Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 03:48 PM

15,652 posts, read 10,417,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
They are living longer than every and getting three to four times the benefits they paid in. They do not support health coverage for those younger, they want it all for themselves. They have no problem with those younger and working paying for health coverage for themselves and their families, plus paying for Medicare plus paying for these elderly that didn't pay enough in.

Did you see those Tea Party protesters? Mostly older. They believe in market based solutions and that needs to start with themselves.
Seacove, millions of seniors paid into the system and were promised that Medicare would be there for them starting at age 65. These citizens played by the rules, acted in good faith, and held up their end of the bargain.

The problem is that the politicians in Washington have not acted in good faith. Instead, they have committed a gigantic fraud by underfunding the program. The anger and sense of betrayal that many seniors feel is completely understandable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 03:51 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,738,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Seacove, millions of seniors paid into the system and were promised that Medicare would be there for them starting at age 65. These citizens played by the rules, acted in good faith, and held up their end of the bargain.

The problem is that the politicians in Washington have not acted in good faith. Instead, they have committed a gigantic fraud by underfunding the program. The anger and sense of betrayal that many seniors feel is completely understandable.
Give me a break! Times change. They can get a calculation of what they paid in, deduct what they have cost the government already, and if there's any money left after some interest and inflation, they can get a voucher. They can put that toward a policy they pay for themselves.

We can end Obamacare but Medicare should end at the same time.

By the way, seniors were not PROMISED Medicare Part D! That was completely unfunded and a gift that needs to end as well.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:51 PM

89,124 posts, read 44,939,566 times
Quote:
Doubt away. For someone that supposedly makes so much money and pays so much in, you act like Medicare is your last hope.
It's not my last hope. It's a waste. Give me my money plus compounded interest back, and I'll fund my own health care.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It's not my last hope. It's a waste. Give me my money plus compounded interest back, and I'll fund my own health care.
Either you have all this money or you don't. I'm guessing the latter. With means testing, you wouldn't get squat anyway so you better get used to the idea that you will be paying for your own health coverage. As you know, with means testing, you pay in but you get nothing back.

Those are the breaks, time to put on your big pants, bootstraps and all that.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:54 PM

15,652 posts, read 10,417,959 times
Quote:
Give me a break! Times change. They can get a calculation of what they paid in, deduct what they have cost the government already, and if there's any money left after some interest and inflation, they can get a voucher. They can put that toward a policy they pay for themselves.

We can end Obamacare but Medicare should end at the same time.

By the way, seniors were not PROMISED Medicare Part D! That was completely unfunded and a gift that needs to end as well.
Seniors do share some responsibility for the Medicare fiasco. But their mistake was naïveté and gullibility. One of our endearing national characteristics is our readiness to take people at their word. Millions of decent Americans would never defraud or deceive their neighbor, and so they assume that others won’t deceive them.

We can see now what an enormous mistake it was to trust politicians’ promises.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:57 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,761,614 times
I would be happy with getting our money back we paid into medicare all these decades......It would save the government a lot of money.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Seniors do share some responsibility for the Medicare fiasco. But their mistake was naïveté and gullibility. One of our endearing national characteristics is our readiness to take people at their word. Millions of decent Americans would never defraud or deceive their neighbor, and so they assume that others won’t deceive them.

We can see now what an enormous mistake it was to trust politicians’ promises.
You cannot be for real. Seniors knew Medicare Part D was not funded. It was very clearly stated at the time. Where were their protests then? Total silence and the self-satisfied smiles of seniors getting medication at rock bottom prices.

But they hear that those younger might finally be able to get coverage and they load up into buses with signs. I have no pity for seniors, they only care about themselves. They can have their money back if there's any left after deducting what they've already cost.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I would be happy with getting our money back we paid into medicare all these decades......It would save the government a lot of money.
I wouldn't expect the government would give you money but they could give you a voucher toward coverage as they wind Medicare down and end it.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:16 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,555,220 times
Seacove is a walking advertisement for ending Obamacare.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:18 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,964,247 times
When are we, the American people going to stand up to this tyranny?

I had a mamogram last year during a cancer scare. My supposedly free Obozocare - I'm still fighting a $1,300 bill. I could have gotten a mamo for $99 on my own!

This whole thing is crazy and unamerican!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies