Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 11:20 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,041,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I hate the word Obstructionism, the president has no power in proposing legislation, Congress does not obstruct the President, the President is truly the Junior partner when it comes to Domestic policy. Congress has every right to notlisten to the President, people act as if the President is the boss of Congress and they must go along with what he/she wants.
And no it's not unprecedented Tyler, Lincoln, A. Johnson, and Truman has similar conflict with congress.
Leftists democrats are idiots, they'll believe whatever they're told to believe. They're convinced Obama is the King.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 11:35 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,140,801 times
Last Vestiges of Racism? I wish.

Though Rudy Guiliani's policing of NYC in my view is the most abhorant exhibition of racism since the Civil Rights movement, I'd hold that up instead.

I fear the Republican obstructionism of Obama will be continued on Hillary Clinton (assuming she wins). Maybe it won't be as bad but the Republican party is not legitimate anymore (since the 90s). They are ruled by FOX News and other sources of monied Right-wing falsehoods.

In fact Hillary could get worse than Obama because Republicans will be eager to prove they were not racist against Obama. They fool no one but themselves and their kids.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:36 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,003,060 times
Historians, at least the ones not blinded by Obama worship, will look back upon the belief that any strident opposition to a man and his policies must be motivated by racism if the man pushing the policies happens to be black as the last vestige of racism.

At least I hope it will be the last vestige of racism - one can imagine all sorts of nightmare scenarios of how the racializing of American politics in the Obama era will progress.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:48 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
I believe the answer to your question is yes. And I believe that Americans will look back at this as a shameful period in our history, much like we view slavery and the era of Jim Crow today. It probably was inevitable that the election of the first black man as president would bring so much racial hatred to the forefront, exacerbated by him not only winning in a landslide, but then definitively winning reelection, especially when their stated goal was to make him a one-term president.

But we have a president who has handled being the first to cross the barrier with grace and intelligence, and like Jackie Robinson, he will be remembered as a class act in spite of it.
jesus h. christ in a sidecar - republicans want EVERY democratic president to be a one-termer

why does it make some leftwingers feel all tingly inside to construe all opposition to Obama as 'racist!'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Historians, at least the ones not blinded by Obama worship, will look back upon the belief that any strident opposition to a man and his policies must be motivated by racism if the man pushing the policies happens to be black as the last vestige of racism.
amen.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:54 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times
If only we had a crystal ball to see what Obama's legacy will be. I think he will be regarded as one of the most destructive American presidents in history of the country. Others may think differently. We'll have to wait and see.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:01 PM

78,436 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
This is a serious question. In 50 years, when thinking Americans, political scientists and historians look back on the two terms of President Barack Obama, will they conclude that racism was the primary motivating factor in the continued obstructionism of a Republican House and Senate?

I understand that the GOP wants this President (and by extension, much of America) to fail, I get that. I also understand that the GOP represents the richest 1% of America, as well as corporations and their shareholders, both of which contain the wealthiest white Americans.

I am not asking about those who vote Republican, whether or not they are racist is immaterial, I am talking about the Republican membership of the 111th, 112th, 113th and 114th United States Congress.

Considering they have put forth little reason to be overwhelmingly obstructionist during the Presidency of the United States first African-American President, someone who has bent over backwards to appease Republicans, will history view the overwhelmingly white, older, male membership of the GOP as racist? Will President Obama breaking the color barrier, and the irrational level of opposition faced in doing so, be attributed to a Jim Crow level of disdain for this nations first black President?

Or will this opposition to President Obama be rationalized as something else in 2066?
Wait a second. Weren't you one of the racist Hillary supporters back in 2008?

I mean, that was a known fact...that whites supporting Hillary over Obama were racist...there were lots of news articles and threads about it.

So, is this thread out of guilt over your past racism of supporting Hillary? Or are you trying to throw up smoke as you support her again?

Racial tensions roil Democratic race - Ben Smith - POLITICO.com

Old 04-24-2015, 12:02 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Maude View Post
It could be. Perhaps this can be viewed as a cross-over point from a largely homogeneous Republic to a kind of metastasized Yugoslavia.

People generally will form up teams along obvious fault lines, and the central government will have to become more powerful over time to hold the center together. We've now entered an era of race-based spoils systems, and the Obama administration has merely made that obvious to everyone.

A better question is whether it will get better or worse over the next 50 years, I'm betting worse and orienting my own lifestyle with that notion in mind.
I hate to says this but; I agree more and more. I'm def "white" and; if possible, I'll live where it's mostly "white" by race because its just safer. The few Blacks who live in those areas def ain't hood rats either, they're decent people.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:11 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,839,004 times
If someone were to take the written records of this Presidency and write a history on it, I think it would be unremarkable aside from Obama being the first black President. I think once you take all of the accusations of race and the blind followers out of the equation there won't be near as much to write about. Take the haters and obstructers out of the way and it's business as usual in government.

Maybe I'm racist for thinking so.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:16 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
jesus h. christ in a sidecar - republicans want EVERY democratic president to be a one-termer
its pretty bad when they have to make the obvious, into something that its not.

they are an embarassment to the country..

Old 04-24-2015, 12:19 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
This is a serious question. In 50 years, when thinking Americans, political scientists and historians look back on the two terms of President Barack Obama, will they conclude that racism was the primary motivating factor in the continued obstructionism of a Republican House and Senate?

I understand that the GOP wants this President (and by extension, much of America) to fail, I get that. I also understand that the GOP represents the richest 1% of America, as well as corporations and their shareholders, both of which contain the wealthiest white Americans.

I am not asking about those who vote Republican, whether or not they are racist is immaterial, I am talking about the Republican membership of the 111th, 112th, 113th and 114th United States Congress.

Considering they have put forth little reason to be overwhelmingly obstructionist during the Presidency of the United States first African-American President, someone who has bent over backwards to appease Republicans, will history view the overwhelmingly white, older, male membership of the GOP as racist? Will President Obama breaking the color barrier, and the irrational level of opposition faced in doing so, be attributed to a Jim Crow level of disdain for this nations first black President?

Or will this opposition to President Obama be rationalized as something else in 2066?
My opposition stems from his policies. Race, color or whatever matters very little to me. Carter who was distinguished once as the worst president did two things fight IMO. Deregulation of the airlines and rail industries. I have yet to find what the current one has done right. He lurches from one train wreck to another.

So I believe history will judge on his accomplishments, whatever they may be and not something as stupid as race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies