Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 09:55 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,543,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Will he be issuing a dire church child molestation warning next week or is he going to try and get the whole Climate Change deal taken care of first?
Nice cheap shot. That took a lot of imagination.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:28 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,240,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFarrell View Post
I'm very aware of that. This Pope is unusual in that sense - However, within this new encyclical, he condemns both abortion and homosexuality (etc.) This hasn't been widely reported on yet and might change favorable opinions of him.

Typically, the radical Left don't like most Popes, and that includes the radical Left within the Church!

You have no idea what the left is.

The left doesn't like abortions, they are just smart enough to recognize it's a tragic but necessary evil. The Pope never said it should be banned outright either. So the Pope's stance is quite align with the left on this. Bravo Pope.

The Pope actually invited a major homosexual group to meet in the Vatican. He never said he opposes civil union. So again, quite align with many on the left.

Nice try but no cupcake.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:43 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,393,354 times
Quote:
You don't know the first thing about me and who and what I've studied. But seeing as you've revealed yourself to be a Lefty, I can understand your resistance to discuss Climate Change or Communism rationally.
All I know about you is what you post. Your posts imply that you believe that mainstream climate science is some kind of massive secret 'Communist plot'. Happy for you to correct me if I got that wrong.
Quote:
Not all scientists are aboard Climate Change bandwagon that the climate is caused by man or be controlled by man. Have you been unaware of that differing scientific opinion? Have you yourself been 'Duped?'
I don't think any legitimate climate scientist has claimed that "the climate is caused by man or can be controlled by man". That's called a dishonest strawman argument.

I am very aware of the differing opinions of a handful of scientists who don't accept mainstream science and the overwhelming evidence of the impact of human activities (like adding gigatons of GHGs into the atmosphere every year) on the global climate.

For example, Roy Spencer, Patrick Michaels, David Legates and a few others (like economist Ross McKitrick) who are members of the evangelical Cornwall Alliance who don't believe that humans can affect the climate because God wouldn't allow it and think that fossil fuels are "God's bounty" for humans to use and who think science and government should be "biblically based". Sadly, they have to dishonestly cherry-pick and misrepresent the science to maintain their religious worldviews.

Or scientists like Willie Soon who get paid by fossil-fuel stakeholders to write substandard papers based on flawed science in obscure Journals. Much like a handful of scientists who worked for the Tobacco industry did to 'dupe' people into thinking there was no link between smoking and lung disease (Frederick Seitz, Fred Singer). Or Richard Lindzen who was caught out presenting lies about NASA and had to write an apology, and who stubbornly clings to failed ideas that have been rebutted years ago. There are a few others I could mention... The problem is they haven't been able to back up their opinions without resorting to misrepresenting the science and/or ignoring any scientific evidence that contradicts their political ideology.

Have I been 'duped' by mainstream science? It's possible - but only if mainstream science has managed to fake the laws of physics (which means any technology based on the physics of atmospheric heat transfer wouldn't work -like heat-seeking missiles), and tens of thousands of scientists, thousands of universities, hundreds of science institutions, hundreds of academic publishing companies publishing tens of thousands of published research articles, private and government research organizations from all over the world etc - have all involved in a massive secret cover-up for the past 60 years.

I don't automatically believe everything I read in the media, especially the tabloid press or by politicians, and I try to fact-check by researching the sources of claims and reading any cited articles in the science Journals. I am no expert and the earth sciences are not my field of expertise, so I've also read a lot (from legitimate science sources, well referenced textbooks etc) to inform myself about the theory and evidence behind global warming and climate change and the basics of the climate sciences involved.
Quote:
I suggested Kengor's book because it was a good starter book in the field. You want something more academic, read Richard Pipes histories on Soviet History - he's a well known expert on the field in academia.
Oh, wait, Pipes is a conservative, so I suppose you'll find some excuse to avoid learning from his research too.
Sorry, I don't buy into the "the Soviet Commies are still under our beds and are plotting to take over the world!" paranoia in the 21st century. It's long past it's use-by date.

Have you fact-checked any of Kengor's books (you're right that they aren't academic) or read reviews form people who have fact-checked his claims? I read some scathing reviews and watched a couple of interviews with him after you suggested his book. I wouldn't automatically believe anything he wrote- he comes across as a propagandist.

I don't know anything about Pipes other than a quick look at a Wiki bio - on the surface, it looks like he had an interesting career and views. Doesn't look like he has written anything about any alleged Communist conspiracy about climate science, so not sure why you are bringing him up.

Last edited by Ceist; 06-21-2015 at 12:43 AM..

Old 06-21-2015, 05:14 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,839,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
He's compromised and his goals and motivations are suspect. He's definitely a sorry excuse for a Pope, certainly the worst in living memory. If you doubt his sincerity and his rational thinking, how can you put any faith in his religious teachings?

This pope's upbringing, saturated with Latin American politics contrasts greatly with that of John Paul, who was a product of oppression in Poland. Good thing he (along with Reagan and Thatcher) helped topple communism in the east, because the current pope wouldn't have bothered.

And, clearly, he missed Jesus' parable about the three servants.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:26 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,839,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I haven't been a Catholic for a number of years (even though I had 16 years of Catholic Schools), but I'm pretty sure you cannot pick and choose to support or not support the Pope.

Leave the church, if you hate the Pope. I feel crazy even having to say that.

Well, this little girl is a practicing Roman Catholic, so allow me to say that this encyclical has nothing to do with papal infallibility.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:48 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,322,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
He got it pretty right, although his church is also to blame because it is partly responsible for the overpopulation in some countries like the Philippines. The fact that he is hated so much only shows that he keeps hitting nerves...
Are you serious? Really? This goes to show the idiocy of the anti-Christian Left. The church is now to blame for "over population!"

Please. This is just sick!

Old 06-21-2015, 08:04 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,084,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Are you serious? Really? This goes to show the idiocy of the anti-Christian Left. The church is now to blame for "over population!"

I grew up in a very Catholic neighborhood in Chicago in the 70s and every family on my block had at least six kids, and many more with eight, ten, even more. All good practicing Catholics who obeyed the no contraceptives doctrines of the faith. Happily, most American Catholics have grown up and realize the church isn't going to support all those kids they advocate their followers have, and they disregard the more ridiculous parts of the dogma. We call them cafeteria Catholics--they pick and choose what to follow and what to disregard. Or like me and every one of my five siblings, they simply leave the church altogether.

Other parts of the world are more devout, and the Philippines are one such place. So yeah, the church has definitely contributed to over popuation in many parts of the world. Hopefully those populations grow up spiritually soon, too.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:14 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,597,807 times
Here's a crazy thought...

read the encyclical before commenting.

Laudato si' (24 May 2015)

Old 06-21-2015, 01:05 PM

33,559 posts, read 37,160,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post

What is sick is the Catholic ban on birth control....My grandmother was a devout Catholic....She had 13 kids, and by the time she was 80 she had 104 direct descendents....The Catholic church definitely contributes to over population.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:24 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
"Rich Nations Destroying The Poor"- said the Pope from his gold throne
That is a good one. The Roman Catholic Church is the richest entity on the planet.
And they are so secretive that people can only guess its wealth.

I'm still waiting for this "Pope of the Poor" to open its coffers to fight global poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies