Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vote for somebody who doesn't have a degree?
Yes 153 72.51%
No 58 27.49%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 05:58 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
All of the presidents who did not have college degrees were born in the 18th or 19th century.

66% of the presidents who served between Washington and Truman were college graduates. Woodrow Wilson was a college president.

77% of all US presidents have been college graduates.

All presidents who served in the last 60 years have been college grads, and several have had graduate degrees.
So we are regressing on the ladder of evolution, so that our presidents are too dumb unless they are held by the hand and book learned in a room with 50 other students like they were in an assembly line?

Many presidents who did graduate from college and were elected 30-40 years later. College was their formative years, everything else they acquired after college is what made them the man we elected as president. Besides, most of the worthless crap they learned in college was forgotten.

The point is, go to college, fine, but the things you learn later are self taught, or come from personal experiences are more important to who you are as an adult, then the wild days of college, partying, and falling asleep in class.

So in the old days, men could be self taught and go on to be great presidents, but today they are dumb as dirt.

There is a reason we do not elect kids right out of college to be president, they don't really know anything yet.

Here's some very wealthy people who also did not graduate from college:

Steve Jobs
Bill Gates
Frank Lloyd Wright
Buckminster Fulle
James Cameron
Mark Zuckerberg

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-12-2015 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: hotlinking and/or copyright violation

Old 02-12-2015, 05:58 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Not surprisingly, your post is getting drowned out by anti-intellectual thinking (or at least those who seem very distrusting of formal education), but I think you make a great point. A degree isn't the "be all, end all", but it does imply a certain base level of education, and a level of commitment and responsibility since degrees involve following through with an educational accomplishment.

With that said, I don't think the biggest red flag for a candidate would be that they don't have a degree but that they don't respect a degree or the pursuit of being well rounded and balancing practical skills with higher, abstract critical thinking. If someone is mouthing off about others "being all highfalutin gettin' em' one of thowse diplomas at some colledge in da big Sid-E", is that the kind of person we want making important decisions about education policy, public safety or economic development?

If a candidate is extremely knowledgeable or skilled and has intelligence or experience that's commensurate or exceeds the qualifications that a degree bestows upon a person, but doesn't happen to have a traditional degree, I don't think that's as much of a deal breaker as the candidate who foolishly celebrates a lack of education in themselves or others.
Of course. This is only common sense.

These posters think that you can just grab the local mechanic and make him the president because he's plain spoken, bombastic, gives a firm handshake, looks you in the eye, and drives a pickup.

This type of thinking drives me nuts.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:59 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
This statement is my feeling in general and has nothing to do with Scott Walker.

That being said, I'll take common sense and practicality over a college degree any day of the week in most regards.
They aren't mutually exclusive and I'd rather have both rolled into one !

Old 02-12-2015, 06:00 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,609,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
most politicians happen to have law degrees, and the only people that are worse than lawyers are tax agents.
I think that's an over-generalization about lawyers, but I do think that sometimes they are over-represented. Some elected officials that have some really great come from other backgrounds (i.e. medical doctors, chemistry professors, etc.). But some actors need to just stick with acting and not ride the coat tails of their fame into elected office. And it might not be bad to have a plumber (one who's really intelligent and knows about the science of why it's not a good idea to pollute the water supply and contaminate wells, the economics of running a small business, and great skills in dealing with people). Just as long as it's not that Joe the Plumber guy.

The key is the elected officials in a representative government should be representative of the population they serve, but they do need to be the best and the brightest in whatever they do, and most importantly, use that brain power for the public good, and not to head down the path of corruption or egocentricity (which both happen much too often). In my opinion, they can be from different backgrounds (white collar and blue collar), but the intelligence that's needed for an elected official is the ability to let those various skills be transferable to making decisions on behalf of those they serve that aren't always so easy to decipher.

Also, just very generally, I think the higher up a candidate goes (having to deal with a larger, more complex population) should raise the bar on experience, education, and intelligence. In other words, someone who is very effective at being Mayor of a small, rural community may not be so well qualified to be Governor of a large, densely populated state.

Last edited by Jowel; 02-12-2015 at 07:01 PM..

Old 02-12-2015, 06:06 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
=Bruce Jackpot;38420615]I'll keep this post in mind when trying to fluff up my liberal arts degree in some job interview. I'm cultured!

Kidding aside, liberal arts for some reason always get the "useless" rap but many other majors whom are equally unmarketable get a pass.

Must be a C-D thing?
Everyone on CD has a highly specialized STEM degree. Keep that in mind. Lol

People running for president should have an in depth liberal arts background. I don't know why anyone would sneer at that assertion.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:53 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post

What are you going to do about it? I keep daydreaming about being a street-corner bum. Newport Beach, California, I need to go there and bug you.
First you'll need to learn they're called beach bums in Newport Beach and you'll probably have to strip naked and set fire to yourself if you want to set yourself apart from the dozens of guys, many of them with a college education, who do pretty much nothing but hang out, smoke pot and surf.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 02-12-2015 at 07:15 PM..

Old 02-12-2015, 06:57 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
While I answered yes, I'd qualify it by level of office. For POTUS, my answer would be a resounding no.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:58 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I don't think I will. Governor Walker may have trouble being elected president for not having a degree.

Scott Walker has no college degree. That’s normal for an American, but not a president. - The Washington Post
Hey-

America voted for a coke snorting, pot smoking, communist, Muslim with no viable experience and no college transcripts for POTUS.

I don't see why (in comparison) no college degree is a big deal.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:03 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
I respect people who are scholarly and have gotten a good education, but a college degree is not the only road to success.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:10 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
The worst American prez ever was also the only prez who held a PhD: Woodrow Wilson. He kicked off the war on drugs (Harrison act of 1913), started the federal income tax, which was only supposed to impact the very rich. He started the concept of US as world police with WWI. He tossed people in jail for speech (Schenk case), initiated the swarms of federal police that we have now, and was a stalwart proponent of racial segregation.

Harry Truman, now rated by historians as a great prez, did not have a college degree. Ronald Reagan attained a degree at a minor university only because he was a good football player.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies