Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 01:54 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,838,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
We have a population of over 300 million people. You are FAR more likely to die from slipping in your shower, then from ISIS.

Even worse....your fear mongering deflection didnt even involve ISIS
yea, fear mongering. nah, we've never been attack, that stuff just happens over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 01:59 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,864,526 times
ISIS and other terror organizations do not have rules of engagement or a chain of command that must answer to career politicians who have as much military experience as a Barbie doll. They wear no uniform so they are able to blend in with the population. Our PC movement has anyone afraid to profile, so there is little chance anyone will be able to accurately identify a potential threat.

I think the reason terror groups are to be feared is because they are what we aren't; barbaric and highly motivated. We're also so easily distracted by the outrage of the day that we would most likely miss any signs leading to an attack.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:02 PM

18,482 posts, read 7,145,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Why do 90% of people in the US think ISIS is a threat? They have 30,000 troops and they're on the other side of the world. Yet in some conservative pieces and in the comments section of almost every single article, people hint their fear of an impending Islamic invasion of the United States.

I’m Not Afraid of ISIS « Antiwar.com Blog

Why do Americans, who are usually skeptical of what their own government says, keep on falling for propaganda from abroad over and over? Some idiot from the hot terror group of the day says he's going to destroy the USA, and it MAKES HEADLINES here. Why are so many Americans terrorized by stone-age blowhards?
Because of the way our government chooses to deal with "stone-age blowhards" and because terrorists are not bound by any rules of engagement....they don't telegraph their attacks.

You may not be afraid of me in a fair fight because you're bigger than me.
But what if the rules of the fight only apply to you?
You can't fight dirty, can't use a weapon, can't hit below the belt, etc..... You'll have to tie one hand behind your back and oh yeah, you have to set an arbitrary time limit that you can fight so as not to anger your constituents.

But I am free to fight any way I want, as long as I want and with anything at my disposal to defeat you, I have an agenda and a desire to defeat you that is fueled by my culture and the passion of my religion and has been ingrained in me since birth. I care not for my own life and wish nothing more than to see you and your family suffer.

Who do you think is going to win?

One person who does not have fight by the rules can do a tremendous amount of damage and their numbers are growing every day.

Negotiating or trying to appease them is usless.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:11 PM

14,180 posts, read 5,739,710 times
Because the United States follows the rules of polite society, Geneva Convention, international law, etc when considering the use of its vast and nearly incomprehensible military. ISIS doesn't. Yes, it's that simple.

2 million people bound by the UCMJ, civilian law, protocol, duty, honor, etc are far less frightening than 30,000 sociopaths who don't give a damn and will light children on fire if they figure it makes for compelling theater.

Are they on the other side of the world? Sure...for now. Could we stop most of them if they tried to actually set foot on American soil? Sure...if we were so inclined. But all it takes is one homicidal nutbar who welcomes their own death like it's the winning lotto ticket, armed with some manner of bad juju, to make a whole lot of Americans dead.

Criminals and terrorists DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE LAW, only law abiding people do. That's why criminals and terrorists are scary. And fyi, there are these things called boats. They have been moving things from Africa, Europe and Asia to the United States for about 230+ years now. Pretty sure a crafty nutjob with some willpower could figure out how to get here. Not like we don't have a southern frontier that is essentially a 1500 mile long welcome mat, and it isn't like Mexico and the rest of the Central American 3rd World is running crack coastal defense squads on the lookout for illegal immigrants.

Is ISIS a current, direct, on the ground threat? Nope....not today anyway.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
And no amount of a Defense budget will change that.
It's not the size of the budget, it's how you use it.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:13 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,014,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Why do 90% of people in the US think ISIS is a threat? They have 30,000 troops and they're on the other side of the world. Yet in some conservative pieces and in the comments section of almost every single article, people hint their fear of an impending Islamic invasion of the United States.

I’m Not Afraid of ISIS « Antiwar.com Blog

Why do Americans, who are usually skeptical of what their own government says, keep on falling for propaganda from abroad over and over? Some idiot from the hot terror group of the day says he's going to destroy the USA, and it MAKES HEADLINES here. Why are so many Americans terrorized by stone-age blowhards?
Same reason why LWNJ are terrified of the Tea Party, I suppose.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:14 PM

15,585 posts, read 10,596,291 times
"fear of an impending Islamic invasion of the United States."

That's racist, they should have said radical Islamic invasion. Anywho, well duh, ISIS is a threat because they are killing people. I don't click on propaganda sources like that, but I think most people just expect more of the same. I'm not personally afraid, besides everyone around here is armed to the hilt anyway.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:41 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,043,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
It's not the size of the budget, it's how you use it.
Yes, I'd rather have a small compact one that has a sense of direction, than some
oversized one that is all over the place No satisfaction in that

Old 04-21-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Yes, I'd rather have a small compact one that has a sense of direction, than some
oversized one that is all over the place No satisfaction in that
....Yes, but no matter it's size, not allowing it to be used where and how it's most effective might feel good..... but it will produce nothing.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:30 PM

39,947 posts, read 26,672,163 times
Exactly how many Islamic extremists did it take to slaughter 3000 Americans in 2001?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies