Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 01:15 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,755,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
He "suffered a severe dairy allergy since birth"?

I smell a vaccine in this.
You don't develop a dairy allergy from vaccines.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:27 PM

19,814 posts, read 9,376,760 times
I think that it is cruel for people to verbally bash parents after their child has died.

Increase awareness, yes. Post about what they could have done to prevent it, yes. But to heap still more blame to the self-blame and guilt they must already be feeling is just (as I said) cruel, imo.

And to even imply, no matter how vaguely, that it might have been intentional because of possible monetary gain (whether from insurance or a lawsuit) is just . . . well, words just fail me.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
We flew on Southwest at Christmas time and upon boarding, told the flight attendant that our daughter had a nut allergy. Not only did they not serve peanuts to the passengers, but they also made an announcement on the PA that if anyone brought nuts, etc onboard, if they could refrain from eating them during the flight.
It was pretty awesome and as a parent of a child with nut allergies, incredibly appreciated.
And rather than make sure your daughter didn't eat nuts the entire planeload of people couldn't eat nuts?

You think that's "awesome" ?

Old 03-17-2015, 01:50 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
What a shame.

The kid had scares before.

What was he doing dining in a restaurant, any restaurant? If your allergy is that severe and life threatening, you don't relinquish control of your food.

What was this poor kid/ family doing dining out without his EpiPen and nebulizer?

Sounds to me like a personal injury lawyer convinced the family, "someone has to pay".
Though I feel for the family, I thought all of the above, especially in regards to the EpiPen. I would NEVER leave home without it if my kid had such severe allergies.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:04 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
That is just so incredibly sad.

I hope this is posted at every restaurant because I suspect that many people just don't take food allergies seriously enough.

I admit that I was someone who thought eating dairy-free, gluten-free, etc. were preferences, not necessities. I thought that the only food allergies that people could actually die from were nut allergies. Well I learned something today.

Thanks, John1960.
If someone has a severe allergy like that, why put yourself at risk to the assurances of low skilled minimum wage employees, who may or may not be aware of the seriousness of the requests made of them?

Old 03-17-2015, 02:06 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Though I feel for the family, I thought all of the above, especially in regards to the EpiPen. I would NEVER leave home without it if my kid had such severe allergies.
Anyone can be forgetful even once, like the mother said, all it takes is one mistake.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:14 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post

The restaurant, according to the parents, agreed. They said "we will do as you ask"

A restaurant DOESN'T have to. But it doesn't hurt to ask. . .and the restaurant can decide for themselves.
According to the parents anything can be said. The restaurant is already gluten free so that was already done. To make a restaurant milk/cheese free is not an easy process and they would have to inconvenience multiple people for at least a few hours. I'm guessing you didn't read the article that the parents stated "Small traces of dairy would be enough to send him to the emergency room". That is a complete kitchen shutdown.

Menu

According to the parents:
Quote:
...We didn’t have to wait for a table. They knew us by name,” Cindy said.
Doesn't match up with:

Quote:
... Cindy asked the server if the restaurant’s gluten-free pancakes were also dairy free.
Then the parents go on and state:
Quote:
...Because he forgot to bring his EpiPen and nebulizer with him,...
What parent does not automatically check before they leave the house that these items are on hand? Who leaves it up to teenager to act as an adult?

Maybe this Kosher link will explain to you what is involved to be milk free:
Koshering Your Kitchen - Kosher

Old 03-17-2015, 02:26 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
According to the parents anything can be said. The restaurant is already gluten free so that was already done. To make a restaurant milk/cheese free is not an easy process and they would have to inconvenience multiple people for at least a few hours. I'm guessing you didn't read the article that the parents stated "Small traces of dairy would be enough to send him to the emergency room". That is a complete kitchen shutdown.

Menu

Doesn't match up with:

What parent does not automatically check before they leave the house that these items are on hand? Who leaves it up to teenager to act as an adult?

Maybe this Kosher link will explain to you what is involved to be milk free:
Koshering Your Kitchen - Kosher

No kidding. I helped my parents kosher their kitchen when they moved into their current house. Lots of work. You also need tons of storage space since you pretty much need two of everything. It's a lot of work keeping a kitchen kosher, too.

Someone with a dairy allergy that severe (or his mother) should know how hard it is to eliminate traces of dairy from...well...anywhere. It's not as simple as cleaning the griddle and making a special pancake with special batter. If a trace is enough to send the kid to the hospital, then they should not have been eating out in the first place.

My food allergy is easier to manage through avoidance (shellfish) but I still mainly eat only at kosher or halal-certified restaurants, or ones with little to no shellfish on the menu. The last time I ended up in the hospital it was due to cross-contamination of my food.

I mostly keep kosher and since shellfish is not kosher, you think it'd be 100% avoidable. Only in my own kitchen or kosher/halal restaurants. Anywhere else is a calculated risk.

Obviously the parents have to shoulder most of the blame here. They chose to go out to eat. They chose to allow their son to order pancakes, a dish that is customarily made using milk. They are the ones who forgot to bring his nebulizer and epi-pen. The restaurant is also partially to blame for serving the non-dairy-free "dairy-free" pancake, but I'd put the burden at 60/40. Maybe even 70/30, parents/restaurant.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:28 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,875,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post

Menu

Doesn't match up with:

Badly calculated risk?

Or, relied sense of security?

Old 03-17-2015, 02:33 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,632,022 times
If my child had ANY food allergies I would never take them to any restaurant. The control then is in their hands. Who needs that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies