061 times

Advertisements

No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 02:52 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,117,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Most racism I and many others see is coming from the NBPP and Ferguson crowds. So much so that their blind hatred even leads them to destroy minority-owned businesses.
You see a bunch of protesters protesting the same gov't abuse that Conservatives rallied behind for Cliven Bundy and call them racist. Meanwhile, there's an entire party trying to reimplement the same voting laws that necessitated the Voting Rights Acts of the Jim Crow era, and you're just oblivious.

And for every NBPP issue you point out, there's 10 militia/neo-john birches/stormfront.org/etc. that you conveniently ignore. Yeah... there are some racist Black organizations. The difference is that no Dems are speaking at their events, trying to get their support...

Can you even IMAGINE the level of outrage from Conservatives if someone like Cory Booker was caught speaking at a NBPP meeting? Conservative media would explode! Meanwhile the #3 Rep in the House for the GOP gets caught speaking to a White supremacy group and the reaction from the out-of-the-closet types in "Meh... whatever..." That's what I call deteriorating race-relations. You get to speak to White supremacists and get the support of most of your party for doing it.

Last edited by EddieB.Good; 01-08-2015 at 03:01 PM..

Old 01-08-2015, 03:05 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
You see a bunch of protesters protesting the same gov't abuse that Conservatives rallied behind for Cliven Bundy and call them racist. Meanwhile, there's an entire party trying to reimplement the same voting laws that necessitated the Voting Rights Acts of the Jim Crow era, and you're just oblivious.
Voter ID laws? Hate to break it to you but without voter ID laws that exclude subsequent voting, those most guilty of voting twice in the same election live close to state borders:

Fairfax officials say some people may have crossed Va.-Md. line to vote twice in 2012 - The Washington Post

Old 01-08-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Voter ID laws? Hate to break it to you but without voter ID laws that exclude subsequent voting, those most guilty of voting twice in the same election live close to state borders:

Fairfax officials say some people may have crossed Va.-Md. line to vote twice in 2012 - The Washington Post
And what do you have to say about literacy tests? Or closing Sunday voting? Or shutting voting locations so that there are fewer places to vote, harder to get to, and have shorter operating hours? Right... all those ideas are to stop "voter fraud" too

Old 01-08-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
And what do you have to say about literacy tests? Or closing Sunday voting? Or shutting voting locations so that there are fewer places to vote, harder to get to, and have shorter operating hours?
What do any of those have to do with voter ID laws? Nothing.

Old 01-08-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
What do any of those have to do with voter ID laws? Nothing.
Go a read a paper. These are all things that have been proposed under "fighting voter fraud" by Republicans. The irony of your username...

Old 01-08-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Go a read a paper. These are all things that have been proposed under "fighting voter fraud" by Republicans. The irony of your username...
No, those are the ridiculously false scare tactics proposed by Democrats. I know so because I do live up to my user name.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
No, those are the ridiculously false scare tactics proposed by Democrats. I know so because I do live up to my user name.
THESE LAWS WERE PASSED! Some of them were even blocked by the DOJ from being implemented before SCOTUS neutered the Voting Rights Act. At this point you're either admitting you're a liar or willfully ignorant b/c these are Republican-proposed, Republican-passed changes to the voting process.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:02 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,916,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Or, maybe I am just brutally honest.

Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
weak and dismissive retort to a serious and thoughtful post. just like this one.
Actually, my "weak and dismissive" answer was short because I had to go to work. But before I expand, let me just change a few things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I think if you count the many, many threads on this subject on CD, it does point to the fact that whites DO have some concerns about what we are seeing going on in black communities, even if we say we don't. I will come right out and say that I am disgusted by how blacks are conducting themselves in places like Ferguson and other cities.

From a white man's perspective (and that is all I have to work with) I find it amazing that some blacks will put their heads in the sand and not acknowledge the real issues that are causing them harm. For example:

1) SOME Black women (and some white women too) continue to have baby after baby with black men, and feel it is somehow ok to have multiple "baby daddies", most of whom who do not support or involve themselves in their children's lives. These children grow up with no positive role models, no direction, and no one to teach them right from wrong........they learn their lessons on the street.

2) Where most people would be ashamed to have a criminal record, in the black world it seems almost as a fact of life. (...are you f**king serious?!?!?) When Judge Judy said to one black man "Have you ever been to prison ?" His response was "Oh, sure, of course!" Don't know about you, but I have never been there, and I can't think of anyone I know who has been there either.

3) SOME Blacks have got to stop with this "Woe is me, the world is against us" attitude. That line got old 50 years ago. Yep, there was a time in America that we should be ashamed of as whites. Blacks were treated like second class citizens and we whites didn't want them near us. But that was 50 years ago and by now lots of black people have put that behind them and built great lives for themselves and are held in high regard by everyone, even whites. Hell, we even have a BLACK PRESIDENT !! If every black simply lived life the right way they would all be respected for who they are and where they have come to.

4) It is also time for SOME blacks to start taking responsibility for their own actions and stop blaming every one and everything else. For example, there are videos on YouTube of a Mother and family defending their Son, who was robbing a store at gun point, and threatening to sue the victim who shot that Son and killed him ! Instead of them being logical and reasonable and saying "He had a gun and was robbing some innocent victim", they prefer to say " That man with the gun who killed him could have just let him get away, he was a good boy who just got in with the wrong crowd."

YOUR SON HAD A GUN AND WAS ROBBING SOMEONE !!!!!!! Face the facts !!!!!

You almost feel like shaking some black people and trying to make them see that life could be so much better and different if they would simply play by the same rules the rest of us do. Yep, lots of whites are not angels either, but you don't see us protesting when one of those lowlifes gets killed robbing a store, instead we say "Good, he got what he deserved !"

End of soapbox.

Don
You had the word "some" in your post, but not nearly enough.

It may come as a shock, but we are all WELL AWARE of the issues that the black community deals with on a daily. Yes, there are black people who are lazy. Yes, there are black people who do nothing but blame others for their issues. And yes, there are blacks who have their priorities out of whack. The black race has people who are an embarrassment... SO DOES EVERY OTHER RACE.

This is about race relations as a whole, yet your entire post is about everything wrong with ONE race of people. What the hell's up with that? Regardless of who it's about, white, black, Asian, Latino, whatever, I find it more telling that someone would rather point fingers at ONE thing instead of looking at it from a broad perspective. You're a white male, so you only look at things from a white male's perspective. I'm a 26 year old black male who got "both worlds", and I can tell you for certain, white people are nooooooooo better. Sure, your race may not deal with the same issues as a whole, but you have issues that are suddenly ignored when blacks come into the picture. It's amazing to me, really.

Just to get on my "soapbox" for a second, I want to get on some things that you're trying to point out to "all the blacks who have their heads in the sand"

- Seeing PEOPLE continuously having kids out of wedlock with different fathers isn't so much a race issue. It's really more of a status and class issue. You see more people who don't have proper education or poorer people doing this than anything. Sadly, of course, there are more blacks in that situation than anyone else, but it's more of a situation issue, not racial. Not all of those kids learn from "the streets". Some of them learn from "the trailer park"...

- I grew up knowing a couple people who went to prison. A lot of them were black and NONE of them were proud of it. I honestly don't know how the hell you even BEGAN to come to that conclusion. The fact that you referenced a TV show as your point is kind of pathetic, if you ask me. I don't watch Honey BooBoo and say, "yep, that's how all southern whites act."

- You can't say "if every black" (the fact that you didn't type in "person" after black irks me) did this or did that because "every black" is not the same. People in general are not all the same. There's just no getting through to some because they're stuck in what they think they know, kind of like this side of the forum in general. And having one non-white male president, for the first time in over 200 years of having presidents no doubt, doesn't mean as much as some people think it does. Yeah, it means that we FINALLY have someone who doesn't look like an old white guy is president. It's progress, but it doesn't mean that racism is "a thing of the past" and blacks have "finally made it". Those issues still persist.

- As for your "YouTube example", OF COURSE THEY'RE DEFENDING THEIR SON. That's family. What family WOULDN'T be broken up about one of their own getting killed, despite the events that took place for him or her to get killed? What do you want them to do, come out say, "yeah, our son was a criminal. He deserved what he got and I hope he rots in hell..." NO. You can only do so much for people. And in case you didn't know, not everyone has the luxury of having a GREAT job and time to spend with their kids, so not everyone is there enough to get the chance to "raise their kids right". And even then, you as a parent can do all you can and that child will still fall in with the wrong crowd.

Those protest for those "low lives" (and I can't believe I'm going back to this AGAIN, but) isn't praising him for being a thug or a criminal. The protests are from years of something happening where blacks and other people of color don't get the same benefit of a doubt that whites get. They commit the same crimes as whites but get harsher punishment. It's well documented and STILL going on. That's where "Black Lives Matter" comes from. It's not saying that "other lives" DON'T matter. It's shedding light on lives that seem to go ignored. Some of us aren't that heartless...

Old 01-08-2015, 04:08 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,597,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Do you care?
No, I recognize it for the obfuscation tactic that it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies