Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 02:00 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,792,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post
The NRA is wrong: Owning a gun is far more likely to harm you than protect you.
Good guy with a gun myth: Guns increase the risk of homicide, accidents, suicide.

It seems so obvious: more guns, more bullets flying, more death.
It seems to me the reluctance of some Americans to accept the facts on guns-and-death data is the same kind of intellectual vapor lock that makes them buy lottery tickets.
I declare a holy war started
I'll ask a simple question. Would anyone want ^^^^ this guy deciding (dictating) your rights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 02:02 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,005,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post
The NRA is wrong: Owning a gun is far more likely to harm you than protect you.
Good guy with a gun myth: Guns increase the risk of homicide, accidents, suicide.

It seems so obvious: more guns, more bullets flying, more death.
It seems to me the reluctance of some Americans to accept the facts on guns-and-death data is the same kind of intellectual vapor lock that makes them buy lottery tickets.
I declare a holy war started
The overwhelming majority of legal gun carriers are people who don't go around causing harm to others. Most of the people who are committing violent crime with guns are getting these weapons illegally. Stop trying to punish the law abiding citizens. They are not the problem! It's societal/culture issues, not a gun issue. What we need to do is figure out the causes that lead to the high levels of gun violence. Simply getting rid of all the guns isn't going to solve the cultural issues that still exists.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:05 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I would wager that most people who've shot themselves or who've been shot when their kids or friends got a hold of their firearm felt comfortable before said shootings occurred. That includes LEO who've shot themselves as well.

Unfortunately feeling confident about your situation doesn't mean that you or those around you are actually safe.
I suppose thats true if you are comfortable leaving your firearm where children or others can have access to it.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:06 PM

794 posts, read 819,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I've never said anything about law, you did.
What did I say regarding law?

Quote:
Of course gun right is a right, but practicing common senses doesn't hurt. wouldn't you agree?
The term "common sense" is a buzzword term used by the left regarding this issue, so I won't validate that by replying.

Quote:
If you want to talk about law, then this is law

Federal law prohibits the purchase and possession of firearms by people who fall within certain categories, such as convicted felons, domestic abusers, and people with specific kinds of mental health histories.1 Although background checks have prevented over two million people in these categories from obtaining guns,2 the federal law does not generally include other types of people identified by public health researchers as being at a significantly higher risk than the general population of being dangerous,
including:
Those who have been convicted of violent or gun-related misdemeanors;3
Those with a history of abusing alcohol or drugs4;
Those convicted of juvenile offenses;5 and
Additional people who have suffered from severe mental illness.6

Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence

so your right is your right argument is rather silly.
I have never conflated the constitution with federal law, or interchanged the two. That's a red herring that leads us down a road of an entirely different discussion. Federal law (and many state laws for that matter) go completely against our constitutional rights as outlined in the cotus. Federal laws may be codified, but they does NOT mean they are necessarily constitutional.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:11 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
What did I say regarding law?

The term "common sense" is a buzzword term used by the left regarding this issue, so I won't validate that by replying.

I have never conflated the constitution with federal law, or interchanged the two. That's a red herring that leads us down a road of an entirely different discussion. Federal law (and many state laws for that matter) go completely against our constitutional rights as outlined in the cotus. Federal laws may be codified, but they does NOT mean they are necessarily constitutional.
I am not left and I am not right. If I must categorize myself, then I am a Libertarian. But assume all you want. It doesn't really matter.

you can be conservative on certain issues, you can be liberal with other issues. NO ONE is truly 100% liberal or conservative. (maybe there are some extreme left or right out there, but I haven't met any)

I don't believe everybody has the right owning a gun, but this is just my opinion and my opinion only.

If you believe gun right is everybody's right, then do you believe background check before purchasing a firearm is unnecessary?

Old 01-26-2015, 02:14 PM

Quote:
I am not left and I am not right. If I must categorize myself, then I am a Libertarian. But assume all you want. It doesn't really matter.

you can be conservative on certain issues, you can be liberal with other issues. NO ONE is truly 100% liberal or conservative. (maybe there are some extreme left or right out there, but I haven't met any)

I don't believe everybody has the right owning a gun, but this is just my opinion and my opinion only.

If you believe gun right is everybody's right, then do you believe background check before purchasing a firearm is unnecessary?
What did I say about law?

You my friend, are very far from being a Libertarian. Very far.

Background checks - I support an on the spot NICS check. It must be at the time of purchase and should not exceed ten minutes or so of the patrons time.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:16 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Sure, but that is user error and has nothing to do with safely carrying while at condition zero.
What I'm saying is that I'm not above making an error. I can see the possibility of not thinking about how a specific piece of clothing may cause a discharge while carrying condition zero.

I can see myself out running errands. Suddenly, my wife calls and says I need to get her stamps on the way home. I pull into the Post Office on my way home. I am carrying. I pull my weapon to go into the Post Office, so that I don't violate the law, and lock it in my glove box. I go in and purchase my stamps and return to my car. I then go to place my gun back in the holster when the wind just happens to blow my wind jackets pull string into the trigger where it snags and the weapon fires. I remember a news report of a man who was killed when a windbreaker pull caught in his trigger guard.

I've read many personal accounts of just the wrong thing happening at the wrong time in just the right way, and the next thing you know, you're having to explain to the cops how your weapon discharged. It wasn't people being negligent like cleaning the weapon before verifying it's state, it's things like not noticing a holster was damaged.

I see more inherent danger in carrying in condition zero than needing to chamber.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:17 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,465,596 times
Quote:
I think a handgun is a very difficult of a firearm to shoot well, there is less to hang on to. without practice, I wonder how can ANYBODY use a handgun as a weapon to defend him or herself.

That being said, I have a friend who supports war, who owns several guns, who is also a 45 year old single man (perhaps a virgin too). He believes that owning all these guns without skills will keep him safe. He is a good guy with multiple guns, I don't think he should own any. He has no kids, but has no problems sending other people's brothers to war, I found it disgusting.

A good guy with skills should have no problems. Let's not pretend every idiot out there should be owning a gun.
What I find disgusting is your inclusion of the virgin comment in a post about gun control. It served no relevant purpose whatsoever. Don't expect your opinions on an important issue to be taken seriously when you feel the need to include irrelevant juvenile insults.

Nobody pretends that everyone should be owning a gun. But the 2nd amendment exists. We need to err on the side of individual rights and freedom. That's why we have a presumption of innocence until guilt is proven. Given that we have a right to own a firearm, the burden of proof needs to be on the government that someone shouldn't own a firearm, not on the individual to prove he's worthy of owning one. The presumption needs to be that anybody who wants a gun can have a gun unless there is a compelling reason for that person not to have one.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:21 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
What did I say about law?

You my friend, are very far from being a Libertarian. Very far.

Background checks - I support an on the spot NICS check. It must be at the time of purchase and should not exceed ten minutes or so of the patrons time.
about the bolded. It is like telling a Christian, you are not true Christian. It is all right. No matter what you think I am, I am no politician.

According to the Libertarian platform,

1.7 Self-Defense

The only legitimate use of force is in defense of individual rights — life, liberty, and justly acquired property — against aggression. This right inheres in the individual, who may agree to be aided by any other individual or group. We affirm the individual right recognized by the Second Amendment to keep and bear arms, and oppose the prosecution of individuals for exercising their rights of self-defense. Private property owners should be free to establish their own conditions regarding the presence of personal defense weapons on their own property. We oppose all laws at any level of government restricting, registering, or monitoring the ownership, manufacture, or transfer of firearms or ammunition.

I agree with the bolded.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
What I'm saying is that I'm not above making an error. I can see the possibility of not thinking about how a specific piece of clothing may cause a discharge while carrying condition zero.

I can see myself out running errands. Suddenly, my wife calls and says I need to get her stamps on the way home. I pull into the Post Office on my way home. I am carrying. I pull my weapon to go into the Post Office, so that I don't violate the law, and lock it in my glove box. I go in and purchase my stamps and return to my car. I then go to place my gun back in the holster when the wind just happens to blow my wind jackets pull string into the trigger where it snags and the weapon fires. I remember a news report of a man who was killed when a windbreaker pull caught in his trigger guard.

I've read many personal accounts of just the wrong thing happening at the wrong time in just the right way, and the next thing you know, you're having to explain to the cops how your weapon discharged. It wasn't people being negligent like cleaning the weapon before verifying it's state, it's things like not noticing a holster was damaged.

I see more inherent danger in carrying in condition zero than needing to chamber.
I think you're a bit over the top regarding carrying zero, but the only thing that matters is what you are comfortable with doing personally. I personally wouldn't carry any other way, as that is how I am comfortable. There is no right or wrong answer, just what works for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies