Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 10:37 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,996,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Passing laws isn't the only way to change conduct."

Has it ever worked?

Let's look at a little history, Prohibition, War on Drugs, War on Poverty, etc., etc., etc.

And the results are?
The Brits have found gun control laws to be very effective at reducing murders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 10:40 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Please elaborate how you would do this?
Well, I've already done that many times in other threads but I will do it again when I have a minute.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:40 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
My only experience with a gun safe is my brother in law. I asked his 30 year old daughter if she ever snuck into the safe when no adults were home. She said, "Oh yeah". As kids we used to get into the gun cabinet on a regular basis and my father kept a loaded 45 in his bedside table.

Quote:
I meant children. They are very creative and observant. In a study I read some time ago, a majority of boy in the age range of 8-10 when handed a gun will pull the trigger.

LOL.. Thanks for the laugh....

Old 02-04-2015, 10:43 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
My only experience with a gun safe is my brother in law. I asked his 30 year old daughter if she ever snuck into the safe when no adults were home. She said, "Oh yeah". As kids we used to get into the gun cabinet on a regular basis and my father kept a loaded 45 in his bedside table.
Wouldn't work at my place.

No one can open the safes but me and I sure as heck wouldn't leave a loaded .45 laying around.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:43 AM

35,704 posts, read 21,070,199 times
I think it is fine- keep away from kids and TEENS and do what you have to- in my car I carry a metal police stick. wont save me from a bullet maybe- but might be instrumental on a personal attack- like pepper spray

Old 02-04-2015, 11:31 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
I don't, but I also don't feel the need to carry in most circumstances. I'm just pointing out that the average person is "less safe." This is because the average person is stupid. The average person is more likely to find trouble while packing heat. That's just a fact........
I must, with respect, disagree. I know a lot of people who carry, as I do myself. All of us are set in our minds that trouble is the last thing we want, and our situational awareness goes into overdrive. Also, we will back down from confrontation, even if we are in the right. Some clown could call my Mother a 2 bit hooker, malign my lineage as less than subhuman, even push me, physically, but unless they offer up harm or produce a weapon, they won't get a rise out of me, if I am armed.

Contrary to what some believe, its NOT the "wild west" out there. Nobody is getting guns pulled on them over personal insult or the price of a spilled drink. Quite the opposite. Concealed carry , actually, means good conflict resolution skills. As an armed citizen, there is a non negotiable duty, to back down from altercations of a non life threatening nature. Its written in stone.

So, as to being armed leading to trouble, more often than not, I can't hold with that theory. In my personal experience, it just ain't so.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:06 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,180,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I must, with respect, disagree. I know a lot of people who carry, as I do myself. All of us are set in our minds that trouble is the last thing we want, and our situational awareness goes into overdrive. Also, we will back down from confrontation, even if we are in the right. Some clown could call my Mother a 2 bit hooker, malign my lineage as less than subhuman, even push me, physically, but unless they offer up harm or produce a weapon, they won't get a rise out of me, if I am armed.

Contrary to what some believe, its NOT the "wild west" out there. Nobody is getting guns pulled on them over personal insult or the price of a spilled drink. Quite the opposite. Concealed carry , actually, means good conflict resolution skills. As an armed citizen, there is a non negotiable duty, to back down from altercations of a non life threatening nature. Its written in stone.

So, as to being armed leading to trouble, more often than not, I can't hold with that theory. In my personal experience, it just ain't so.
Meh, the bulk of people I know that carry daily, have no business doing so, and the fact that all one has to do to legally carry in my state is to pay a small fee, insures that a significant portion of these apes don't even understand the laws regarding carrying a concealed weapon. It's nice to know that there are responsible people like yourself out there; however, I feel that there should be a lot more hoops to jump through to legally carry a gun into public whether concealed or open. Some basic safety, marksmanship, and a general knowledge of the law never hurt anyone. It's when I hear about some local idiot accidentally blowing his penis off in a parking lot because he was carrying a double action pistol with the hammer cocked or some loser shoot a bum for kicking at his dog, that I question the notion that there should be more to legally carrying a gun into public.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:44 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

(1) If somebody is in my home without permission, there's a high probability they are up to no good.

(2) If I am at home, there's a good chance my safety is in danger. There's very little guesswork or speculation involved.

(3) In my home I can strictly control access to firearms with a quick access safe.

(4) I know the territory intimately and am familiar with tactical and defensive positions that would allow me to avoid a confrontation and/or hopefully get the upper hand if that's the only option.

(5) I generally know who else might be lawfully present, so the risk of harming an innocent bystander is low. We live in an old house set back from the road and the doors and walls are thick.

(6) In my home I have access to other effective but less deadly weapons.

(7) I'm not taking a deadly weapon into public space and putting others at risk.

(8) I have alarm, lighting and surveillance systems to give me an edge.

(9) I have dogs to deter intruders and give me an early heads-up.

(10) I know specific details about the neighborhood, who's normally there, and what the risks are.

So what do y'all think? Am I right or am I off track?
There will be very little guess work or speculation for the bad guys if you're giving out this much information (starting with you own a gun and leave it in your house when you're not home) in real life.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:19 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,085,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
Meh, the bulk of people I know that carry daily, have no business doing so, and the fact that all one has to do to legally carry in my state is to pay a small fee, insures that a significant portion of these apes don't even understand the laws regarding carrying a concealed weapon. It's nice to know that there are responsible people like yourself out there; however, I feel that there should be a lot more hoops to jump through to legally carry a gun into public whether concealed or open. Some basic safety, marksmanship, and a general knowledge of the law never hurt anyone. It's when I hear about some local idiot accidentally blowing his penis off in a parking lot because he was carrying a double action pistol with the hammer cocked or some loser shoot a bum for kicking at his dog, that I question the notion that there should be more to legally carrying a gun into public.
All states have different requirements for licensing concealed carry. Most shall issue states require providing proof of attending a CCW class that teaches the state carry laws. Most states also require proof of a firearm proficiency test. I've attended seminars at the Shot Show for NRA instructors and I never heard that there are states that don't require some sort of class time. I learn something new everyday.

Old 02-04-2015, 03:20 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,180,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
All states have different requirements for licensing concealed carry. Most shall issue states require providing proof of attending a CCW class that teaches the state carry laws. Most states also require proof of a firearm proficiency test. I've attended seminars at the Shot Show for NRA instructors and I never heard that there are states that don't require some sort of class time. I learn something new everyday.
This is true. When I lived in Texas, a class was required; however, her in Washington state, all it takes is a small fee, 5 minutes worth of paperwork, and a short waiting period to get a CCW permit. For someone like myself that's been around guns their whole life, it's no big deal, but for some 21 year old kid that's never even shot a gun to get one in such a manner is absolutely ludicrous, and I see it all the time. You will see these people that already have their permits at the pawn shop purchasing their first gun, which always seems to be some POS $150 throw away.

WA is also an open carry state, which is another thing that I don't believe any idiot that's old enough to purchase a gun should be able to do without proof of safety knowledge, marksmanship, and an understanding of gun laws in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies