Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 08:16 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Hey Simon, I don't know if you understand this but there is an economic reason why they are here, keep coming and nobody does anything about it. I am sure you would not mind picking strawberries 12 hours a day in the sun right?

Do you think the Government really gives a **** about illegal immigration?
I believe this administration cares deeply about illegal immigration. They want to give them amnesty with entitlements. They want to let them vote without identification too. The agenda is to expand the democrat voting base. They care deeply about that!

Old 01-17-2015, 08:32 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post
First - these immigrants break our laws and sneak into our country. They pop out kids anchor babies so they can receive benefits and work under the table for businesses who are more than willing to take advantage of cheap illegal labor - lowering our wages and decreasing job opportunities for the rest of us. And if this wasn't enough - they have the arrogance to start marching on Washington and demand and support that our President rewrite our immigration laws to suit them and pander to their situation. I used to be a moderate on this issue but I am quickly changing my mind about this. This would be like me sneaking into Mexico and then demanding their president rewrite their laws and give me special licenses to work and stay there as I wish. We need to adopt a European model when it comes to immigration and keep a tight-lid on our borders and welcome only those immigrants who respect and obey our laws. I also now concur with Romney's stance (though at the time I did disagree with him on this). Self-deportation is the solution here. I no longer even support a pathway to citizenship or legal residency. They should go back home and take their children with them. If they want to come here - do it legally. Enough is enough, and I'm tired of the bull****. The only laws we should pass is a new Federal law that with punisment for any business that hires an illegal immigrant. Then let Obama tell them they have the right to work. This faucet of cheap labor needs to be shut off now. It's ruining our economy and corrupting our politics
Somebody needs a nap.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:54 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post
First - these immigrants break our laws and sneak into our country. They pop out kids anchor babies so they can receive benefits and work under the table for businesses who are more than willing to take advantage of cheap illegal labor - lowering our wages and decreasing job opportunities for the rest of us. And if this wasn't enough - they have the arrogance to start marching on Washington and demand and support that our President rewrite our immigration laws to suit them and pander to their situation. I used to be a moderate on this issue but I am quickly changing my mind about this. This would be like me sneaking into Mexico and then demanding their president rewrite their laws and give me special licenses to work and stay there as I wish. We need to adopt a European model when it comes to immigration and keep a tight-lid on our borders and welcome only those immigrants who respect and obey our laws. I also now concur with Romney's stance (though at the time I did disagree with him on this). Self-deportation is the solution here. I no longer even support a pathway to citizenship or legal residency. They should go back home and take their children with them. If they want to come here - do it legally. Enough is enough, and I'm tired of the bull****. The only laws we should pass is a new Federal law that with punisment for any business that hires an illegal immigrant. Then let Obama tell them they have the right to work. This faucet of cheap labor needs to be shut off now. It's ruining our economy and corrupting our politics
I agree with the bolded. Do it legally.

Both democrats and republicans want illegals because employers want cheap labor. They benefit tremendously from legal and illegal immigration in the current slow-growth economy. We have a million legal immigrants per year, and the vast majority of them enter the labor market competing with Americans for scarce job opportunities. The result is wage depression.

My parents are fourth or maybe even fifth generation American citizens. My grandfather made all his fortune overseas, but he payed American tax. This makes sense to me because he was an American citizen (he passed away)

Even people grew up in foreign lands have to pay American tax because American citizenship is a privilege, not a right.

I just cannot see why people have to enter the country illegally. I understand that everybody wants a better life, but seriously, why not do it legally?

Old 01-17-2015, 09:35 PM

128 posts, read 122,931 times
Lump of labour fallacy

....with plenty of anecdotes concerning their "buddy" who has a job that was taken by illegal aliens. I really wish people could have a real conversation without getting emotional...and actually offer a realistic solution to the problem. It is a problem, and a decades old, extremely complex problem.

Now they're presumptuous? Those uppity illegals looking entitled, huh? Most people crossing are literally peasants.

This is our governments problem, and we need to force them to address the issue they've actively ignored for too long.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:40 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

Both democrats and republicans want illegals because employers want cheap labor. They benefit tremendously from legal and illegal immigration in the current slow-growth economy. We have a million legal immigrants per year, and the vast majority of them enter the labor market competing with Americans for scarce job opportunities. The result is wage depression.

My parents are fourth or maybe even fifth generation American citizens. My grandfather made all his fortune overseas, but he payed American tax. This makes sense to me because he was an American citizen (he passed away)

Even people grew up in foreign lands have to pay American tax because American citizenship is a privilege, not a right.

I just cannot see why people have to enter the country illegally. I understand that everybody wants a better life, but seriously, why not do it legally?
I would say a lot of people who come here are not told the truth. The drug cartel is making money off of people thinking they will come here and get work, be free citizens and live the American dream.......they get here with all the money they have, only to find out they're hated and not wanted. Just sad all around.....not to mention the children who lose their parents along the way.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:41 PM

128 posts, read 122,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981
Obviously you can't understand why they come here. They're poor and have no job skills, and live in a third world country.Come on, you think those people crossing care about our immigration laws? You wanna guilt them into self-deportation? We need our politicians to get to work.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:51 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_loper View Post
Lump of labour fallacy

....with plenty of anecdotes concerning their "buddy" who has a job that was taken by illegal aliens. I really wish people could have a real conversation without getting emotional...and actually offer a realistic solution to the problem. It is a problem, and a decades old, extremely complex problem.

Now they're presumptuous? Those uppity illegals looking entitled, huh? Most people crossing are literally peasants.

This is our governments problem, and we need to force them to address the issue they've actively ignored for too long.
Last time I checked, there is a Bipartisan bill passed by the senate 62/38 that solves the problem rather nicely, but the Republican house refuses to take it up.
The solution is sitting in Congress right now but somehow, it's all Obama's fault. It's known in some circles as "Obama's Black Stain of Illegal Immigration", because as we all know, Illegals were never here before January 19th, 2009.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:59 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Who said they were? But it is an undeniable fact that they are taking blue-collared jobs in this country by working for less. They and their employers are equally guilty and it is hurting the blue-collared American workers in this country.
Bull ****, but keep telling yourself that fairy tale . A few years ago Georgia passed a restrictive law on agriculture based on the concept of running the illegals out and giving jobs back to hard working Georgians. You know what the result was? They had to ship more Hispanics in on the guest worker program in order to fill their quotas, because none of the natives applied. On the Eastern shore of Maryland we have crab picking plants that have to do the same thing. Because none of the natives want to pick crab meat for 10 hours a day, in 90 degree heat, for 9 bucks as hour.

You are correct, the majority of them that come to this Country are not working on the farms. However, the types of jobs they are working are not the ones native Americans want to work. They work non skilled menial labor jobs that don't require a high wage because the skill level isn't that great. If Americans were beating down the door for these jobs than they wouldn't be here. If so many workers were losing their jobs to them than they wouldn't be here either, because the workers would vote to ensure that didn't happen. The reason most people don't is because they aren't affected by their presence.

You can also save the little anecdote about the contractor you know that was driven out of business by a competitor hiring illegals that you are about to tell me, because I have heard it before .

Old 01-17-2015, 10:01 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

Easy to say while you sit in your house in suburbia with all the creature comforts known to man and have likely never lived in the poverty levels that they have .

Old 01-17-2015, 10:17 PM

302 posts, read 196,579 times
It is so, so easy to sit in suburban home, free from crime and poverty and rail on people you've never met that you're local conservative pundit have made out to be the enemy. Do any of you, any of you, realize what life is like in Mexico? Violent crime on the streets is commonplace. Poverty is rampant. The government is basically an organized mafia, did you not read about those hundreds of college students abducted and burnt alive by the government for protesting? Immigrating to America, unless you get the green card lottery(which is very small) is extremely difficult. Extremely. You need to have valuable skills, i.e. and education, to get in at all, you need to be fluent in English, you need to have job sponsorship. It can take years. Years. When your family's lives are on the line you would flee. Does this mean I support illegal immigration? No, of course not, but immigration should be increased. Do you know why? You see, because of immigration, we are not going to suffer what is perhaps one of the most critical crisis Europe and Japan will face - the retirement of the current generation. They will have far more people retired then working. Tthe US, because of immigration, won't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies