Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 01:57 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Meh... The whole tax credits to pay for affordable housing was a policy implemented by the Reagan administration. The alternative is to have government agencies build and maintain a lot of the housing stock. To tell you the truth housing is one thing the private sector does better than the government. Using incentives like tax credits to create affordable housing is much more cost effective than the government directly owning the units. The only problem is that the program doesn't create enough housing in most markets, and constant cutting of corporate tax rates has diminished the need for a lot of potential investors to buy them - CRA compliant banks swimming in money these days being the exception.
But that concludes there are only 2 options, I prefer we give incentives to businesses to expand into these regions to provide jobs. Its through jobs we get long term prosperity and economic growth, not through welfare handouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 02:33 PM

19,840 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
No you showed me an article by a conservative rag. I'm pretty sure it's a load of bs.
Go back to sleep.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:45 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,898 times
This ticks me off, I work my butt off I get absolutely no government aid and I can't afford to live without roommates (unless I wanna live in the slums).

Old 03-25-2015, 02:50 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,591,694 times
this is where the bastard children of Washington politicians, agency hierarchs and military
contractors will live. the mothers don't claim them as their children in exchange for a cushy
place to live. it's essentially a hush setup.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:25 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Go back to sleep.
Perhaps she doesn't want to believe that someone out there might be getting a better deal with their section 8 than she's getting with hers; that would be unfair, and how could her beloved housing authority do something unfair.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:31 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
Yup! Leaders in Montgomery County are concerned about growing poverty (but didn't mainstream media say it was going down?!) in Silver Spring and Wheaton. Ironic that they're concerned since the leaders themselves advocate rezoning middle-income areas for public housing. But what do I know?
There's no such thing as zoning for public housing. There's zoning to allow for multi-family, but it's illegal to exclude housing based upon income. And you'd be shocked at how much "public housing" probably exists in middle-income neighborhoods.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:34 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
There's no such thing as zoning for public housing. There's zoning to allow for multi-family, but it's illegal to exclude housing based upon income. And you'd be shocked at how much "public housing" probably exists in middle-income neighborhoods.
My neighborhood has restrictions that effectively do not allow public housing or section 8. There is a covenant which requires all homes to be single family and have a 3 car garage, and it would not be cost effective to subsidize the rental of a house with a 3 car garage.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:54 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Many are missing the larger point:

"The complexes listed below were built, acquired or renovated with public funds, and therefore are required to set aside a certain number of affordable units," the county web page says.

These "luxurious" "free market" condos were built with taxpayer money (the same as a public housing complex) in a city that leeches and leeches off the Federal Government and profits massively from NEEDLESS war, so you're DAMN right they should have to set aside affordable units for working Americans-and many Section 8 tenants work and actually pay a significant amount in rent.

Why is it that some people HATE when the poor receive anything from the Government, but never would dare say a word when the wealthiest in our society are spoonfed TRILLIONS and TRILLIONS?

Why aren't people complaining about the developers of these condos that chose to use PUBLIC MONEY, which required them to set aside units for Section 8? It makes no sense to complain about the poor people, THAT HAD NO SAY IN THE MATTER.
Is there a lot of section 8 housing in your neighborhood? I've lived in a neighborhood that had a lot of section 8 tenants. It SUCKED. And that's why I complain.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:32 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Developers get tax breaks to provide a percentage of low income units. Residents of these units do not necessarily enjoy all the amenities (pool etc...) which may require an additional fee. In NYC these mixed developments are built with "poor doors" to separate the 2 classes of tenants.
I worked weekends in property management in the early 80's. This is nothing new.

Developers of rental properties routinely "set back" a small number of units as " affordable housing" for low income renters and, as you say, did so, in exchange for tax breaks. The units were typically small studios and 1 Brs, in the least desirable locations within the building. This is common stuff, throughout the US.

In my limited experience the units were typically occupied by seniors.

As it relates to this particular development in Arlington, VA, most of the units are studios and one bedrooms, more appropriate to a single disabled, veteran or otherwise or a low income senior than a mom with children.

Old 03-26-2015, 01:48 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
But that concludes there are only 2 options, I prefer we give incentives to businesses to expand into these regions to provide jobs. Its through jobs we get long term prosperity and economic growth, not through welfare handouts.
I think we call this "Walmart"

( I could not resist)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies