Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 10:19 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I see a difference, WhipperSnapper.

At home, I'm far more knowledgeable about and in control of the situation. I'm not taking the risk into a public place, nor am I exposing anyone to harm unless they've made a conscious decision to enter my property without permission.
You just use different protocols.

At home, if it's 2 in the morning and you hear a window break, retrieving your gun and putting a round in the chamber is the proper protocol.

If you're walking down the street and you hear a window break, it's not the proper protocol.

At home, if you see a stranger in your kitchen in the middle of the night, pointing your gun at him may be the proper protocol.

If you're in a restaurant and a stranger walks up to your table, pointing your gun at him is NOT the proper protocol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 10:19 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,925 times
Quote:
I see a difference, WhipperSnapper.

At home, I'm far more knowledgeable about and in control of the situation. I'm not taking the risk into a public place, nor am I exposing anyone to harm unless they've made a conscious decision to enter my property without permission.
When carrying concealed with a CCW license outside the home, the only time there is the possibility of public risk is when your life is in imminent danger. That is the only time it is legal for you to brandish your firearm. Other than that situation, your firearm remains concealed and no one knows you are carrying.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:24 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,090,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Most important... when seconds count, the cops are minutes away.
And I've yet to find a cop who will both fit into my nightstand drawer *and* is willing to stay there quietly all night.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:25 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You just use different protocols.

At home, if it's 2 in the morning and you hear a window break, retrieving your gun and putting a round in the chamber is the proper protocol.

If you're walking down the street and you hear a window break, it's not the proper protocol.

At home, if you see a stranger in your kitchen in the middle of the night, pointing your gun at him may be the proper protocol.

If you're in a restaurant and a stranger walks up to your table, pointing your gun at him is NOT the proper protocol.
Very different conditions, too. If you're out and about in a Walmart you don't have the detailed knowledge, safeguards, alarms or other systems I listed.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
When carrying concealed with a CCW license outside the home, the only time there is the possibility of public risk is when your life is in imminent danger. That is the only time it is legal for you to brandish your firearm. Other than that situation, your firearm remains concealed and no one knows you are carrying.
That is, unless a toddler grabs your weapon, you drop your fannypack, sit down on the john and it falls out of your pocket, you adjust your waistband, you are showing it to your friend, etc., etc.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
The castle doctrine states that in your home, you have the right to use lethal force against an intruder.

Castle doctrine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'd protect my home and family whether it was the law or not.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:30 AM

15,638 posts, read 10,396,089 times
I hate guns. I am afraid of them. That being said, I have guns in my home and would use one of them if an intruder came into my home in a second.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:42 AM

8,514 posts, read 4,494,847 times
I'm not a gun person. Don't own one. Never shot one. Never laid a finger on one, although at some point I'd like to try one at a shooting range under controlled situations, and find out what all the fuss is about.

I don't think I'd be a good bet to have a gun in my house. I'd be too scared it could be used against me.

Thankfully, I live close to the police station and keep my doors locked. I also live in a safe neighborhood. I don't see the need for me personally to own a gun. If I felt I needed extra protection, I'd either get an alarm system, or a dog such as a German Shepherd.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:43 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
I'm not going to get into being armed outside ones home, in this instance. To my mind, there is a big difference twixt home intruders and a random street encounter with a bipred. Discounting any factor of outside carry, the OPs thinking as to defense in the home is quite correct. In ones home, strategy is a factor, not just tactics, as on the street or in the field.

I applaud the OP, for recognizing that, lining up his resources, and, first and foremost, having a plan. Unless an intended uses explosives, upon entry, if they are in my house, they are in deep doo doo. There is no approach to my fall back point that can be breached, without getting scragged by my 12 ga, and the approach is narrow, only allowing one person at a time, single file.

It is, literally, home field advantage. Verily, there is nothing in my home that an intruder would feel is worth their life, but, if they wish to find out for themselves, it will be an expensive venture.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:01 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,925 times
Quote:
That is, unless a toddler grabs your weapon, you drop your fannypack, sit down on the john and it falls out of your pocket, you adjust your waistband, you are showing it to your friend, etc., etc.
Responsible CCW licensees use an approved holster that securely retains your firearm on your hip or with a pocket holster. Anyone who carrys in his waistband with no holster must have never attended a CCW class and is probably not licensed. We are adamant about teaching people the proper method to carry. I believe you should always carry on your person, then you are always in control, and that is what I promote at my CCW classes. Firearms are not a toy that you show friends. If for any reason you must unholster to hand your firearm to someone, you remove the magazine, rack the slide in a safe direction to remove any round that is chambered and you hand the gun to the person with the slide locked back so anyone can see into the chamber, and verify that it is clear. If it is a revolver, you hand it off unloaded, with the cylinder open.

Last edited by Orlandochuck1; 02-03-2015 at 12:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies