Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 07:22 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I rarely think people are stupid.
That's a good point. They aren't stupid, but they do some foolish and careless things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 07:37 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
We also know that the risks associated with wild country hunting are a choice. To choose to live somewhere that a reasonable person deems the risk equating to the carrying of a firearm being prudent requires a special kind of disconnect from sensible thought.
Sometimes some people have little choice but to live in or go through high crime areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That's a good point. They aren't stupid, but they do some foolish and careless things.
And we'll never pass enough laws to stop such things.

People fail to look backing out of their drives causing wrecks daily. Is the answer to have a stop sign at every driveway? It would stop a lot of accidents and injuries to careless people and those they back in front of.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:44 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
I don't, but I also don't feel the need to carry in most circumstances. I'm just pointing out that the average person is "less safe." This is because the average person is stupid. The average person is more likely to find trouble while packing heat. That's just a fact........
I'm not sure that is indeed a "fact" as you state. There are plenty of stupid people, lord knows I've trained a few to get their CCW. But the stats I've read says there are over 11 million CCW in the country, and you rarely read about CCW carriers getting into trouble with their gun. In fact CCW's are less likely than the average person to commit crimes. The percentage of CCW's that are revoked do to crime vs the amount of CCWs issued is very small.

"Revocations and suspensions occur when people are charged with a crime, but only about 5 percent
or less of these cases result in conviction and thus people are eligible for having their licenses
reinstated. Over the last five years that revocation data is available (2009 to 2013), the rate
is 0.13%."

http://crimepreventionresearchcenter.org/2014/07/cprc-concealed-carry-report-in-the-news/

Old 02-04-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
And we'll never pass enough laws to stop such things.

People fail to look backing out of their drives causing wrecks daily. Is the answer to have a stop sign at every driveway? It would stop a lot of accidents and injuries to careless people and those they back in front of.
Passing laws isn't the only way to change conduct.

Why don't we just deal with unsafe gun storage and handling the same way we treat dangerous activities like drunk driving and texting while driving? (No need to ban cars, cellphones or alcohol).

Granted, you won't solve every situation but you can sure make substantial improvements.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:48 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,995,391 times
Quote:
I'm sure a child could not access my gun safes and that is my concern.

Could some determined thief bust in? Probably, but that's not my major concern.
I meant children. They are very creative and observant. In a study I read some time ago, a majority of boy in the age range of 8-10 when handed a gun will pull the trigger.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
I meant children. They are very creative and observant. In a study I read some time ago, a majority of boy in the age range of 8-10 when handed a gun will pull the trigger.
I don't doubt that a bit.

However, I can't imagine a child breaching either the wall safe where my shotguns are stored or the quick access pistol safe. Yes, a thief could steal the latter and take it somewhere and saw or bash it in, but if somebody wants a gun there are much easier ways to obtain one.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:01 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Passing laws isn't the only way to change conduct.

Why don't we just deal with unsafe gun storage and handling the same way we treat dangerous activities like drunk driving and texting while driving? (No need to ban cars, cellphones or alcohol).

Granted, you won't solve every situation but you can sure make substantial improvements.
"Passing laws isn't the only way to change conduct."

Has it ever worked?

Let's look at a little history, Prohibition, War on Drugs, War on Poverty, etc., etc., etc.

And the results are?

Old 02-04-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Passing laws isn't the only way to change conduct."

Has it ever worked?

Let's look at a little history, Prohibition, War on Drugs, War on Poverty, etc., etc., etc.

And the results are?
I'm not interested in prohibition and no, it doesn't work.

But yeah, we've made lots of progress with things like drunk driving. No prohibition was required -- cars, drinking and alcoholic beverages are still totally legal.

I don't know the stats on texting-while-driving but for myself and people I know there's a MUCH heightened awareness of the danger of doing this. I absolutely do not do it and know many others who feel the same way.

It's about creating and reinforcing safer attitudes and behaviors. What's the objection to that?

Old 02-04-2015, 10:34 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,505 times
Quote:
I'm not interested in prohibition and no, it doesn't work.

But yeah, we've made lots of progress with things like drunk driving. No prohibition was required -- cars, drinking and alcoholic beverages are still totally legal.

I don't know the stats on texting-while-driving but for myself and people I know there's a MUCH heightened awareness of the danger of doing this. I absolutely do not do it and know many others who feel the same way.

It's about creating and reinforcing safer attitudes and behaviors. What's the objection to that?
Please elaborate how you would do this?

In the firearm community there are many programs that promote gun safety. When you buy a new gun, it comes with a trigger lock and safety warnings, including safe storage. If you are looking to educate kids and adults, there are lots of NRA programs to get involved with. You just have to be willing to participate.
Public Service commercials on TV, target everyone because about everyone drives, same with texting, and drunk driving.
Guns on the other hand are more of a niche community. Not everyone has a firearm and those who don't are not necessarily open to watching ads on TV about guns or gun safety. Many uniformed people think you are promoting gun violence if they see anything advocating guns or gun safety programs on TV. The NRA has struggled with networks and cable channels to get messages out there. Only if you watch cable outdoor channels are you likely to see gun safety messages.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:36 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,995,391 times
Quote:
I don't doubt that a bit.

However, I can't imagine a child breaching either the wall safe where my shotguns are stored or the quick access pistol safe. Yes, a thief could steal the latter and take it somewhere and saw or bash it in, but if somebody wants a gun there are much easier ways to obtain one.
My only experience with a gun safe is my brother in law. I asked his 30 year old daughter if she ever snuck into the safe when no adults were home. She said, "Oh yeah". As kids we used to get into the gun cabinet on a regular basis and my father kept a loaded 45 in his bedside table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies