Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 02:45 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,765,700 times

Advertisements

I think if you asked Bill, he would say he wishes he did more. I think that genocides often happen quickly, and only afterwards do folks understand how horrific they were. I do think he regretted it, and that is why he was much more aggressive in Bosnia. No president bats .1000.

I tend to agree with most here that it is not the USA's job to stop all carnage in the world. The major tools we have are money and might, and sometimes neither is enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 01:44 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,771,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
It was to be expected.

"Never again" applied to those in whom the U.S. has an interest. That was noble chatter...nothing more, nothing less.
That is a very keen insight. Thank you!

Old 05-14-2015, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Funny you don't seem to care about what Marco, Jeb, or Rafael would do, eh?
I do. I don't like the GOP either. Why do you seem to hate Hispanics and Spanish speakers?

Old 05-14-2015, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
We already had troops dying in Africa. Remember Somalia, where we tried to be the world police? Rwanda happened right at the same time when the Black Hawk went down, and we were pulling out of Somalia. The same year we put boots on the ground in former Yugoslavia and became the world police there. You think it's about Paula Jones? LOL
Black Hawk Down happened 7 months earlier. The Bosnian war didn't blow up until practically a year after Rwanda.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Africa is continent made up of over 50 nations. The entire continent is not and has never been simultaneously at war.

It's time to drop that paleolithic savage-like approach to cultures different from your own.

Grow up.
The only reason why Africa is now made up of over 50 nations is due to the direct influence of European colonialism.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeetrekker View Post
The USA should have a least supplied the Tutsi with Machetes so the fight would have been even....
Maybe they did. The Tutsi are now in charge of Rwanda and have been since the summer of 1994.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:27 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
Black Hawk Down happened 7 months earlier.
My point exactly. You think US was going to rush into another African conflict right after Somalia?

Quote:
The Bosnian war didn't blow up until practically a year after Rwanda.
The genocide started in April 1994. Guess when the NATO air campaign started? Yep, April 1994.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:46 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,179,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Currently, there are only 15 African nations at war. A relatively peaceful period, no doubt.

Africa Sun News - Africa Wars & Conflicts

Go ahead and approve of the genocide if that's your choice and your "cultural" preference.

My choice is to express disapproval of the mindless violence. Perpetual violence, it seems.

List of conflicts in Africa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe that's what the hordes of refugees leaving Africa are attempting to do at the risk of their own lives.

Risking death in the Mediterranean: the least bad option for so many migrants | World news | The Guardian

"Can't we all just get along?"

Thank you for confirming my point. The entire African continent is not and has not ever been simultaneously at war.

There are over 50 nations. 15 have conflict.

LOL@ approving genocide. Your decision was not to express disapproval regarding mindless violence.

Your decision was to make highly uninformed and inaccurate comments about an entire continent, of over 50 nations, over 1000 ethnic groups, speaking over 1500 languages.

Now you're bothered because the idiocy was corrected. Do better. There are more than enough resources available to you to be informed. No excuse for the laziness.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:49 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,803,640 times
We were not willing to see our young men and women coming home in body bags.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:52 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,179,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
The only reason why Africa is now made up of over 50 nations is due to the direct influence of European colonialism.
Perhaps, but it is what it is. Who knows how many nations would have existed without European colonialism by this point? The continent has over 1000 ethnicities. In a world of nation-states, it may have ended up with hundreds of nations by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies