Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 12:46 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Luxurious implies exclusivity or something not typically attained by the masses-that is obviously not the case. The title of the article is "Government Pays to House Poor in Luxury", which completely ignores the fact that the condo developer FIRST used public money which required him to set aside subsidized units.

It's not what is said, it's what is not said. People that deride poor people as leeches on our system are oblivious to the fact that there are much fatter and wealthier leeches that do far more harm than anyone without money could ever dream of.

To some right-wingers the condo developer is a heroic job creator whose wealth trickles down, while his tenants are leeches and horrible people.
aying its not typically attained by the masses would still be correct since we dont have "masses" living in section 8 housing.

The fact that he used public money, may or may not be relevant to the discussion because I think the argument being made by the OP is that it shouldnt take place. I dont think his argument is limited to just Section 8, its the whole gaming of the system, using section 8 as an example.

Here we have developers gaming the system as well. I'm sure the OP probably disagrees with that as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 12:50 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Luxurious implies exclusivity or something not typically attained by the masses-that is obviously not the case.
how is it not the case? they even call themselves 'luxury apartments.'

are you saying the majority of Americans - the masses - live in comparable housing?

Quote:
The title of the article is "Government Pays to House Poor in Luxury", which completely ignores the fact that the condo developer FIRST used public money which required him to set aside subsidized units. No condo developer-nothing to complain about.
the article clearly mentioned that public money was used. you even cited it yourself.

Quote:
It's not what is said, it's what is not said. People that deride poor people as leeches on our system are oblivious to the fact that there are much fatter and wealthier leeches that do far more harm than anyone without money could ever dream of.

To some right-wingers the condo developer is a heroic job creator whose wealth trickles down and brings puppies back to life, while his tenants are leeches and horrible people that maybe would change their ways if we reduce and cut what little they do have.
so no one complained about poor people after all, despite what you said earlier. agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The fact that he used public money, may or may not be relevant to the discussion because I think the argument being made by the OP is that it shouldnt take place. I dont think his argument is limited to just Section 8, its the whole gaming of the system, using section 8 as an example.

Here we have developers gaming the system as well. I'm sure the OP probably disagrees with that as well.
you are correct sir.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:51 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post

and how do they have 'no say in the matter'? is someone forcing them to live in these luxury apartments?
The developer is legally required to have a certain number of Section 8 tenants. So nobody is forcing people individually, but theoretically Section 8 tenants are being forced to live there via Government policy and this condo developer, that chose to receive public money knowing the legal requirements.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:04 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
aying its not typically attained by the masses would still be correct since we dont have "masses" living in section 8 housing.

Well it's nice to see you admit that rich people are often leeches on the system.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
The developer is legally required to have a certain number of Section 8 tenants. So nobody is forcing people individually, but theoretically Section 8 tenants are being forced to live there via Government policy and this condo developer, that chose to receive public money knowing the legal requirements.
Of course they are legally required to, in the end of their financing arrangement, the developers will end up with a building paid for, by the taxpayers, worth millions.

Example of Democrats whining about trickle down, while supporting policies which result in it?

Old 03-25-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Well it's nice to see you admit that rich people are often leeches on the system.
never claimed they cant be. I object to programs like this for this very reason. I've used the programs, I've seen the gaming going on first hand.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:16 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,335 times
Quote:
Of course they are legally required to, in the end of their financing arrangement, the developers will end up with a building paid for, by the taxpayers, worth millions.

Example of Democrats whining about trickle down, while supporting policies which result in it?
Meh... The whole tax credits to pay for affordable housing was a policy implemented by the Reagan administration. The alternative is to have government agencies build and maintain a lot of the housing stock. To tell you the truth housing is one thing the private sector does better than the government. Using incentives like tax credits to create affordable housing is much more cost effective than the government directly owning the units. The only problem is that the program doesn't create enough housing in most markets, and constant cutting of corporate tax rates has diminished the need for a lot of potential investors to buy them - CRA compliant banks swimming in money these days being the exception.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:22 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
take a look at these digs and see if you think anyone is going to be in a hurry to do (the above bolded).

Government pays to house poor in luxury apartments with pools, wine cellars | WashingtonExaminer.com

is this really what Section 8 was designed for?
Idiocy but that's the Left for you. What these type of programs do is actually make the situation worse. The people lucky enough to get an apartment will most likely never move or will do so for a long time. So you won't be helping many poor people at all. However you can't tell liberals anything since they know everything.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:31 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
sorry, I don't see how they are 'theoretically forced to live there.'

nothing whatsoever 'forces' them to live in these apartments.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:45 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Idiocy but that's the Left for you. What these type of programs do is actually make the situation worse. The people lucky enough to get an apartment will most likely never move or will do so for a long time. So you won't be helping many poor people at all. However you can't tell liberals anything since they know everything.
Yup! Leaders in Montgomery County are concerned about growing poverty (but didn't mainstream media say it was going down?!) in Silver Spring and Wheaton. Ironic that they're concerned since the leaders themselves advocate rezoning middle-income areas for public housing. But what do I know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies