Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2015, 10:40 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
Care to defend that assumption?
What assumption? The high cost of living in NYC? The income needed to rent is typically 40 times the rent. $70K will get you a $1750/month apartment. In NYC, that doesn't get you much, nor does it get you close in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 10:44 PM

1,160 posts, read 714,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
What assumption? The high cost of living in NYC? The income needed to rent is typically 40 times the rent. $70K will get you a $1750/month apartment. In NYC, that doesn't get you much, nor does it get you close in.
So that would be a no.

$850/mo

Most Pets Welcome In This One Bedroom

$905/mo

Beautiful Contemporary 2 Bedroom Unit

I've just cut your rent in half.

$970
http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/abo/4905348795.html

$1600

http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/abo/4876935557.html

$1475
http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/abo/4909425168.html

Yeah, your assumptions are turning out to be bull****.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:03 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,962,184 times
20 Million a year is to low for a CEO, why not 100 million by moving operations to China. What could possibly go wrong.

There are consequences to raising minimum wage in the markets and there also consequences to moving your operations overseas to gain more profits also in the markets to the detriment of your consumers.

Eventually it comes back to bite you.
There is no Free Lunch

We have been told that it would cost 2000 for our 500 dollar monitors.
It is all lies
Consumers are being gouged to prop up Wall Street Global Investors and Globalist Corporations

http://time.com/3426087/apple-iphone-6-cost/
Apple’s $649 iPhone 6 Reportedly Costs $200 to Make

That excess profit is being used to funnel investment back into other countries, not this country

The real leeches in this country are not at the bottom, but the very top

Last edited by J746NEW; 02-26-2015 at 11:12 PM..

Old 02-26-2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Far out in the Bronx, like I said, not close in, expect at least an hour commute to get to where you work....and it is the Bronx, not the safest of places to live.

Quote:
I've just cut your rent in half.

$970
Newly updated 2 br / 1 bath Apt.... Great Location
East Hampton? When did East Hampton become NYC? Might as well tell me you found a cheap apartment in Philadelphia.

Quote:
$1600

Large 1BR close from subways and JFK airport

$1475
Gorgeous 2 Br Apartment With Redesigned Kitchen

Yeah, your assumptions are turning out to be bull****.
Kew Gardens and Manhattan Beach are also far out neighborhoods.

You must have been confused when I said it doesn't get you much, nor does it get you close in. None of these places would classify as "close in." So nice try at trying to act like you one upped me for no reason, but this is a swing and a miss on your part.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Far out in the Bronx, like I said, not close in, expect at least an hour commute to get to where you work....and it is the Bronx, not the safest of places to live.

East Hampton? When did East Hampton become NYC? Might as well tell me you found a cheap apartment in Philadelphia.

Kew Gardens and Manhattan Beach are also far out neighborhoods.

You must have been confused when I said it doesn't get you much, nor does it get you close in. None of these places would classify as "close in." So nice try at trying to act like you one upped me for no reason, but this is a swing and a miss on your part.

So, convenience is an entitlement now? An hours commute is too much to ask? I'm sorry, I do not think living closer to work is really a practical reason to raise the minimum wage.

hint: this is you asserting another false premise that it must be close in with out validating it as practical reason.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:32 PM

Quote:
So, convenience is an entitlement now? An hours commute is too much to ask? I'm sorry, I do not think living closer to work is really a practical reason to raise the minimum wage.
What are you talking about? What does that have to do with the high cost of living I was commenting on in NYC? You could live 3 hours from work for all I care. You are just trying to create an argument by trying to bait, which is a violation of the TOS, I have no interest in playing your game.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:35 PM

Quote:
What are you talking about? What does that have to do with the high cost of living I was commenting on in NYC? You could live 3 hours from work for all I care. You are just trying to create an argument by trying to bait, which is a violation of the TOS, I have no interest in playing your game.

No I'm not, I asked if you wanted to defend the assumption that you cant make it on 70K based on rent alone, I showed you several apartments that you can get for half the rent price you stated, now you want to say my postings are not relevant because a commute is required. You keep saying people cant make it and I'm showing you they can....but you have to keep adding requirements with out justifying them. If you cant handle criticisms about your post, stop posting because your post leave a lot to be critical of.

It seems to me you can not handle criticism. The moment you are challenged you want to cry TOS violation which is bizarre in a political discussion.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:38 PM

Quote:
No I'm not, I asked if you wanted to defend the assumption that you cant make it on 70K based on rent alone, I showed you several apartments that you can get for half the rent price you stated, now you want to say my postings are not relevant because a commute is required. You keep saying people cant make it and I'm showing you they can....but you have to keep adding requirements with out justifying them. If you cant handle criticisms about your post, stop posting because your post leave a lot to be critical of.
Yes you did, congratulations, you showed that if one wants to rent in NYC making $70K or less, then they better be prepared to live in a bad neighborhood of have a very long commute. That is sort of like stating the obvious, and goes with what I said, don't expect to live close in on $70K in NYC, and you proved that I am correct.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Yes you did, congratulations, you showed that if one wants to rent in NYC making $70K or less, then they better be prepared to live in a bad neighborhood of have a very long commute. That is sort of like stating the obvious, and goes with what I said, don't expect to live close in on $70K in NYC, and you proved that I am correct.
No, I proved this wrong.

Quote:
$70K or $35/hr doesn't get one much in NYC without a partner that also makes about that much at least.
To which you changed the goal post to:

Quote:
That is sort of like stating the obvious, and goes with what I said, don't expect to live close in on $70K in NYC, and you proved that I am correct.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:43 PM

Quote:
No, I proved this wrong.

To which you changed the goal post to:
Yep, you clearly proved me wrong except you missed the very last part of that post.

Quote:
Let me know when you learn what "doesn't get you much" or "nor does it get you close in" means. Again, I have no interest in your need for petty fights, so I will be moving on because this thread isn't about the rents in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies