Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2015, 08:39 PM

1,160 posts, read 714,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
The Broken wind fallacy doesn't hold. Increasing wage increases demand. We have been trading a reduction in future consumption for an increase in present consumption for the past 3 1/2 decades.
This is wrong for the same reasons why raising the minimum wage to $1,000,000/hour would not increase demand and would immediately shut the entire economy down, just imagine it being orders of magnitudes less but with the same systemic issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Really.

Getting an increase in present consumption isn't practical?

Then I declare you the winner too. go play by yourself.
You think the broken window fallacy doesn't hold and you are wrong as indicated in my previous post, besides, I was not replying to you.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:44 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,386,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
This is wrong for the same reasons why raising the minimum wage to $1,000,000/hour would not increase demand and would immediately shut the entire economy down, just imagine it being orders of magnitudes less but with the same systemic issues.
I will get back to you later.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:45 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Okay, I'll declare victory.
Okay, feel free to declare yourself "the winner." I have no interest in explaining something to you over and over when it is clear you have no interest in accepting that practical answer.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Okay, feel free to declare yourself "the winner." I have no interest in explaining something to you over and over when it is clear you have no interest in accepting that practical answer.
I find it funny you can give the "practical answer" but cant explain why. What's the matter, the article you got this bull**** from did not elaborate? I can empathize, its the typical political columnist, makes a whole bunch of points with out really demonstrating why they are important. All you can repeat is "minimum wage needs to be kept inline with inflation" but cant explain why. This is why you fail at discussing issues.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I find it funny you can give the "practical answer" but cant explain why. What's the matter, the article you got this bull**** from did not elaborate? I can empathize, its the typical political columnist, makes a whole bunch of points with out really demonstrating why they are important. All you can repeat is "minimum wage needs to be kept inline with inflation" but cant explain why. This is why you fail at discussing issues.
Why? I don't gain anything from explaining something to you when you have no interest in listening. It is very clear to me that I would be wasting my time doing so. You think minimum wage is non practical or whatever and you are going to stick to that opinion no matter what, so no practical factual reason I could give you is going to change your opinion. I know this, you know this, and yet you seem to think I should somehow play this game with you.....no thank you.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
I will get back to you later.
This explains it well too.

Quote:
The same principles apply to artificially increasing the price of labor. Imagine that you own a burger stand. You hire a cook that makes you 10 burgers every hour for $8. He voluntarily accepts those terms. Then the government comes along and says that you must now pay him $10 an hour. But wait, has the government promised you more burgers per hour? What if your cook physically cannot produce more than 10 burgers per hour? You get no additional burgers per hour, but now those 10 burgers cost you $2 more. The economy is now poorer by the value of that $2 per hour. Why? Because now $8 only buys 48 minutes of cooking burgers. Or, in terms of burgers, $8 dollars only buys 8 burgers now instead of 10! A $2 dollar minimum wage increase may not seem like much, but to you as the owner of the burger stand, your labor costs have now gone up 20 percent for no additional output!

Old 02-26-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Why? I don't gain anything from explaining something to you when you have no interest in listening. It is very clear to me that I would be wasting my time doing so. You think minimum wage is non practical or whatever and you are going to stick to that opinion no matter what, so no practical factual reason I could give you is going to change your opinion. I know this, you know this, and yet you seem to think I should somehow play this game with you.....no thank you.
WTF is the point in stating any reasons at all if you are unwilling to debate or defend them? Again ,this why you fail. In any discourse it is accepted that you have to explain why you think the way you do...

Obviously we disagree but I dont think you come here to to just state your opinion, to which is all you've essentially done because you've yet to support it with any logic or reasoning, you've simply stated your opinion and passed it off as practical, as a critical thinker I do not accept that from someone attempting to debate or discussing something with me. I would think you are here to discuss your opinion and maybe refine it. All I would ask of you is, if you are going to discuss something be able to to say why you think a certain way, otherwise its a pointless exercise to engage.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
WTF is the point in stating any reasons at all if you are unwilling to debate or defend them? Again ,this why you fail. In any discourse it is accepted that you have to explain why you think the way you do...

Obviously we disagree but I dont think you come here to to just state your opinion, to which is all you've essentially done because you've yet to support it with any logic or reasoning, you've simply stated your opinion and passed it off as practical, as a critical thinker I do not accept that from someone attempting to debate or discussing something with. I would think you are here to discuss your opinion and maybe refine it. All I would ask of you is, if you are going to discuss something be able to to say why you think a certain way, otherwise its a pointless exercise to engage.
Because it was explained to you, then you ignored that explanation, so you tell me what the explanation for raising the minimum wage is. I am sure you think you know why that is because you disagree with it so strongly.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Because it was explained to you, then you ignored that explanation, so you tell me what the explanation for raising the minimum wage is. I am sure you think you know why that is because you disagree with it so strongly.

Dude, you've yet to explain why its practical to keep wages in line with inflation. I've read through this entire thread and its not here.

Quite simply, I cant disagree or agree with something that has not been articulated. The problem you are having is you automatically accept that keeping wages in line with inflation is a practical reason, yet you cant elaborate why. In other words you are unable to validate the practicality of your reasoning.

I do not know how else to explain this too you. Simply saying something is practical, does not make it practical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies