Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2015, 09:37 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
Dude, you've yet to explain why its practical to keep wages in line with inflation. I've read through this entire thread and its not here.

Quite simply, I cant disagree or agree with something that has not been articulated. The problem you are having is you automatically accept that keeping wages in line with inflation is a practical reason, yet you cant elaborate why. In other words you are unable to validate the practicality of your reasoning.

I do not know how else to explain this too you. Simply saying something is practical, does not make it practical.
I will say it one more time, raising the minimum wage makes it so those making the least amount of money are able to have the minimum wage keep up with inflation so that purchasing power isn't reduced. The more the purchasing power is reduced, the less the value of their hours worked is worth. By increasing their purchasing power, it helps our economy by making is so those that make the least have more money to spend on day to day things.

You are free to agree or disagree with this all you want, I am not going to explain it to you again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 09:57 PM

1,160 posts, read 713,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I will say it one more time, raising the minimum wage makes it so those making the least amount of money are able to have the minimum wage keep up with inflation so that purchasing power isn't reduced.
Why should I worry about purchasing power? Purchasing power is a constantly fluctuating variable. Can you name me the optimal purchasing power and and why its optimal?

Quote:
The more the purchasing power is reduced, the less the value of their hours worked is worth.
Employees get the benefit of when purchasing power increases. Will they get a pay cut in those instances? Its impractical and impossible to make employees invulnerable to changing economic conditions.

Quote:
By increasing their purchasing power, it helps our economy by making is so those that make the least have more money to spend on day to day things.
Here is the critical flaw; Wages do not determine purchasing power, there is an enormous amount of variables that goes into what determines purchasing power and those variables are constantly changing.

Purchasing power is a constantly changing variable that fluctuates and minimum wage is static. Its impossible to control an employees purchasing power by mandating minimum wage.

I refute your premise that its practical to keep minimum wage in line with inflation.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Why should I worry about purchasing power? Purchasing power is a constantly fluctuating variable. Can you name me the optimal purchasing power and and why its optimal?

Employees get the benefit of when purchasing power increases. Will they get a pay cut in those instances? Its impractical and impossible to make employees invulnerable to changing economic conditions.

Here is the critical flaw; Wages do not determine purchasing power, there is an enormous amount of variables that goes into what determines purchasing power and those variables are constantly changing.

Purchasing power is a constantly changing variable that fluctuates and minimum wage is static. Its impossible to control an employees purchasing power by mandating minimum wage.

I refute your premise that its practical to keep minimum wage in line with inflation.
Well you are welcome to this opinion and free to think we shouldn't increase or have a minimum wage.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:04 PM

FYI: You never responded to this post.

Quote:
Not really but if I skip a step you wont understand.

Give me a practical reason why I should care about the purchasing power of minimum wage earners..

EDIT: what is the demographic of the minimum wage worker?

EDIT: I also would like to know why you cherry picked 1968 as the start of your study on "falling behind"?

In other words, purchasing power fluctuates. Purchasing power is not an effective metric for determining minimum wage because its ambiguous and prone to market forces. Liberal politicians and pundits use purchasing power because its easy to cherry pick dates to show some dramatic inequality. Minimum wage is a popular topic for the liberal base, its used to rally them. Minimum wage is a political tool. Conservatives want to say how unfair it is the rich have to pay for lazy workers and the liberals want to say how unfair it is a low wage earner cant get ahead. Both are bull**** arguments. The reality is minimum wage is obsolete. No matter how much you hate it, the market determines the cost of goods, i.e. labor (its the simple reality).

Old 02-26-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Well you are welcome to this opinion and free to think we shouldn't increase or have a minimum wage.
So once again you are unwilling to defend your assumptions. My information is supported by empirical evidence and economic facts, yours is entirely based on conjecture. You've yet to attack my premise which indicates you either dont understand it or cant find fault. In either case, its proven that you have no ability to discuss this intelligently and only want to pass along typical liberal talking points to which you cant defend. Good game. I'm not interested in your opinions, i'm interested in why you have your opinions because the why either validates or invalidate the opinion.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
So once again you are unwilling to defend your assumptions. My information is supported by empirical evidence and economic facts. Yours is entirely based on conjecture.
No, I am unwilling to waste my time with a random person online who has obviously made up their own opinion and have no interest in changing that opinion when given a practical reason for something. So good luck finding someone else to argue with, it will not be me.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:09 PM

20,327 posts, read 19,914,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
$50 an hour? That's a bit high, don't you think?
Not for those who want to live well in Manhattan of San Fran. They're people too.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
No, I am unwilling to waste my time with a random person online who has obviously made up their own opinion and have no interest in changing that opinion when given a practical reason for something. So good luck finding someone else to argue with, it will not be me.
Wow, do you often make assumptions and pass them off as facts and think thats how intelligent and reasonable people discuss things? Why are you posting if you are unwilling to waste your time. You stated your opinion and want to pass off something as incredibly inefficient as managing a employees purchasing power as practical.... Next time dont pretend to want to discuss something if you dont want to waste your time defending your ignorant assumptions.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Not for those who want to live well in Manhattan of San Fran. They're people too.
$70K or $35/hr doesn't get one much in NYC without a partner that also makes about that much at least.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
$70K or $35/hr doesn't get one much in NYC without a partner that also makes about that much at least.
Care to defend that assumption?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies