Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 02:33 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
With all the failed peaceful measures in the past it's easy to sympathize with those who feel this kind of violent resistance is the only option. Whether it is the "right" way to handle this is besides the point, because this way is precisely the natural evolution of what has been occurring.

It will always be the end result if injustices are allowed to continue long enough. And indeed, this sort of violence has resulted in meaningful changes to laws in the past. If police want to avoid this stuff, they need to functionally change their institutions - including the inherent racism hard coded into it - and begin to treat those they serve with respect and EQUALLY. But they don't. And this anger and violence will always be the natural result when those in power ignore your pleas for help against horrific injustices. It's a story as old as time.
Why should the police treat violent, low life, criminal scum equally? Never have I seen such absolute silliness as is being posted on this thread in defense of these rioters just because they're black. It's not racism when there is cause and whether you want to admit it or not, black commit crimes way out of proportion to their percentage of the population, that's a fact. And one of the reasons is moron defend and even encourage their actions just because o0f their race. The underlying meme is that a large percentage of blacks is incapable of obeying the law or living by civilized norms and the rest of us should just put up with it a keep providing the money for the welfare checks so they don't get out of hand too often.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:34 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,960,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddingPops View Post
My friends are visiting from Asia, and when they saw coverage last night on TV of Baltimore, they said it looked like a third world country... not the USA. They noticed everyone on TV was black and asked how they could burn their own community and why their neighbors tolerate it. I said, you're not supposed to ask that question because that would be considered, "racist". They said the US is becoming a very strange country, and I couldn't argue that.
It would be like asking why white people riot and burn their communities when their sports teams do/don't win championships.

As least in Baltimore there's a reason.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:35 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Did we merge threads or something?
Something just happened, here.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:36 PM

109 posts, read 74,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
My stuff is insured at replacement value.
So you wouldn't mind posting your address on here so some people can go destroy everything you own? It wouldn't be a problem since it's all insured, right?

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyTwo View Post
The legalization and taxing of all drugs would be a great start. Ending egregious welfare programs that create a culture of reliance and entitlement would help too.
I would agree that entitlements need to be significantly reduced!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal Dew View Post
So you want legal crack,meth and heroine on the street? Weed is one thing but you said all drugs.

I'll offer my perspective. Meth and heroin is some nasty s***! There is no doubt about that! But the growing heroin epidemic started with doctors handing out prescription opiates like candy. Well, what happens when those opiates are abused, and the person can no longer obtain them? They turn to heroin, which is in essence a micro-brew. I still say we need to rethink our stance on the war on drugs when it comes to someone getting popped for possession. Meth is a harder one to justify (not that I'm justifing heroin legalization), because of the way it's made! One wrong batch, and you can blow up a good portion of the neighborhood! We had a guy in our development cooking meth! Honestly, I'm glad he got taken down! Living in a townhome a lot of neighbors were potentially in danger! Had the guy had a bedroom full of pot plants I doubt anyone would have made a fuss!

Speaking of pot... I'll stand by my belief that the federal ban needs to be repealed.... like yesterday.

1,587 posts, read 1,015,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayahuasca_mike View Post
He was not "mistakenly" shot, nor was is spinal cord severed. And this is with multiple officers "attempting" to arrest him. I would not have wanted this man murdered and luckily it didnt happen, but if you cant see how differently policing may be across racial lines then you're purposely hiding your head in the sand. You can attempt to justify by quoting black crime statistics but are cops murdering black men to protect black people from black men? Or is it simply deep rooted fear, this type of policing was even more prevalent in the past when black crime rates weren't even a remotely valid argument to police as such. Please explain this to me if possible.
What you just said doesn't happen everywhere and no one said it is not a issue but you made a blanket statements saying if someone black cracked an white officer in the face the only option would be death. That is just not true... This is why I pointed out to you example to disprove your blankets statements. And oh I don't hide my head in any sand as I lived in a neighbor that was 95% black where gunshots heard daily is normal and seen the police interaction daily. Like I said your blanket statement is wrong.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:37 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
Why should the police treat violent, low life, criminal scum equally?
Because legally they have to.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:38 PM

862 posts, read 519,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayahuasca_mike View Post
He was not "mistakenly" shot, nor was is spinal cord severed. And this is with multiple officers "attempting" to arrest him. I would not have wanted this man murdered and luckily it didnt happen, but if you cant see how differently policing may be across racial lines then you're purposely hiding your head in the sand. You can attempt to justify by quoting black crime statistics but are cops murdering black men to protect black people from black men? Or is it simply deep rooted fear, this type of policing was even more prevalent in the past when black crime rates weren't even a remotely valid argument to police as such. Please explain this to me if possible.
Answer to deep rooted fear is in bold.

Old 04-28-2015, 02:38 PM

1,006 posts, read 736,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Re: Highlighted portion: Wrong as wrong can be. The Republican party was founded on the abolition of slavery, and hundreds of thousands of white soldiers died or were grievously wounded to further that goal.
Again you are incorrect, while I don't doubt the valor of SOME men were rooted in seeing slavery as highly immoral the truth is freeing slaves was strategic. We see the same with Russia playing on the sentiments of "oppressed eastern Ukrainians". Its a tried and true method, endorse the oppressed and spark insurrection. In the case of the confederacy their entire economy was driven by slave labor, similar to Russian economy being driven by oil revenues..

Last edited by ayahuasca_mike; 04-28-2015 at 03:00 PM..

Old 04-28-2015, 02:39 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,015,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I'll offer my perspective. Meth and heroin is some nasty s***! There is no doubt about that! But the growing heroin epidemic started with doctors handing out prescription opiates like candy. Well, what happens when those opiates are abused, and the person can no longer obtain them? They turn to heroin, which is in essence a micro-brew. I still say we need to rethink our stance on the war on drugs when it comes to someone getting popped for possession. Meth is a harder one to justify (not that I'm justifing heroin legalization), because of the way it's made! One wrong batch, and you can blow up a good portion of the neighborhood! We had a guy in our development cooking meth! Honestly, I'm glad he got taken down! Living in a townhome a lot of neighbors were potentially in danger! Had the guy had a bedroom full of pot plants I doubt anyone would have made a fuss!

Speaking of pot... I'll stand by my belief that the federal ban needs to be repealed.... like yesterday.
I can get behind the legal weed thing with no issue but the harder stuff I just can't get behind. I seen that stuff and how it affect people. Yea I lived in an area that has a huge meth issue and it was scary with those people cooking meth sometimes next door
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies