Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 08:48 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
He's compromised and his goals and motivations are suspect. He's definitely a sorry excuse for a Pope, certainly the worst in living memory. If you doubt his sincerity and his rational thinking, how can you put any faith in his religious teachings?
So the Pope needs to start bowing down to the global corporate agenda to get your approval?

Old 06-18-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
It's understandable that people who follow Bronze Age creeds would think so.
So true.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
what is "leftist" about halting or reversing the damage done to this precious planet ?

does the never-ending pursuit of avarice - the love of money - rule your entire mind ?

those who do not care about the environment are a scourge, a plague on nature.

I care more about nature's precious ecology than I care about scumbag corporate profits.

That doesn't make me a "liberal". It makes be a conscious human being.
But the people on the right pretty strongly feel that raising taxes and making more and stricter regulations is, by far, the wrong way to go about protecting the environment.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:58 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,835,361 times
The Catholic church has a long history of scientific ignorance. https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Galileo_affair

Old 06-18-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
"Science denier?" Nobody "denies" science. I do deny that "global warming" is based on science though. It's a proven hoax!

And you?
LOL, if only global warming could be corrected by cutting taxes and regulations, you would NOT reject it, think it's based on sound science and corrections certainly needed to be aggressively pursued by the government.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
Not that I'm a fan of the Catholic Church, but at least the Pope has a Masters degree in chemistry and has a clue about science.
SNOPES thinks that is mostly FALSE.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post

How can any rational person seriously believe this is some kind of a political 'hoax'? It would have to be a massive complex worldwide conspiracy with everyone involved keeping silent for the past 50 years. Everyone would have to be corrupt. All the evidence would have to be faked. And the laws of physics would have had to be faked as well. Is that sort of thinking rational? No
But opponents feer there is far too much to lose in raising taxes and making more strict regulations should the dire claims about what to expect from global warming turn out to be all wrong.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:16 PM

209 posts, read 134,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
And Catholic politicians like Pelosi, stepped right into it, by using the Pope's encyclical calling for climate legislation because we have a moral responsibility to protect "god's creation," the planet. Now she will have to square that one with the Pope saying allowing abortion and being a treehugger are incompatible.[/b][/i]
I must admit, it will make for some pretty fine entertainment watching Pelosi deal with this. One can only hope that she, and others, may have a 'ah ha' moment...

Old 06-18-2015, 09:18 PM

29,546 posts, read 19,640,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Actually the US emits almost three times as much CO2 per person than China does, and ten times as much per person as India.
Good for us, and we will continue to emit co2 as long as we are the industrial engine of the world (though our co2 per capita is down to 1960 level since).

China too will continue to do so at an ever increasing rate. They already surpassed the per capita of the EU. As for India, give them 20 years, they still have 400+ million people without lightbulb in their huts

Old 06-18-2015, 09:26 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,591,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Poor right wingers! Don't like a religious leader who is more educated and compassionate than their own homegrown, fanatical flat earth religious leaders who care more about what people do in their bedrooms than they care about science.
A tangled web for both left and right, a free thinker. But wait, is he pro-science or anti-science? It has to be one or the other, but he thinks things I don't think. How can it be? What box is he in? I can agree with him on some points and disagree on others, but I am relieved to have someone - anyone - that doesn't fit into a box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies