Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 02:36 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,042,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And rather than make sure your daughter didn't eat nuts the entire planeload of people couldn't eat nuts?

You think that's "awesome" ?

Yeh, because it's not going to hurt a few people if they go without nuts for a couple of hours but on the other hand, if on the off chance my daughter came in contact with nuts, it could very well hurt her.

Trust me, we're vigilant about what she eats, but if I have to inconvenience someone for a few minutes to insure my daughters safety, then that's what I'm going to do.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Yeh, because it's not going to hurt a few people if they go without nuts for a couple of hours but on the other hand, if on the off chance my daughter came in contact with nuts, it could very well hurt her.

Trust me, we're vigilant about what she eats, but if I have to inconvenience someone for a few minutes to insure my daughters safety, then that's what I'm going to do.
But it was a plane load of people for a couple of hours .....

Old 03-17-2015, 04:16 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,421,542 times
Quote:
We flew on Southwest at Christmas time and upon boarding, told the flight attendant that our daughter had a nut allergy. Not only did they not serve peanuts to the passengers, but they also made an announcement on the PA that if anyone brought nuts, etc onboard, if they could refrain from eating them during the flight.
It was pretty awesome and as a parent of a child with nut allergies, incredibly appreciated.

That's nice they could do that. But they can't control everyone and they shouldn't be responsible in the event of a tragedy.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:

What if a peanut got stuck between the seat? Is the airline to blame?

And maybe I'm allergic to soda. Where do we draw the line?

Old 03-17-2015, 04:24 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,873,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
What if a peanut got stuck between the seat? Is the airline to blame?

And maybe I'm allergic to soda. Where do we draw the line?
Lowest common denominator, man.

It's only fair.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:28 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times
Quote:
That's nice they could do that. But they can't control everyone and they shouldn't be responsible in the event of a tragedy.
The airlines didn't do it because it was nice, they did it due to ADA regulations. lenniel was inconsiderate of others by not calling ahead to advise the airline of the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel
We flew on Southwest at Christmas time and upon boarding, told the flight attendant that our daughter had a nut allergy. Not only did they not serve peanuts to the passengers, but they also made an announcement on the PA that if anyone brought nuts, etc onboard, if they could refrain from eating them during the flight. It was pretty awesome and as a parent of a child with nut allergies, incredibly appreciated.

As I've stated earlier, I was a passenger of one those type of flights. For this type of inconvenience when a person does not call in advance we (the other passengers) end up with vouchers. In my case I missed my connection flight in another city and there was no further flights to my city or to a city within driving distance (for the airline to drive me to the airport where my car was sitting) of this airport. There were over a dozen of us put up overnight in a crappy hotel until the next day.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
The airlines didn't do it because it was nice, they did it due to ADA regulations. lenniel was inconsiderate of others by not calling ahead to advise the airline of the situation.

As I've stated earlier, I was a passenger of one those type of flights. For this type of inconvenience when a person does not call in advance we (the other passengers) end up with vouchers. In my case I missed my connection flight in another city and there was no further flights to my city or to a city within driving distance (for the airline to drive me to the airport where my car was sitting) of this airport. There were over a dozen of us put up overnight in a crappy hotel until the next day.

They have to make a reasonable attempt. But their website has some pretty big disclaimers.

https://www.southwest.com/html/custo...ities-pol.html

I think it's just stupid for anyone to think they can avoid peanut dust on an airline with any degree of certainty. If the allergy is that severe, drive.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:54 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,228,838 times
It's a tragedy when this sort of thing happens. It's a cruel twist in life to have allergies like this, it almost makes living incompatible with the world. When it's this bad you basically accept it's going to be what kills you someday if your body doesn't change.

Suing isn't going to make anything different either.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:59 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,502,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
What a shame.

The kid had scares before.

What was he doing dining in a restaurant, any restaurant? If your allergy is that severe and life threatening, you don't relinquish control of your food.

What was this poor kid/ family doing dining out without his EpiPen and nebulizer?

Sounds to me like a personal injury lawyer convinced the family, "someone has to pay".
It's not making sense to me. If one has THAT much of an allergy, wouldn't it be too dangerous to eat out anywhere? The entire cooking area would be contaminated.

Old 03-18-2015, 03:12 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times
Quote:
They have to make a reasonable attempt. But their website has some pretty big disclaimers.

https://www.southwest.com/html/custo...ities-pol.html

Correct. They and all other airlines request a 24 hour notice of such situations and not a few minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies