Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2015, 05:54 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,396,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
someone who has bent over backwards to appease Republicans,?
who?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 05:55 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,720,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Which proves I was completley correct.

So if you wont vote for a black Republican, who the hell do you think you are to lecture us on not voting for them?

As I said /DONE
I won't vote for a white Republican either. I will always vote for the Democratic nominee. The OP asked about Republicans. I answered about Republicans. You may not like the answer but it is what it is. It's your party and you own the results all the way back to 1965.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:02 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,212,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
This is a serious question. In 50 years, when thinking Americans, political scientists and historians look back on the two terms of President Barack Obama, will they conclude that racism was the primary motivating factor in the continued obstructionism of a Republican House and Senate?
Two things, first, as H.L. Mencken said 80 years ago... "Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule — and both commonly succeed, and are right...The United States has never developed an aristocracy really disinterested or an intelligentsia really intelligent. Its history is simply a record of vacillations between two gangs of frauds."

Basically, the entire purpose of the two-party system is for the party who isn't in power, to spend their entire time badmouthing the party who is in power(and that is what happens regardless of who is president). To the extent that anything can get done in such a system, it has to be something that benefits both parties.

While most people blame the obstructionism on the Republicans. What people don't seem to realize is that Obama made a lot of promises during his campaign. Promises which were very far to the left on the political spectrum. And Obama believed he had such overwhelming American support, that he didn't feel the need to compromise with the Republicans. He would effectively come out and say that what he was doing was "mandated by the American people who overwhelmingly elected me and the other democrats". And then turned around and branded any attempt by the Republicans to prevent the passing of his legislation as "obstructionism", while then pointing his finger at the Republicans calling them racist.

The actual truth is this, if Obama and the Democrats hadn't pushed so hard, the Republicans wouldn't have pushed back so hard.

With that said, Obama eventually become a more "moderate" president after the Democrats crushing defeat in the 2010 mid-term elections. But the damage had already been done.

The same thing largely happened to Clinton when he was elected in 1992. He and Hilary Clinton tried to push through a healthcare reform back then as well, and then the Republicans went crazy and won a sweeping election in 1994. The difference then and now, is that Bill Clinton was far less openly hostile towards the Republicans than Obama has been. And Clinton and Gingrich could work together. Obama can't work with anyone. Not even his own party.

A party who refused to even admit to even voting for him in the last mid-terms. And a party whose political base"(IE the Michael Moore's and the other political elites) would have loved to have replaced him with Elizabeth Warren in the 2012 election.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:09 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,007,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I won't vote for a white Republican either. I will always vote for the Democratic nominee. The OP asked about Republicans. I answered about Republicans. You may not like the answer but it is what it is. It's your party and you own the results all the way back to 1965.
So you admit that you are a low information voter who votes like an automaton---straight D all the way. Never mind that the RINO running mirrors your beliefs a lot better than the bluedog democrat. To you I say---may you vote in lots of bluedog democrats!

BTW, your stating over and over again that all republicans are racist is getting very, very old. I bet that you are one of those people who think that republicans are all old white men.

I'm an independent who has supported candidates on both sides of the aisle. That said, I've been to events for republican candidates and can tell you that not everybody there is white. I've met legal immigrants from many different countries. At one event, we sat with a young lady from El Salvador. At another, we sat with a man from China---to give a couple of examples. We've seen men and women---both young and old plus people of color. And guess what? They were all made to feel welcome.

That said, I would vote for a bluedog democrat over a RINO anyday.

Now give it a rest. Over and over again you've proven yourself to be racist and sexist. No need to keep repeating yourself---we all get it.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
The actual truth is this, if Obama and the Democrats hadn't pushed so hard, the Republicans wouldn't have pushed back so hard.

A party who refused to even admit to even voting for him in the last mid-terms. And a party whose political base"(IE the Michael Moore's and the other political elites) would have loved to have replaced him with Elizabeth Warren in the 2012 election.
Not sure where you're getting your information. Republicans planned on the night of the 2008 election to oppose anything Obama said. They wouldn't let him so much as make a nomination. No bills passed. Congress did absolutely nothing and McConnell said that was the goal. To do nothing and blame Obama.

It won't be forgotten, I can assure you. I can see time where a Republican president begs for a fresh start. A new civility. Democrats will only need to remind themselves of how Republicans have treated Obama.

Democrats had no desire to replace Obama with Elizabeth Warren. Get a grip. Obama won 2012 handily, even with all the Republican "hair on fire" theatrics.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
So you admit that you are a low information voter who votes like an automaton---straight D all the way. Never mind that the RINO running mirrors your beliefs a lot better than the bluedog democrat. To you I say---may you vote in lots of bluedog democrats!

BTW, your stating over and over again that all republicans are racist is getting very, very old. I bet that you are one of those people who think that republicans are all old white men.

I'm an independent who has supported candidates on both sides of the aisle. That said, I've been to events for republican candidates and can tell you that not everybody there is white. I've met legal immigrants from many different countries. At one event, we sat with a young lady from El Salvador. At another, we sat with a man from China---to give a couple of examples. We've seen men and women---both young and old plus people of color. And guess what? They were all made to feel welcome.

That said, I would vote for a bluedog democrat over a RINO anyday.

Now give it a rest. Over and over again you've proven yourself to be racist and sexist. No need to keep repeating yourself---we all get it.
The OP asked a question. I answered the question. Did you see the topic title?

I find it funny that you seem impressed that a person was from China and another from El Salvador. Is that really a big deal to you? Do you have any idea how many people are here from China and from El Salvador? I'm in Seattle. Do you have any idea how many people here are Asian? You saw one? Wow.

You attend Republican events. You are a Republican. It's weird that you and a few others are trying to sound independent. Are you guys getting embarrassed about the Tea Party crazies now? They are yours. Teapublicans are all yours. You are the Tea Party. There's no way you can wash that off by pretending you're independent.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
The OP asked a question. I answered the question. Did you see the topic title?

I find it funny that you seem impressed that a person was from China and another from El Salvador. Is that really a big deal to you? Do you have any idea how many people are here from China and from El Salvador? I'm in Seattle. Do you have any idea how many people here are Asian? You saw one? Wow.

You attend Republican events. You are a Republican. It's weird that you and a few others are trying to sound independent. Are you guys getting embarrassed about the Tea Party crazies now? They are yours. Teapublicans are all yours. You are the Tea Party. There's no way you can wash that off by pretending you're independent.
I love how you try to twist things! You were the one who said that republicans were racist and sexist and would never vote for a black person for president. No. This is all on you. Stop trying to be deliberately obtuse, will you? You well know that I was pointing out what a liar you are by giving you real life examples.

I'm not a member of the RNC---and said so in so many words You also have reading comprehension problems, Don't you? So, it is not my party. Period. Just like I don't belong to the DNC---it's not my party either.

I've also attended democrat events in the past. Yet, I'm not a democrat. Newsflash---you are allowed to support a candidate on either side of the aisle without being a member of that particular party---got it?

Please just stop. You keep embarrassing yourself again and again. You should know when to quit.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:47 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,771,792 times
Quote:
Newsflash---you are allowed to support a candidate on either side of the aisle without being a member of that particular party---got it?
Or you can be like me and not support any candidate for the major parties. That poster thinks that if you don't slam one side you must be part of them. Partisan hackery and blindness such as that is one reason why I am independent. But the main reason is because none of the theater ever matters. No matter which side wins, things remain the same. Democracy exists to inhibit change.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
Or you can be like me and not support any candidate for the major parties. That poster thinks that if you don't slam one side you must be part of them. Partisan hackery and blindness such as that is one reason why I am independent. But the main reason is because none of the theater ever matters. No matter which side wins, things remain the same. Democracy exists to inhibit change.
^Great post! Thank you!

In '08 I couldn't stomach the thought of voting for either Obama or McCain so I voted third party even though I knew that the way things are in this country, third party presidential candidates don't stand a snowball's chance in hell.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:52 PM

Quote:
I love how you try to twist things! You were the one who said that republicans were racist and sexist and would never vote for a black person for president. No. This is all on you. Stop trying to be deliberately obtuse, will you? You well know that I was pointing out what a liar you are by giving you real life examples.

I'm not a member of the RNC---and said so in so many words You also have reading comprehension problems, Don't you? So, it is not my party. Period. Just like I don't belong to the DNC---it's not my party either.

I've also attended democrat events in the past. Yet, I'm not a democrat. Newsflash---you are allowed to support a candidate on either side of the aisle without being a member of that particular party---got it?

Please just stop. You keep embarrassing yourself again and again. You should know when to quit.
The name of the thread is asking if Republicans are racist. Go ahead and nominate a black candidate or a woman candidate for president. I'll just wait right here. Please feel free to dust me off occasionally.

You get excited about a man from China at a Republican event like he's a four leaf clover. It's sad but a perfect example of the disconnect Republicans have about themselves and how they are perceived by everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies