Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2015, 11:06 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I do. I have a problem with people of any religion telling me what I can do with MY CAKE.
Imagine how people feel when others tell them what they can do with their business.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:07 AM

31,033 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Here is a very interesting article,

M&S faces boycott as it lets Muslim staff refuse to sell alcohol or pork

Furious M&S customers threatened to boycott the store last night for allowing Muslim checkout staff to refuse to serve customers who want to pay for alcohol or pork.

Read more: Marks & Spencer tells Muslim staff they CAN refuse to serve customers buying alcohol or pork | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Obviously, there are the Checks and Balances in This 'Free-Market' Economy. Personally, I have no ideas why you want to give your business to those who view you as second class citizen.
"Furious M&S customers threatened to boycott the store last night for allowing Muslim checkout staff to refuse to serve customers who want to pay for alcohol or pork."

That’s a tough one. I guess if your in a predominately Muslim neighborhood you may want to adapt your practices to your clientele there. On the other hand if you are an extremely Religious Muslim you may not want to move to a country that has laws that run contrary to your belief system

Old 04-03-2015, 11:14 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
As you know very well, because you have been informed repeatedly in this and the other closely related threads, this is not about discrimination based on sexual orientation. This is proven when the merchant is willing to sell these people other goods and services, as they all apparently are.

Rather, this is a religious merchant expressing their constitutional right to free exercise of religion by refusing to associate themselves with a ceremony that they find religiously objectionable. You know this, yet you continue to "pretend" as if you do not. Hmmmm.
So they weren't discriminating except in this one case?

If you sell widgets, you can not refuse to sell widgets to some but not others based on your religious beliefs.
That is still discrimination.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:17 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
"Furious M&S customers threatened to boycott the store last night for allowing Muslim checkout staff to refuse to serve customers who want to pay for alcohol or pork."

That’s a tough one. I guess if your in a predominately Muslim neighborhood you may want to adapt your practices to your clientele there. On the other hand if you are an extremely Religious Muslim you may not want to move to a country that has laws that run contrary to your belief system
If you, as a Muslim, accept the job and part of the job is to checkout stuff, then you check out ALL stuff for ALL customers. Or you are free to quit and find another job with different duties and requirements.

If we expect a Christian baker to make a wedding cake regardless of the sexual orientation of the customer because he opened a PUBLIC bakery, we should expect the same of Muslims when they accept positions in a PUBLIC market.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:18 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,313,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
I do read my Bible and it says explicitly that homosexual acts are a sin.
and yes Christ ate with sinners and he also instructed them and told them to go and sin no more.
I am not judging if someone goes to heaven or hell, only God can do that, but we are all called to be Christ like and point out to others their sins. If we can't do that, then we do not need a church either.
Passages in the Bible also say not to eat shellfish, get divorced, get tattoos, wear polyester or wear gold, but those ones seem to be ignored.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:30 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,992,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
As you know very well, because you have been informed repeatedly in this and the other closely related threads, this is not about discrimination based on sexual orientation. This is proven when the merchant is willing to sell these people other goods and services, as they all apparently are.

Rather, this is a religious merchant expressing their constitutional right to free exercise of religion by refusing to associate themselves with a ceremony that they find religiously objectionable. You know this, yet you continue to "pretend" as if you do not. Hmmmm.
Not a constitutional right.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:36 AM

22,184 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Pretty simple and straight forward. If it is a non-profit religious organization they can. If it is a for-profit business that happens to be owned by a Muslim, they can't.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:39 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I have an idea why don't you and Casper go to a Muslim bakery and ask for extra bacon to be put on your pizza. Then ask if they serve gay weddings???

Get back to us with those results, we got your back!

This is the kind of idiotic statement which shows you guys have literally no idea what the issue is.

If a Muslim baker does not offer any pork products in his store he is EQUALLY refusing to accommodate the pork eating public, out of his religious conviction, and that is OK. You can't demand someone serve you pork if they don't serve pork to anyone. If they selectively serve pork to some but not all, however, then it becomes a problem.

However, bakers of wedding cakes make a product that they hold out for sale to the general public: wedding cakes. If you offer something to one, you have to offer for all.

Get it? If a "Christian bakery" doesn't make ANY wedding cakes, then nobody -- gay or straight -- can FORCE them to bake a wedding cake. However, if the "religion" prevents cakes for gays, race-mixing, or whatever nonsense has traditionally been opposed on religious grounds in this country --- then it's a problem.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:40 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
how many gay muslims do you know? I don't think there are any.

Oh my god, you live under a rock or something? Google is your friend. Why don't you type in "gay Muslims" and see what you can find.

Ever stop to think that maybe it's simply that you are less likely to run into 5% of 1% of a population than 5% of 80% of the population?

Old 04-03-2015, 11:44 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
This is the kind of idiotic statement which shows you guys have literally no idea what the issue is.

If a Muslim baker does not offer any pork products in his store he is EQUALLY refusing to accommodate the pork eating public, out of his religious conviction, and that is OK. You can't demand someone serve you pork if they don't serve pork to anyone. If they selectively serve pork to some but not all, however, then it becomes a problem.

However, bakers of wedding cakes make a product that they hold out for sale to the general public: wedding cakes. If you offer something to one, you have to offer for all.

Get it? If a "Christian bakery" doesn't make ANY wedding cakes, then nobody -- gay or straight -- can FORCE them to bake a wedding cake. However, if the "religion" prevents cakes for gays, race-mixing, or whatever nonsense has traditionally been opposed on religious grounds in this country --- then it's a problem.
You do know they will never understand the simple lesson you have been attempting to teach them, don't ya, faaaaaar too deep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies