Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2015, 10:18 AM

428 posts, read 344,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Anyone know where this guy lives? The smart money says that his neighborhood isn't very diverse. Which is usually the case with these types.
Robert Putnam? I think he teaches at Harvard (googles)...ah, he is currently teaching in Denmark according to wikipedia.

I expect that the only way to get an honest sociology paper would be to find a source from a completely foreign culture. I wonder if there's a library of translated Chinese papers out there somewhere. It's not dissimilar to the value you get from foreign news sources (RT, BBC, Al Jazeera), who all have their own bias, but at least aren't the direct propaganda arms of the current national leadership.

A quote about that particular study:

"Putnam has been criticized for the lag between his initial study and his publication of his article. In 2006, Putnam was quoted in the Financial Times as saying he had delayed publishing the article until he could "develop proposals to compensate for the negative effects of diversity" "

Old 04-04-2015, 10:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
For me, diversity is valuable and part of what I look for in a place to live because I like to be exposed to people who are different than me. I believe it helps me learn and grow as a person. My fiance and I are planning a move now, and one of the things for us is to find a place we can raise our kids that will allow them to, at the very least, be exposed to people who different from them. Our hope is that that exposure will help them avoid developing an ignorance or intolerance toward cultures different from their own.

I've had this conversation with others, and was asked "If you teach your children to be accepting of others, why would it matter how diverse the city you live in is?" My response is that I will attempt to instill in my children a tolerance for others regardless of where we live, but teaching a child to be tolerant is different than having to experience it first-hand. It's like reading a travel book. I can read about Alaska all day long, but nothing replaces actually going there and seeing it in person.
Very grand ideas. But after several years of your kids in underperforming schools you'll end up opting to put them into private school. And that's just the reality of today. Go look at any city in the throws of gentrification and wanting to live with diversity. It all changes when the talk turns to the local school though.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:29 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,523,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSanDimas View Post
I would just like to live in a purely American (anglophone, steak and potatoes, football and apple pie and Stars and Stripes waving) city. If people want to live in a "diverse" place that is there prerogative, but I get the vibe that not liking diversity is something frowned upon here.
You are beginning with a false premise. You want something that is purely American. However, what you listed is not descriptive of "American" at all.

America, by it's origins and culture, is much more than steak & potatoes or football. Things that are "American' embody all of the multiple cultures that built the country. Authentic "American" culture include influences from Native Americans, African Americans, Mexican Americans (the California ground you're standing on was actually Mexico not so long ago ), etc.

Instead of "American," perhaps you need to use the word "white." Isn't that what you really mean? It's your prerogative to live around other white people. However, do not deny that other people and cultures make up America and are just as American as that apple pie you love so much.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:32 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,175,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Maude View Post

"Putnam has been criticized for the lag between his initial study and his publication of his article. In 2006, Putnam was quoted in the Financial Times as saying he had delayed publishing the article until he could "develop proposals to compensate for the negative effects of diversity" "
That's not unusual in the social sciences, which is overwhelmingly dominated by liberals. After the famed Minnesota Transracial Adoption Study was completed, the authors sat on the data for 4 years while they devised some ways to explain away the fact that the results did not confirm their hypothesis, which was that Black children adopted into affluent White homes would have the same IQ as their White peers.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You are beginning with a false premise. You want something that is purely American. However, what you listed is not descriptive of "American" at all.

America, by it's origins and culture, is much more than steak & potatoes or football. Things that are "American' embody all of the multiple cultures that built the country. Authentic "American" culture include influences from Native Americans, African Americans, Mexican Americans (the California ground you're standing on was actually Mexico not so long ago ), etc.

Instead of "American," perhaps you need to use the word "white." Isn't that what you really mean? It's your prerogative to live around other white people. However, do not deny that other people and cultures make up America and are just as American as that apple pie you love so much.
Nope..American used to be assimilation. When you came here you learned our language and customs while integrating your own.

Now the various groups don't assimilate and keep their separate ways and language.

Old 04-04-2015, 10:55 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,241,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
If all the whites moved to Idaho the non-whites would be demanding access within a couple of years so trying to escape doesn't work. Imagine what would happen to this country if all the white folks packed up and left.
Good Lord. You act as if the world wasn't turning before white people showed up on this (and other) continent(s).

People all over the world were living perfectly normal lives before they ever ran into a white man. And although there are few corners of the world that haven't seen a white man by now, those places that haven't aren't full of people just waiting for YOU to show up and bless them with your presence.

Stop crying. Move to Idaho or pack up and leave the country. Trust me...no one will notice that you're gone.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:08 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,241,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Nope..American used to be assimilation. When you came here you learned our language and customs while integrating your own.

Now the various groups don't assimilate and keep their separate ways and language.
When were we about assimilation?

Old 04-04-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
When were we about assimilation?
Since almost forever. I grew up in NYC and that's about as diversified as it got.
When you wanted good Italian you went to Little Italy, good Chinese, you went to Chinatown.
But it was still NYC and about everyone spoke a common language..English.

Go to Washington Heights today and try to find someone that speaks English..good luck.

This current trend of multiculturalism is not good for the country IMHO.

The language barrier alone is causing lots of divide.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:24 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,175,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Good Lord. You act as if the world wasn't turning before white people showed up on this (and other) continent(s).

People all over the world were living perfectly normal lives before they ever ran into a white man. And although there are few corners of the world that haven't seen a white man by now, those places that haven't aren't full of people just waiting for YOU to show up and bless them with your presence.

Stop crying. Move to Idaho or pack up and leave the country. Trust me...no one will notice that you're gone.
That's an ironic sentiment, considering that you live around mostly White people.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:36 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,909,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
That's an ironic sentiment, considering that you live around mostly White people.
He reminds me of the Filipina wife of mine every time I tell her about how damn good us white boys are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies