Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2015, 07:44 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,567,734 times

Advertisements

If I can get an illegal to do your job for 8 bucks an hour, I would fire you, and hire him or her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 07:53 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,254,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billydaman View Post
Yet you cant explain why your reason is practical.
I gave you a practical reason, you disagree with it, not much else I can do to convince you of something you don't want to be see why it is practically a good reason to raise the minimum wage.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:04 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,392,601 times
Quote:
Yet you cant explain why your reason is practical.
That person can't but this person did just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Lets see if I can give a simple enough practical reason for the minimum wage. Forgive me if I oversimplify.

The major driver of our economy is based on consumer spending. A higher minimum wage will result in faster spending, and a more active and successful and productive economy. The CEO of mcdonalds understands this and has asked for a larger minimum wage,as does whomever is running Walmart apparently. failing to track it to inflation will cause it to erode, and damage the economies spending. In point of fact we often are seeing data that says we need people on the lower end to have more money as the level of inequality we have now is negatively affecting our economy.

That help?

Old 02-26-2015, 08:11 PM

1,160 posts, read 715,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Lets see if I can give a simple enough practical reason for the minimum wage. Forgive me if I oversimplify.

The major driver of our economy is based on consumer spending. A higher minimum wage will result in faster spending, and a more active and successful and productive economy. The CEO of mcdonalds understands this and has asked for a larger minimum wage,as does whomever is running Walmart apparently. failing to track it to inflation will cause it to erode, and damage the economies spending. In point of fact we often are seeing data that says we need people on the lower end to have more money as the level of inequality we have now is negatively affecting our economy.

That help?
You've just argued from a fallacy, the broken window fallacy. The problem with your last part is, the people on the bottom end cant use money effectively for a multitude of reasons, normally that's why they are on the bottom and continue to stay, minimum wage does not fix this issue. You want to talk about education, skills enhancement, trade schools, I'm all ears.

Last edited by billydaman; 02-26-2015 at 08:19 PM..

Old 02-26-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I gave you a practical reason, you disagree with it, not much else I can do to convince you of something you don't want to be see why it is practically a good reason to raise the minimum wage.
Once again...try reading and comprehending this time, okay?

You've yet to explain why its practical. Simply stating its practical is meaningless.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:26 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,254,221 times
Quote:
Once again...try reading and comprehending this time, okay?

You've yet to explain why its practical. Simply stating its practical is meaningless.
Because it isn't worth my time to explain something that has been explained in a practical sense by me and others on here, yet you have chosen to ignore those practical reasons. Not our problem.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Because it isn't worth my time to explain something that has been explained in a practical sense by me and others on here, yet you have chosen to ignore those practical reasons. Not our problem.
Okay, I'll declare victory. You can not explain why your reasoning for raising the minimum wage is practical. I've yet to ignore the purported practical reasons you've or others have given, I've merely asked you to explain why they are practical to which no one in this thread has answered.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
You've just argued from a fallacy, the broken window fallacy. The problem with your last part is, the people on the bottom end cant use money effectively for a multitude of reasons, normally that's why they are on the bottom and continue to stay, minimum wage does not fix this issue. You want to talk about education, skills enhancement, trade schools, I'm all ears.
We have an over supply of oil, corn, iron ore, copper, etc. We have an over supply of workers and an under demand for goods. We have an over supply of production capacity and under demand globally.

We have too much debt and not enough income.

The Broken wind fallacy doesn't hold. Increasing wages increases demand. We have been trading a reduction in future consumption for an increase in present consumption for the past 3 1/2 decades.

http://www.bearishnews.com/wp-conten...l-debt-gdp.jpg

We are going to have a reduction in present consumption. How far can we kick that can down the road? That depends to a large extent on how far we increase wages. Both here and abroad.

Last edited by ContrarianEcon; 02-26-2015 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-26-2015, 08:34 PM

Wal-Mart is doing a unilateral economic stimulus package of $1 billion.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Okay, I'll declare victory. You can not explain why your reasoning for raising the minimum wage is practical. I've yet to ignore the purported practical reasons you've or others have given, I've merely asked you to explain why they are practical to which no one in this thread has answered.
Really.

Getting an increase in present consumption isn't practical?

Then I declare you the winner too. go play by yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies