Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 02:27 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,778,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
Think about the perfect confluence of our Founding Fathers at the time of English tryanny. Nothing like this has ever happened in recorded human history. Think about how great these men were----the beautiful ideas that still hold true, 240 years later. .
This is true. It's the greatest event in the history of the world. Hundreds of millions of people enjoy more freedom today because of what the founding fathers they did 240 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
How can what Andrew Jackson did to bring about U.S expansion be considered wonderful??

You should at least acknowledge how complicated and nuanced U.S history is.
As is all history. The US is no different.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:29 PM

30,538 posts, read 19,279,359 times
Yes I'm damn proud. We have some skeletons in our closet just like every other country but we have done more good to advance the world than any other country.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX City visiting View Post
Not at all; I dislike most of the Constitution, history of slavery and their treatment, the Protestant work ethic, birth of Republicans, our two-party political system, lack of labor laws, not using the metric system, and being behind other 1st world nation in many things.
Let us know when you find that perfect country with no issues in their history.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:36 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,847,370 times
I am a very proud American and proud of our history.

We are a nation of various types of people and have had many experiences in our young country's lifetime in regards to both good and bad deeds, but to me, our complication shows the essence of being human and I love the fact that even though we have our demons and dysfunction that we aren't devoid of determination, excellence and thoughtfulness.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:39 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,056,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX City visiting View Post
Not at all; I dislike most of the Constitution, history of slavery and their treatment, the Protestant work ethic, birth of Republicans, our two-party political system, lack of labor laws, not using the metric system, and being behind other 1st world nation in many things.
And when all hell breaks loose and whatever country you are from gets into trouble, gets invaded or gets attacked you love us because the US is the first to show up to help or kick the asses of whoever harmed you.

A simple Thanks would be nice every now and then.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:42 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,099,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Let us know when you find that perfect country with no issues in their history.
Better yet, let us know after you move there. We can all celebrate your move.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:58 PM

30,111 posts, read 18,720,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
How this country came about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuLfqEb_zgI

Yes I am

Liberals focus on the negative aspects of the greatest nation the earth has ever seen. There is NO NATION in the history of man without faults.

However, only those culled by PC leftist propaganda would presume the US to be an evil, lesser nation. A quick glance at the history of the world quickly reveals that the US has been the most free, benevolent nation in the history of civilization.

If I was as negative and pessimisstic as the average liberal, I would have blown my head off years ago.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:01 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,303,078 times
Funny thing about the American Revolution.
I wouldn't define what happened today as Tyranny. The US Government has done worse to its own citizens in the 20th century

the Americans in the 18th century thought of themselves as British and they had allies in the British government including Prime Minister William Pitt (who Pittsburgh takes its name). Problem was the British Crown spent a ton of money on the French and Indian War, much of it in British America, and wanted the colonists to pay taxes to help pay down the war debt.
(Que the Age of Enlightenment)
The Americans were fine with paying taxes, yet they wanted seats in Parliament. The people in each colony didn't just see Great Britain as England, Wales and Scotland...they also saw Virginia, North Carolina, Rhode Island, etc as essential parts of Great Britain and deserving of nothing less than the representation that the 'home' countries received.
In addition, many of the wealthiest in America wanted titles from the Crown. Yet some in the government in London did not see the Americans as their peers even if most were of British ethnicity. This was the spark....and the Age of Enlightenment fanned the flame.

Independence in 1763 was unthinkable. Even General Gage who was put in control of Boston in 1773/4 did not wish for the conflict to spiral out of control (he was raised in America, felt his home was in America) yet by 1776 it was a done deal.

Having said that, too many Americans rest of the laurels of this country. Past victories...we aren't the greatest country because we say we are. Each generation has to earn it, EARN.

Our roads are crumbling, over half of the country cannot bother to dress themselves to go to the store (see peopleofwalmart), our education system is in chaos as is the home. We don't raise our children to the standards of behavior that are worthy of America. Our cities look like hell in many cases (cities that gave birth to this nation).

Look in the mirror. Admit we have a problem and we need to fix it. And understand also that incivility toward each other is not going to fix it, its just another problem.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:21 PM

68,350 posts, read 54,502,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Yes I am

Liberals focus on the negative aspects of the greatest nation the earth has ever seen. There is NO NATION in the history of man without faults.
Conservatives don't seem to understand you don't improve unless you recognize your shortcomings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
If I was as negative and pessimisstic as the average liberal, I would have blown my head off years ago.
If liberals were as content to cruise along as fat, dumb, and happy as the average conservative we'd never get anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies