Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2015, 03:18 PM

920 posts, read 633,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
As long as she's consistent and fair across the board. If a business owner doesn't want to serve homosexuals getting married, fine, then don't pick and choose which acts people participate in are subject to denying their business under a religious guise.

If you were paying attention (Shocking, you weren't), I was presenting a general response to Don. If a business owner wants to deny someone on religious basis, then just be consistent. Not a difficult concept to grasp.
It is also not a difficult concept to grasp that the right to freely exercise your religious beliefs does not come with a caveat that "you must be consistent."

And she was not "denying services under a religious 'guise'" She was denying services based on her right not to violate her religious beliefs that are universally held by all major world religions. She didn't make up something or interpret something to get out of making money, she's in business to make money, but money is not more valuable to her than her religious freedom and religious beliefs.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:18 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
The laws related to mixing fabrics or eating shellfish are not called out as sins by God, the words state specifically that such foods are an abomination and not to eat them. When discussing these laws, God explains, "For I am the Lord your God, and you shall sanctify yourselves and be holy, because I am holy..."

When discussing homosexuality and incest and bestiality, God distinguishes these acts as mortal sins and is clear that, "Ye therefore shall keep My statutes and Mine ordinances, and shall not do any of these abominations..." "For whosoever shall do any of these abominations, even the souls that do them shall be cut off from among their people."

So your argument about picking and choosing is wrong. There are commandments that are meant as Mitzvot or in honor of God. They are meant to be followed to sanctify the follower and honor God...not doing them is not a sin, it is disrespectful to God. If you commit the sins set out in Leviticus, God tells you that you will be punished.
Picking and choosing is exactly what occurs. The bible is a cherry picking festival of contradictions. But of course, you could always say "OUT OF CONTEXT!" or talk about all of the laws that weren't meant to be taken seriously. In the end, you are still cherry picking.

Anything distasteful, abhorrent, homicidal, genocidal, disgusting etc etc will be overlooked and have some convenient explanation as to why it's there.

But hey if it's all about hating on gays, it's good in your book!

Old 02-26-2015, 03:21 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,631,684 times
Quote:
The laws related to mixing fabrics or eating shellfish are not called out as sins by God, the words state specifically that such foods are an abomination and not to eat them. When discussing these laws, God explains, "For I am the Lord your God, and you shall sanctify yourselves and be holy, because I am holy..."

When discussing homosexuality and incest and bestiality, God distinguishes these acts as mortal sins and is clear that, "Ye therefore shall keep My statutes and Mine ordinances, and shall not do any of these abominations..." "For whosoever shall do any of these abominations, even the souls that do them shall be cut off from among their people."

So your argument about picking and choosing is wrong. There are commandments that are meant as Mitzvot or in honor of God. They are meant to be followed to sanctify the follower and honor God...not doing them is not a sin, it is disrespectful to God. If you commit the sins set out in Leviticus, God tells you that you will be punished.
And what does God say is the punishment for selling wedding flowers to homosexuals?

Old 02-26-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
And what does God say is the punishment for selling wedding flowers to homosexuals?
hahahaha

Old 02-26-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
you DO realize back in the day people DID marry their own, right? what happened? certainly a book didn't change that. social norms evolved and changed. hell greeks tended to show homosexuality and had their boys. today we look down on that, but those of us who are rational and critical thinkers who don't blindly follow a book written by man thousands of years ago understand this.

we used to marry off girls when they were 11-15. any girl older was seen as useless. basically their version of the crazy cat lady back then.

what irks me about folks like you is you flip flop between old testament and new. ironically the old testament would be considered more the Quran. Ha! a religion most of you Christians hate (and I find it ironic)
What bothers me about folks like you is you accuse me of "flip flopping between the Torah and the Bible" and proclaim the Torah "would be considered more the Quran," which you then claim is a "religion most of you Christians hate."

So you have already defined me as a Christian that hates Islam that flip flops.

Then you go on to argue that the Torah is invalid because "everybody's doing it, or did it...." Then you bring up the age girls married (not specifying any date range).

You do realize that homosexual practices in Greece were primarily of a pedophiliac nature, right? So your argument is that "if pedophilia was good enough for the Greeks, it's good enough for us!"?

You do realize that the lifespan of people during the time the Torah was revealed was like 20 years, don't you? So girls getting married when they were past puberty makes perfect sense.

But you keep on making your assumptions about anyone who disagrees with you, and keep on showing your prejudices and ignorance.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
What bothers me about folks like you is you accuse me of "flip flopping between the Torah and the Bible" and proclaim the Torah "would be considered more the Quran," which you then claim is a "religion most of you Christians hate."

So you have already defined me as a Christian that hates Islam that flip flops.

Then you go on to argue that the Torah is invalid because "everybody's doing it, or did it...." Then you bring up the age girls married (not specifying any date range).

You do realize that homosexual practices in Greece were primarily of a pedophiliac nature, right? So your argument is that "if pedophilia was good enough for the Greeks, it's good enough for us!"?

You do realize that the lifespan of people during the time the Torah was revealed was like 20 years, don't you? So girls getting married when they were past puberty makes perfect sense.

But you keep on making your assumptions about anyone who disagrees with you, and keep on showing your prejudices and ignorance.
Says the one who is for allowing discrimination

Old 02-26-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
That they have to spend an eternity talking an imperceptive, reactionary, named Petunia.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Says the one who is for allowing discrimination
That would be you. Supporting the discrimination of a person's faith over special privileges for homosexuals.

Old 02-26-2015, 03:37 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,407,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL84 View Post
You can refuse anyone for any reason in your own business.
Exactly!!! Why didn't this couple just go to another florist?? It's really not that hard

Old 02-26-2015, 03:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Quote:
Says you. The law says differently.
The laws vary by state and even within a jurisdiction. There has to be a specific law because gays are not a protected class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies