Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 08:34 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
why do you care so much about what other people do.

theres plenty of things you take advantage of and i wouldnt spend all day whining about it.

i have access to a handicap parking spot. im not handicapped. i use it whenever i want. i dont care what anyone says.

tired of this bs about how the goodie too shoes never takes advantage of anything, because its bs.
I wasnt complaining about deed restrictions, I was simply posting they exist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 08:38 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,837,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I wasnt complaining about deed restrictions, I was simply posting they exist.
i got you confused. i thought you were the op.

it annoys me when people whine about other people when that same person is using advantages as well.

everybody uses advantages in there favor. those that won't admit it are not serious.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
i got you confused. i thought you were the op.

it annoys me when people whine about other people when that same person is using advantages as well.

everybody uses advantages in there favor. those that won't admit it are not serious.

But the OP has a point, and if you are honest, you would agree its true.

We cant in one breath run around claiming we need to provide luxury housing for the poor, give tax credits to encourage it happen etc, and then in the next, whine because rich people are getting richer.

The two contradict one another.

Who do people think are going to provide housing, if not the rich?

And if you are going to be a typical liberal and whine about income discrepancy, then programs like this must be looked at because they arent really helping anyone. Taxpayers have higher taxes, crime etc, in order to substain their lifestyles, rather than money better spent giving these people jobs.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:15 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,940,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Do you use that line when you sell houses too?

"Over there is a war monger. There is a kleptocracy doctor who should be working for free." and I'm sure that you point out to buyers or put on the listing you put up "Located close to Section 8 housing, just minutes away!"
Haha-what line? Honesty is always the best policy.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Haha-what line? Honesty is always the best policy.
If there was a convicted child pedophile living next door to a house, would you tell potential buyers?

Old 03-27-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
If there was a convicted child pedophile living next door to a house, would you tell potential buyers?
Um, Yes!-but that would be public knowledge anyway.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Um, yes-but that would be public knowledge anyway.
it would only be public knowledge if the buyer did their research.

What the Realtors Associations has stated, the burden of researching falls on prospective homeowners, unless disclosure is required by law in the individual state you work in, which is rare, and for the most part, this has been backed up by the courts.

They advise that you refer prospective buyers to do their research, without actually making such disclosure, which is why its being added to such disclosure information on all sales agreements.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:40 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,113,996 times
Quote:
Many are missing the larger point:

"The complexes listed below were built, acquired or renovated with public funds, and therefore are required to set aside a certain number of affordable units," the county web page says.

These "luxurious" "free market" condos were built with taxpayer money (the same as a public housing complex) in a city that leeches and leeches off the Federal Government and profits massively from NEEDLESS war, so you're DAMN right they should have to set aside affordable units for working Americans-and many Section 8 tenants work and actually pay a significant amount in rent.

Why is it that some people HATE when the poor receive anything from the Government, but never would dare say a word when the wealthiest in our society are spoonfed TRILLIONS and TRILLIONS?

Why aren't people complaining about the developers of these condos that chose to use PUBLIC MONEY, which required them to set aside units for Section 8? It makes no sense to complain about the poor people, THAT HAD NO SAY IN THE MATTER.
A wonderful argument for removing government from housing, bravo!

Old 03-27-2015, 10:00 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,316,121 times
[quote=residinghere2007;38979786

Your article is from 2000. Since that time, public housing locations (aka - the projects) have been demolished on a large scale due to it being proven that HCV (aka Section 8) reduces generational povery and deconcentrates poverty in major metropolitan areas especially. I work in this industry. I am well aware of the prior and continuous studies and trends for HCV. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, the projects have been torn down and the people who lived in them have been put into other neighborhoods, with the predictable deleterious effects on those neighborhoods. Exactly as it says in the article. Anyone who says that section 8 housing is a success doesn't live in a neighborhood that has a lot of section 8 tenants in it, I assure you of that.
The perfect example of this has been big in the news, actually. Section 8 is what brought Ferguson low. Do you think that middle-class suburbanites welcome former project dwellers into their neighborhoods with open arms? No, they head for the hills. And once enough middle class people flee you end up with.....Ferguson, MO.

Last edited by fat lou; 03-27-2015 at 10:31 AM..

Old 03-27-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
A wonderful argument for removing government from housing, bravo!
A little late for that now, don't you think?

Section 8 was intended to remove (partially) the Government from housing and allow the private sector to do it's thing.

Obviously many (and even some posters on here ) take advantage of that set-up, like so many other joint ventures between the public and private sector-from banking to prisons to war to healthcare.

But at least with Section 8 it is individual Americans profiting and not megacorporations that threaten the sovereignty of our nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies