Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 06:28 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times

Advertisements

I want to add we have asked many times to have the server or manager bring out the box or container used for food so we can read the ingredients. Never been refused. But we do stick to major chains that have food allergens listed on line....and to foods we know he can eat (ones he has at home) like hamburger patty.....etc. Allergy parents should always double ask if needed. We have also brought in our own food for our son into some places if on a trip and again never been refused after we explain the situation.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:51 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I've seen a few stories about passengers with severe peanut allergies that necessitate the cabins scrubbed and peanuts banned from the flight. Total silliness. What if there's a peanut in between the seats or somebody opens a bag of pretzels that was exposed to peanuts? I just wouldn't put my kid in that situation.
I've been on that flight. They held up that flight for nearly an hour to scrub/vacuum it down and make it a snackless flight. People were told that they couldn't bring any food onto the plane. Had a trashcan and hand sanitizer at the gate.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:59 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Seriously irresponsible parents are at fault. Someone with what the parents know are severe, life threatening food allergies, and no one brings an epi-pen with them? Sorry, but your irresponsibility killed your kid.
In addition: Who would expect a restaurant to stop doing their normal routine to make 1 cheap meal?

Old 03-17-2015, 09:29 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,218,929 times
Seems like food allergies are much more commonplace than they were when I was growing up in the 1960's and '70's.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:05 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
Our son is 2.5 with a Peanut Allergy. We would never eat at a restaurant without his epi-pen. . .it sucks (we have forgotten it).

I'm just curious right now about the restaurants mistake. if the precautions were taken as agreed to with the family. . . it shouldn't be the restaurants fault. Could be something in the mix that came from dairy. . God could be his drink he ordered. .who knows. .

Sounds like the family made a bunch of mistake. The first stage of reaction they shouldn't of gone home. .they should of called 9/11. They should of administered a epi-pen in minutes. . .etc. . .its not the restaurants fault . . that they failed their son.

What i'm afraid of mostly is no restaurant giving me a straight answer. We were at Papa Murphys and the guy said "well anything could be contaminated from peanuts"

thank you Mr. dumbass. That doesn't help us decide what to order. .somehow I doubt your pizza was attacked by a peanut fairy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
BEMIDJI, Minn. – A Minnesota family has filed a lawsuit against a restaurant for what they call a ‘fatal mistake.’

“He could light up a room,” Cindy Johnson said.

Scott Johnson was known for his bright smile and adventurous attitude.

“One mistake can take someone’s life,” Teen dies from allergic reaction after eating at restaurant | KFOR.com

Old 03-17-2015, 10:08 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
In addition: Who would expect a restaurant to stop doing their normal routine to make 1 cheap meal?

The restaurant, according to the parents, agreed. They said "we will do as you ask"

A restaurant DOESN'T have to. But it doesn't hurt to ask. . .and the restaurant can decide for themselves.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-17-2015 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 03-17-2015, 12:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
If I had a kid with severe allergies, severe enough to kill him then I would not be going out to restaurants.
I wouldn't even buy processed food. I'd be cooking from scratch and teaching him how to cook from scratch in order to stay alive.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:52 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Another one to watch for those with celiac is that some restaurants add pancake batter to eggs. To make them more 'fluffy', apparently.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:01 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I've seen a few stories about passengers with severe peanut allergies that necessitate the cabins scrubbed and peanuts banned from the flight. Total silliness. What if there's a peanut in between the seats or somebody opens a bag of pretzels that was exposed to peanuts? I just wouldn't put my kid in that situation.

We flew on Southwest at Christmas time and upon boarding, told the flight attendant that our daughter had a nut allergy. Not only did they not serve peanuts to the passengers, but they also made an announcement on the PA that if anyone brought nuts, etc onboard, if they could refrain from eating them during the flight.
It was pretty awesome and as a parent of a child with nut allergies, incredibly appreciated.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:13 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,747 times
I would be surprised that any commercially prepared pancake would lack dairy products!
The standard American pancake is the so called butter milk pancake and restaurants use bulk prepared pancake batter that comes in multi gallon cans . I doubt Denny's, IHOP Stucky's or anyone else makes stuff like that from scratch anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies