Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 01:48 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,180,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
So you say. And you seem to be proud of it, which is great. Thus? Not that you are required to in the least...why don't post all this experience you have on a profile? After all, you doing it here, but not there...

Of course it is common sense, but you are obviously attempting to, in making your "point", steer the argument in a different direction. Demographics are different, of course. But what does that have to do with this "point" you seem to be originally trying to take...?

No. Texas as of yet, does not permit "open carry" for handguns. I hope we eventually do, but that was not what you are talking about. Long guns and shotguns are a different matter.

Yep, I am from Texas. Dam proud of it! Where are you from...or feel like you are from?

*shrug* Who is everybody? You?

Yeah, I will live my life in fear...yet I will be prepared if that "fear" (as you call it! LMAO) should become a reality. But anyway, that is wonderful that you live around "educated" people. However, I bet a dollar to a donut, those same folks will being praying like hell if -- in that small chance -- they might be assaulted, robbed, raped, mugged, home-invaded, car-jacked, or in a situation they are in a place that will later become front page news for a mass-shooting (always in no-carry zones), they will be cowering and praying like hell someone has a gun to stop the bad guy. Or wish they had one themselves.

Spare your balony, it doesn't fool anyone. Your stats are based on false info, and make not a lick of difference if real lives are in danger. When that happens? Then all "gun-control" laws become irrelevant for the very simple fact, it is immediate survivial.
We agree to disagree

I respect your opinion either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 04:07 AM

2,765 posts, read 2,793,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
In my mind there's a difference between protecting your home from intruders and casually carrying a loaded weapon in places like Walmart.

A few of my reasons:

(1) If somebody is in my home without permission, there's a high probability they are up to no good.

(2) If I am at home, there's a good chance my safety is in danger. There's very little guesswork or speculation involved.

(3) In my home I can strictly control access to firearms with a quick access safe.

(4) I know the territory intimately and am familiar with tactical and defensive positions that would allow me to avoid a confrontation and/or hopefully get the upper hand if that's the only option.

(5) I generally know who else might be lawfully present, so the risk of harming an innocent bystander is low. We live in an old house set back from the road and the doors and walls are thick.

(6) In my home I have access to other effective but less deadly weapons.

(7) I'm not taking a deadly weapon into public space and putting others at risk.

(8) I have alarm, lighting and surveillance systems to give me an edge.

(9) I have dogs to deter intruders and give me an early heads-up.

(10) I know specific details about the neighborhood, who's normally there, and what the risks are.

So what do y'all think? Am I right or am I off track?

Has anyone ever broke into your house?

Old 02-07-2015, 04:45 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,046 times
Of course it's reasonable to keep a gun in your home for personal protection. Just be sure to store it responsibly and teach your kids basic gun safety at an early age. It's also reasonable to conceal carry, so long as you train with your weapon and are competent to use it. It's very unlikely you will ever need a gun to protect yourself, but if you do it will come in pretty handy in the moment.

And for those people who are anti-gun, it's reasonable to not own a firearm as long as you accept that if someone breaks into your home to hurt your family, help is likely 20 minutes away. Guns are like parachutes, if you need one and don't have it, you won't need it again. However, it's very unlikely that anyone will ever actually threaten your safety, so I understand why you choose not to own one.

Old 02-07-2015, 01:02 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
Has anyone ever broke into your house?
Yes, but only once when a gun might have made a difference.

Back around 2002 we had a prowler. He came knocking on the door about 3 am. At first I thought it might be a friend or neighbor in trouble, but I called the cops anyway. They arrived within minutes and chased the guy down on foot. It turned out he was pretty harmless but I was glad we had protection.

The other time was about 30 years ago and we were out of town.

Old 02-07-2015, 05:26 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,613,058 times
Quote:
=Shankapotomus;38341812]Has anyone ever broke into your house?
Has anyone ever broken into yours? Or have you ever in an establishment where some nut came in to start killing everyone in sight? Probably never. Just as I never have been, either. I hope I never am.

BUT...I would damn sure have the means to protect myself or those loved ones/friends, with me.

What would you have? A pacifist philosophy, and willingness to die for it?

It absolutely amazes me how many people honestly seem to believe that "statistics" will save them. No one ever thinks anything will happen to them in that regard. Yet if and when it ever does... remote a chance as it might be? Then unless you are prepared to die for some weird ideology of non-violence in response to someone else's intent to kill you and everybody else in sight, then you probably oughta have some means to deal with it.

And keep in mind too, that just because you are truly willing to go out for the above principles (and I sincerely respect it if you do), doesn't mean others want to get killed for no other reason than that they are helpless to fight back...

Old 02-07-2015, 05:28 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,613,058 times
Quote:
=lucky4life;38341524]We agree to disagree I respect your opinion either way.
Likewise. We don't agree at all, but I appreciate a worthy opponent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies