Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 01:46 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
To the people moving out, have moved or are thinking about it... you are abandoning your country, you have given up and are moving out... mostly due to selfish reasoning, some not so selfish. I don't care how bad you think it is here or how bad you think the current administration is or how destructive big business has become... YOU HAVE GIVEN UP! You don't have the drive or energy to do anything, you would rather hit the EASY button!

On the other hand... we could really do without all of your negativity... no I didn't say criticism... negativity is criticism with no action, which is RAMPANT on this forum. By letting all of you go it will be like boiling all the impurities out of a pot of water, what remains in the pot is all the good stuff... hopefully.

For those who wish to act upon the thought of moving out... thanks for being an American, best of luck in your future endeavors.

Nice speech there, now who died and left you king?

Folks are entitled to their sentiment, and the OP requested input as to what factors folks take into consideration in evaluating these types of decisions. I respect those who have responded, and would like to allow them to continue to do so.

If you don't mind...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 01:56 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,713,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Nice speech there, now who died and left you king?

Folks are entitled to their sentiment, and the OP requested input as to what factors folks take into consideration in evaluating these types of decisions. I respect those who have responded, and would like to allow them to continue to do so.

If you don't mind...
King? What are you talking about?

They absolutely are entitled to their own sentiment, just as I am to mine. I hope people take my outlook into consideration as they do others in this topic.

I do mind... people should hear my speech... oh excuse me, I mean DECREE, as equally as the others, you can't take that away from me.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:21 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
After 20 years of Bush / Clinton I thought I was already in another country?

Old 01-20-2008, 02:41 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,187,987 times
Quote:
I will never move out of the United States, I won't abandoned a country after it is given me everything I have ever wanted and needed. Instead of running away from problems (moving out of the country) I intend to stay here and and try and solve the problems surrounding me to the best of my ability. In the process I will try to encourage other people to do the same, because in the end that is the only thing that will turn the country around... thats common sense there.

To the people moving out, have moved or are thinking about it... you are abandoning your country, you have given up and are moving out... mostly due to selfish reasoning, some not so selfish. I don't care how bad you think it is here or how bad you think the current administration is or how destructive big business has become... YOU HAVE GIVEN UP! You don't have the drive or energy to do anything, you would rather hit the EASY button!

On the other hand... we could really do without all of your negativity... no I didn't say criticism... negativity is criticism with no action, which is RAMPANT on this forum. By letting all of you go it will be like boiling all the impurities out of a pot of water, what remains in the pot is all the good stuff... hopefully.

For those who wish to act upon the thought of moving out... thanks for being an American, best of luck in your future endeavors.
Do you feel this way about all the American companies that are off shored or abroad that are taking advantage of cheap foreign labor at the expense of the American worker in order to produce goods to sell to the very people they just shafted out of a job in the first place?

Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness can be taken in many ways. For some it may be exercising their rights and freedoms to live where they choose, for others it may be to fight an apathetic establishment bent on self perpetuation. In either case I applaud those who do either as it is better than sitting back and taking it on the chin time and time again.

Old 01-20-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Do you feel this way about all the American companies that are off shored or abroad that are taking advantage of cheap foreign labor at the expense of the American worker in order to produce goods to sell to the very people they just shafted out of a job in the first place?
ABSOLUTELY NOT! I hate this just as every good American should, we should be a self-sustaining country but with people getting the hell out of here is only worsening this situation. I make it a point to search out American made goods and purchase them over foreign made... but I digress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness can be taken in many ways. For some it may be exercising their rights and freedoms to live where they choose, for others it may be to fight an apathetic establishment bent on self perpetuation. In either case I applaud those who do either as it is better than sitting back and taking it on the chin time and time again.
What is happening right now... why people are moving away is because they have taken their freedom for granted. Freedom is not absolute, there are prices to pay. If people would get rid of this mentality that nothing should be curbed, this country would be much better off. People can move away if they want, but for those who truly value this country are those who will stay and fix it.

The same people who think the typical American has this terrible "do what I want" attitude are so blinded that they in fact are exercising this same attitude by saying "screw it, I'm out of here"... just as bad if not worse. Anyone with that attitude are just as selfish and ignorant as the people they criticize taking the freedom that America has given them and shoving it right back in her face... absolutely repulsive to me...

Old 01-20-2008, 03:16 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,916,948 times
many people leave the country because of a job relocation... its hardly something that is political.. many people also leave because of medical reasons... or equality issues... it doesn't have so much to do with politics.. it has more to do with their way of life...
I think its a bit over the top to assume someone is moving out of america because of a republican or because of a democrat... its deeper than that.. it has to do with living to a persons potential.. and striving for the best life for themselves... and if it cannot be found in america... then they go elsewhere.. its no different than someone living in one state and finding the same situations and moving to another state... america is not the only place on this planet... and choosing to not live here is like choosing one neighbourhood over another... its all about what you want... options... don't degrade people for exercising that choice... and don't assume its because of politics either, because the overwhelming reason has nothing to do with politics... and a lot to do with way of life...

Old 01-20-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
many people leave the country because of a job relocation... its hardly something that is political.. many people also leave because of medical reasons... or equality issues...
I already mentioned that it is completely reasonable for people to leave because of unselfish reasons. Equality issues? If you think thats only a problem in America then you are in for a surprise.

Quote:
I think its a bit over the top to assume someone is moving out of america because of a republican or because of a democrat... its deeper than that.. it has to do with living to a persons potential.. and striving for the best life for themselves...and if it cannot be found in america... then they go elsewhere.
Ok, then these are the people that should leave because they care more about themselves than their country. Thats fine, but people should start doing this instead sitting in their armchair shaking their cane at everything they hate about living here.

Quote:
its no different than someone living in one state and finding the same situations and moving to another state...
Only those people are not willing to give up their country. What issues other than the two mentioned at the beginning of this post would really force you to leave here? Even health-care is something that can be mended.

Quote:
america is not the only place on this planet... and choosing to not live here is like choosing one neighbourhood over another... its all about what you want... options... don't degrade people for exercising that choice... and don't assume its because of politics either, because the overwhelming reason has nothing to do with politics... and a lot to do with way of life...
It's the people with the I give up attitude, according to you we don't have everything that people need (I disagree) but if this is the case... why is it so? Its because everyone is to laid back to change anything, its the people who rule... "no way JTraik the government controls us!" ... YOU created that monster now YOU have to tame it. Or you can take the easy way out and leave.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:59 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
JTraik, I suppose you are youngish.

There are those of us in the over 50 year old range who fought all of our lives for equality, women's rights, all civil rights. Please don't discount the effort we've exerted over the decades. If it weren't for us, you never would have had weekends off, the vanishing 40 hour work week, safety regulations, the women's right to vote, the right of people of color to sit at a lunch counter or at the front of the bus. I suppose you think our efforts over the years were, as you put it, easy.

If I choose to retire outside of the US, that is my right, and you don't know enough about people or their reasons for moving to vilify them. You think we don't pay US taxes if we live abroad? We do.

I'm moving to Asia for 9 months a year once I retire in 7 years. I prefer the culture in my country of choice; it's buddhist in philosophy. The country doesn't care what religion you practice, it is all open, but not a big deal. It has more freedoms than I find in the US; medical costs are cheaper; the climate suits me better; and I speak the language. I also study something there that I can't in other places.

Please don't judge me or my motives.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:07 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,916,948 times
Quote:
I already mentioned that it is completely reasonable for people to leave because of unselfish reasons. Equality issues? If you think thats only a problem in America then you are in for a surprise.
people make all personal decisions based on selfish premis... its what you want in your life... you don't know what circumstances are making people choose to relocate... and to assume is being a bit unfair.. you're right.. america isn't the only place that faces equality issues... its a matter of living where u feel a good quality of life.. someone who is not gay would not have a problem in this country.. but I know of others who are gay that have chosen to relocate.. not to make a political statement.. but so they can attain something greater than what america offers... a move is never final...

[quote=Ok, then these are the people that should leave because they care more about themselves than their country. Thats fine, but people should start doing this instead sitting in their armchair shaking their cane at everything they hate about living here.[QUOTE]

nobody should leave... saying that is absurd... moving out of the US has nothing to do with disliking their country...

[quote=Only those people are not willing to give up their country. What issues other than the two mentioned at the beginning of this post would really force you to leave here? Even health-care is something that can be mended.[/QUOTE]

many people face health reasons that aren't able to weather a battle.. its urgent for many.... and life and death is more important than fighting for america's namesake.... life is more than america...

[quote=It's the people with the I give up attitude, according to you we don't have everything that people need (I disagree) but if this is the case... why is it so? Its because everyone is to laid back to change anything, its the people who rule... "no way JTraik the government controls us!" ... YOU created that monster now YOU have to tame it. Or you can take the easy way out and leave.[/QUOTE]

perhaps then you have found the place that accomodates you.. you don't see any cases of such.. because you haven't put yourself in another's shoes.. its hard for people to do... I don't say I understand every circumstance... I'm just saying.. don't assume... there's so many factors in a person's life.. its along the same lines of where you choose to live within the US.. there's a reason why you live where u live.. vs. another place in the US... so too is another place on the planet...

Old 01-20-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
JTraik, I suppose you are youngish.

There are those of us in the over 50 year old range who fought all of our lives for equality, women's rights, all civil rights. Please don't discount the effort we've exerted over the decades. If it weren't for us, you never would have had weekends off, the vanishing 40 hour work week, safety regulations, the women's right to vote, the right of people of color to sit at a lunch counter or at the front of the bus. I suppose you think our efforts over the years were, as you put it, easy.

If I choose to retire outside of the US, that is my right, and you don't know enough about people or their reasons for moving to vilify them. You think we don't pay US taxes if we live abroad? We do.

I'm moving to Asia for 9 months a year once I retire in 7 years. I prefer the culture in my country of choice; it's buddhist in philosophy. The country doesn't care what religion you practice, it is all open, but not a big deal. It has more freedoms than I find in the US; medical costs are cheaper; the climate suits me better; and I speak the language. I also study something there that I can't in other places.

Please don't judge me or my motives.
And I don't discount your efforts in the past I am saying that is the type of thing we need now. It seems to me that there a lot more people willing to give up on their country now than there were back in your day... to be clear when did I make an issue of efforts of the past??? Are you trying to discredit me or was something misinterpreted?

I am not judging anyone I am stating what is going on. If somebody wants to see this country turned around they are going to stay here and fix the problem. If someone is more interested in what they want and they find that outside of the US then they care more about what they want than to see the US make a turnaround. How in any way shape or form is that incorrect? Are you taking offense to that because it is true? I am confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies