Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2015, 08:37 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Thats a false narrative. President Obama had a super majority when he was elected and he did everything in his first term in a bi-partisan way. He did not wish to be the like President and Vice President before him, who famously had a "You're either with us, or against us" mindset in their so-called GWOT that also applied to their politics.
You are deluding yourself if you think this is true. Obama spent most of his political capital the first 2 years getting congress to hand him a Trillion dollar$, a number so large it's beyond comprehension, so he could then try numerous "experiments" with stimulating the economy and vastly expanding the welfare state. The rest of his political capital was spent protecting the bankers and wall streeters who caused and profited greatly from the economic collapse in the first place, from any prosecution.

Most of that stimulus money was squandered, wasted on political cronies, and outright failed to do anything for the economy except to pump up wall street numbers making a small subset of the economy very rich.

Obama turned out to be just like George Bush, even worse. The only difference is at least with Bush you knew what you were getting. With Obama, who lies and tells 1/2 truths as easily as breathing, you have no idea. He strands for nothing but himself.

A lot of people voted for Obama in 2008. Those who were truly thinking, did not do the same thing in 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2015, 08:42 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

Lets not forget Obama had everything he needed when he was elected - Dem control of Congress, a sizable election win, and lots of buzz over his charisma and style. He squandered his first two years on Obamacare - and didn't focus on what he should have - the economy. At minimum it was poorly calculated politically since voters kicked Dems out of the house. But more meaningfully he didn't reduce unemployment and do anything else that actually mattered.
Say what? He inherited the twisted, smoking, burning remnant of an American economy on the verge of collapse and saved this country from an economic Depression.

Notice I said "Depression", not "Recession".

As if the Bush/Cheney debacle they created in Iraq, their sending a million Americans into a war that could never be won, their creation of ISIS, their torturing of innocent human beings in black sites, their willful suspension of civil liberties in wars of their own making (where does history draw comparisons there…………….?) was bad enough, he also left President Obama an economy in flames.

He has also reduced unemployment, caused corporate America to be richer than ever (which should make all Republicans happy, but then they start talking about income inequality, which they suddenly, for the first time ever, seem concerned with….) and he also saved the American auto industry from bankruptcy, gotten affordable access to healthcare for millions of previously uninsured, stopped Bush's war of aggression in Iraq, and the list goes on, and on, and on…..

President Obama inherited a sh*t sandwich, courtesy of the Republican Party, and has gone to work doing damage control ever since.

And he has been a resounding success, and thinking Americans know it, too.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
You are deluding yourself if you think this is true. Obama spent most of his political capital the first 2 years getting congress to hand him a Trillion dollar$, a number so large it's beyond comprehension, so he could then try numerous "experiments" with stimulating the economy and vastly expanding the welfare state. The rest of his political capital was spent protecting the bankers and wall streeters who caused and profited greatly from the economic collapse in the first place, from any prosecution.
Oh, saving the country from an economic Depression created by Republican leadership is now seen as expanding the welfare state.

Why do I even bother…..

Old 04-25-2015, 08:52 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,055,630 times
Quote:
Why do I even bother…..
I wonder the same thing.

An Obamabot's false premise will only be valid to other members of the mindless O-cult.

And the race card no longer works on rational people... especially after the 2014 elections. Too many prominent non-white GOP reps now. Perhaps Obamabots are still sore from that and now doubling down.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:59 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,303,219 times
Quote:
Thats a false narrative. President Obama had a super majority when he was elected and he did everything in his first term in a bi-partisan way. He did not wish to be the like President and Vice President before him, who famously had a "You're either with us, or against us" mindset in their so-called GWOT that also applied to their politics.

People who support President Obama often remarked they wished he were more like Bush in one way, and that was in ignoring attempts at bringing the other party into the fold and just getting legislation thru with or without them. It's how politics has to be done these days, as the days of compromise and working amongst the parties (anyone remember Howard Baker and Tip O'Neil from the 80's, to name only a few) are seemingly over, thanks to Republicans. The cray-cray has taken over that party.

That's exactly the approach that this President should have taken when he had a super majority. But Democrats still try and act like adults, working with the petulant children (Republicans, of course) and Republicans have so divided this government, so polarized Congress, has had FOX and Rush so enraging the low information voters, and have worked so hard to eliminate compromise in government that one cannot help but think that their ultimate goal is in breaking down the Federal government altogether. And I believe that it is.

They want private corporations (their base, so to speak) running this country.

Thinking people know they cannot govern, thinking people know they shut down the government when they didn't get their way, and thinking people know that since the days of Reagan they have always demonized the Federal government. Just do the math and see where we are today, then draw the obvious conclusions.
This might be the funniest post of the whole thread.

The premise of your topic was that Republicans were obstructing Obama, but you admit he had a super majority. When Republicans from the House met with Obama he completely rejected all their ideas with the arrogant, "elections have consequences". He never cooperated with the Republicans. Even after 2010 where the Democrats lost the House Obama continued to stiff arm the Republicans ignoring his previous "elections have consequences" philosophy.

Never in my lifetime have I seen a president who so consistently and completely attacks the other party with zero attempts at conciliation or compromise. Obama forgets that he is the president of all the people, not just those who voted for him.

Geroge Bush's "you're either with us, or against us" was directed at the world on terrorism. The very first major piece of legislation that George Bush passed and signed was Ted Kennedy's pet project, "No Child Left Behind". Name one piece of major legislation where Obama worked with a Republican leader.

Obama's idea of compromise is "I have a phone and a pen". Even Slate called his sixth state of the union speech the most partisan of his presidency. This just after getting drubbed at the polls during the election. There was no conciliation or acknowledgement of the will of the people just more attacks as partisanship.

You might not have liked George Bush's policies, but show me where he was ever as rude, smug and arrogant as Obama is. Show me Bush's attack speeches on the Democrats.

As to shutting down the government, it was Harry Reid who would not go to conference to reconcile the two budgets, the House budget and the Senate budget. Reid wouldn't negotiate anything, it was take my budget and that is it. The continuing resolution that was finally put forward was all Reid.

Every other president has worked with Congress, including Bill Clinton. What history will see is a successful presidency from Clinton and a failed one from Obama and it won't be because Obama was half black, but because he wouldn't work with the people's representatives.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:06 AM

26,507 posts, read 15,088,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Uh oh....all the racist Hillary supporters are crawling back out of the woodwork trying to distract us from their actions. lol.

Oh wait, you guys don't remember 2008 and the racist Hillary supporters meme?

OMG, it's priceless. Get used to it, anyone supporting Hillary in 2016 is still racist and I will be posting the news articles, quotes etc. all along.
White Hillary supporters do tend to be racist.

Remember in 2008 when Obama was asked why he was losing the white Democrat Blue Collar vote to Hillary in states like Pennsylvania?

"And it's not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy toward people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations" -Obama on white Hillary blue collar Democrat voters.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
This might be the funniest post of the whole thread.

The premise of your topic was that Republicans were obstructing Obama, but you admit he had a super majority. When Republicans from the House met with Obama he completely rejected all their ideas with the arrogant, "elections have consequences". He never cooperated with the Republicans. Even after 2010 where the Democrats lost the House Obama continued to stiff arm the Republicans ignoring his previous "elections have consequences" philosophy.

Never in my lifetime have I seen a president who so consistently and completely attacks the other party with zero attempts at conciliation or compromise. Obama forgets that he is the president of all the people, not just those who voted for him.
I can only guess your partisanship has made you blind to reality. Or maybe you just don't get it.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-25-2015 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 04-25-2015, 09:12 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,135,705 times
Will America Look Back on Republican Obstructionism as the Last Vestiges of Racism?

Most likely...

Old 04-25-2015, 09:23 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,089,360 times
What a loaded title shrieking of liberal agenda

Racism and politics

You mean like Hillary ... what does it matter ... and Bill i did not have sex with that woman...profiting off the disaster of others in Haiti ... by hundreds of millions and never getting the aid to them? And then covering it up in their foundation? And hiring Chelsea and their bro and passing out candy projects that never get off the ground
Is that the kind of obstruction and racism against poor minorities devastated by disaster your talking about?

I never saw hilllary or bill or Penn or any movie star when I was in Haiti for several months until my chloroquine ran out and my skin was falling off.. I never saw any of them when we gave every piece of our equipment away ..even our underwear.. coming back to the US in only jumpsuits then getting hassled and body cavity searched by TSA... black by the way... searching all white rescue workers...

You mean that kind of obstructionism?

Old 04-25-2015, 09:24 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times
I don't know if they will view it as racism as much as they will view it silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies