Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2015, 10:38 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That might be a bit overstated, but it is clear that public opinion has shifted solidly in favor of keep/fix and not repeal. Republican leadership and most candidates are, per usual, out of touch with changing public views.
That would be wrong.

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Repeal of Health Care Law: Favor/Oppose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Wrong, private insurance carriers follow the same fee schedule as Medicare.
Your premium payments from private insurance have nothing
to do with Medicare payments. Actually it has everything to do with hijacked administrative
cost increases. That also includes folks on Tricare and Medicare Advantage Plans (Part C) plans
which NEVER should have been put in the hands of private insurance companies.

Now, if we are talking the abuses of Durable Medical Equipment (DME) that is another story,
another fraud, another corruption linked to the Medicare Federal program....
They carry a very similar fee schedule, but we're talking about the billed rates.

If I bill Medicare $100 and they pay $10, that means I'm out $90 and need to pass it onto the next person.

The fact that the next person is an insurance company and pays $10, means I'm now out $180.

If the procedure costs me $50 to do, I now need to overbill cash payers.. hence the billed variance.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:46 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Both parties will need to come up with a solution rather than just criticizing, the are not going to take away health care from a few million people.
The biggest problem with ObamaCrud was the democrats were in total 100% control and with their Dear Leader they told the republicans and conservatives to take their conservative ideas and shove them where the never shines. They, with the leadership of Dear Leader, ran over everything and everybody playing politics all along the way.

And don't try to tell me the republicans didn't try to insert their ideas, the democraps wouldn't hear any of it and now they are fearful of the backlash.

They own this. Instead of working together they OWN all of it and now are anxious to shove off their blame wherever they can before they get hit with the sunlight.

You wanna fix medical in America? Get the lawyers the heck out of the system but you can't do that because lawyers are the biggest lobby group supporting the democrats who passed this piece of garbage bill.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Medicare is a government, single payer system while Obamacare is traditional, private insurance. Medicare Advantage is a kind of blend of the two - maybe a model for what we could consider going forward.
Actually Medicare is viewed as a single payer system, but in reality its not. Medicare takes taxpayers money, then funnels it to insurance companies who then insure the Medicare patients. Insurance companies collect the amount and judge the risk involved for carrying those patients while Medicare gets to budget for the yearly costs by having a set amount to be paid yearly.

If we REALLY wanted to make sure people had health care, and didnt get raked with excessive charges, then the hospitals would be run by the government. The government could pay each hospital a flat rate based upon regional demographics and the need for insurance would be non existent.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:01 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
They carry a very similar fee schedule, but we're talking about the billed rates.

If I bill Medicare $100 and they pay $10, that means I'm out $90 and need to pass it onto the next person.

The fact that the next person is an insurance company and pays $10, means I'm now out $180.

If the procedure costs me $50 to do, I now need to overbill cash payers.. hence the billed variance.
What a provider bills is irrelevant. What they get paid is.
If you are only getting 10 dollars for a procedure/patient and it is costing you 100 to provide that service, you will no longer take that plan or participate in that network.
Why do you think so many docs are saying no to Medicaid.
If you are talking cash pay patients, all they have to do is google medicare payments, and
they won't give you more than that either

Bottom line, you can bill 1000 dollars for something if you want to, but a provider isn't
getting that. Your getting what their fee schedule pays.
Providers know that ahead of time.

What is passed on to "the next person" BY Insurance Companies, is simply profit and mark up.
What a private doctor passes on to "the next person" if he doesn't have fixed/reasonable fees will likely
put him out of practice quicker than a conglomerate can buy his practice

Old 06-11-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
What a provider bills is irrelevant. What they get paid is.
If you are only getting 10 dollars for a procedure/patient and it is costing you 100 to provide that service, you will no longer take that plan or participate in that network.
Why do you think so many docs are saying no to Medicaid.
If you are talking cash pay patients, all they have to do is google medicare payments, and
they won't give you more than that either

Bottom line, you can bill 1000 dollars for something if you want to, but a provider isn't
getting that. Your getting what their fee schedule pays.
Providers know that ahead of time.

What is passed on to "the next person" BY Insurance Companies, is simply profit and mark up.
What a private doctor passes on to "the next person" if he doesn't have fixed/reasonable fees will likely
put him out of practice quicker than a conglomerate can buy his practice
I know, I've been saying that for years.. Thats why the fear mongering of the Democratis shouting $50K bills was so ridiculous in order to justify ACA..

The cash payers are the ones getting screwed, especially if they are too uninformed to ask for a cash discount.

And the fee schedule, often times pays minimum, not even close to actual costs to perform services, so they are indeed passing the buck onto the next guy.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:35 AM

39,079 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Your link is to polls that are two or more years old. Here's something more up to date and quite in depth.

Kaiser Health Tracking Poll: March 2015 | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

It is clear that the public is coming to accept Obamacare. They particularly oppose ending subsidies. Republicans, as usual, are out of step.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Your link is to polls that are two or more years old. Here's something more up to date and quite in depth.

Kaiser Health Tracking Poll: March 2015 | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

It is clear that the public is coming to accept Obamacare. They particularly oppose ending subsidies. Republicans, as usual, are out of step.
your own link shows it has a higher unfavorable than favorable.

Old 06-11-2015, 11:57 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:
IMP Republicans are not out of step. They are very aware that folks oppose ending subsidies.

Of course, they are against ending the subsidies. We would not want them to pay the
"actual cost of the premium" Let that dumb ass hard working tax payer who
make more than 50K a year in adjusted gross income, pay for that, right???

You know, when you have 47 percent of your population, not even paying federal income tax,
why would they even care about the Affordable Care Act....

Old 06-11-2015, 12:01 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Smile Help me to help you. Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You cannot explain, even if you tried....

Look another stupid link...

CARRY ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OK, here's post #52:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo
But the King v Burwell case is certainly a right wing action. And if the court rules for King et al, then the GOP will be like the dog that caught the car. They thought they got what they wanted so badly, but now what?
----------------------------------------------
Republicans in Congress are worried the Supreme Court will hand them a major headache this month if it rules against the federal health insurance exchanges in more than 30 states, ending subsidies for millions of people.

“The politics of the King vs. Burwell case are extremely treacherous and tricky for Republicans because if the subsidies are thrown out by the court, Republicans are in the position of having to create a fix that would be seen as a problem by their most conservative supporters,” said John Ullyot, a GOP strategist and former senior Senate aide.

“There’s a chance Republicans will get more of the blame because they’re in control of the House and Senate. Unless they can produce legislation, the blame will rest in their corner.”

Republicans fear they will win ObamaCare court battle | TheHill
Please point out the part(s) you're struggling with and I'll be glad to clarify it for you.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies