Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 08:27 PM

209 posts, read 134,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
"Why do we celebrate Earth Day on April 22? The date stems from an earlier observance, Arbor Day. And the date of Arbor Day was set due to the birthday of J. Sterling Morton, a Nebraska pioneer and journalist, who launched the first Arbor Day in 1872."

Why is Earth Day on April 22? | Earth | EarthSky

As for the history of the science behind global warming, you have to go back to the 1800's as well.

Try reading "Discovery of Global Warming" by Prof Spencer Weart on the American Institute of Physics website:

The Carbon Dioxide Greenhouse Effect

and

The Public and Climate Change (1)

The article you linked to neglected to mention the additional rationale for celebrating the inaugural Earth Day on April 22, 1970—the late Russian dictator Vladimir Lenin’s Centennial birthday.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:29 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,393,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFarrell View Post
The article you linked to neglected to mention the additional rationale for celebrating the inaugural Earth Day on April 22, 1970—the late Russian dictator Vladimir Lenin’s Centennial birthday.
So now it's Lenin? Yep, it seems you have been reading too many nutty far-right conspiracy blogs.

Earth Day and Lenin - Is Earth Day a Communist Plot?

Of course Earth Day can't possibly be because April 22nd is Arbor Day which was first celebrated in 1872.

Earth Day MUST be April 22nd because it's Lenin's birthday... because climate science is a massive Communist Plot to take over the world!!!!

Last edited by Ceist; 06-19-2015 at 08:54 PM..

Old 06-19-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Are you saying you believe climate science is some huge Communist hoax started by Stalin?

Methinks you've been reading too many nutty conspiracy blogs.
Climate Crisis is a mechanism for gaining control over large groups of people via taxes and regulations. It's just a delivery system.

Methinks you need to bone up on the uncensored Soviet history available from academic historians.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:43 PM

32,080 posts, read 15,081,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
The lefties must suddenly love Christianity and Catholicism now.
Not at all, since many on the left are christians. I know that is hard for you to fathom but it's true.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Climate Crisis is a mechanism for gaining control over large groups of people via taxes and regulations. It's just a delivery system.

Methinks you need to bone up on the uncensored Soviet history available from academic historians.
Methinks you need to bone up on science. And clean out those Commies from the 50's under your bed. Along with the dust bunnies.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
So now it's Lenin? Yep, it seems you have been reading too many nutty far-right conspiracy blogs.

Earth Day and Lenin - Is Earth Day a Communist Plot?

Of course Earth Day can't possibly be because April 22nd is Arbor Day which was first celebrated in 1872.

Earth Day MUST be April 22nd because it's Lenin's birthday... because climate science is a massive Communist Plot to take over the world!!!!
Guess what? When the 'Climate Control/Warming/Change Movement' fizzles out, and it will, there will be something else promoted to grab control of peoples and countries. Look beyond Climate Control to the bigger picture.

I'm not going to argue with you - I know what I know, so your smugness towards me just comes across as ignorance.

If you are truly interested in learning, a good book is
Dupes' by Paul Krengor - lots of details, easy reading, good footnotes and list of sources

Old 06-19-2015, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Guess what? When the 'Climate Control/Warming/Change Movement' fizzles out, and it will, there will be something else promoted to grab control of peoples and countries. Look beyond Climate Control to the bigger picture.

I'm not going to argue with you - I know what I know, so your smugness towards me just comes across as ignorance.

Dupes' by Paul Krengor - lots of details, easy reading, good footnotes and list of sources
So instead of learning about the science, you read a book (or claim to) by an American conservative Catholic political scientist who still thinks there are Communists under his bed, thinks that Obama is a Communist, and speaks for the Koch brothers funded Heritage Foundation. From this, you believe mainstream science worldwide is all a massive Communist plot to take over the world? Did you hear about him from the Glen Beck show? It's Kengor btw, not Krengor.

Have you ever considered the possibility that it's you who has been 'Duped'?

By the way, when exactly do you think global warming will 'fizzle out' and how? On what scientific evidence do you base that statement? Do you believe the laws of physics are a Communist plot too?

Last edited by Ceist; 06-20-2015 at 12:20 AM..

Old 06-19-2015, 11:48 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
It's hilarious to see all the bible thumper conservatives suddenly turn on the pope once he points out the obvious: that Christianity and capitalism-centered conservatism are irreconcilably antithetical.

Conservatives, time to stop pretending your Christians. You're not.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:49 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,240,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Not just some Repubs, some Dems are wackadoodles as well IMHO.

Of course there are wackos on both sides but like the old saying:

The difference between Democrats and Republicans is that Democrats don't vote crazy wackos into offices. For Republicans, it's the norm.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:50 PM

32,080 posts, read 15,081,434 times
Quote:

Actually, we don't really know anything. Maybe it's wishful thinking or speculation on all our parts to think we know what's best. All I can say is that we better take care of this planet for our future generations and not be so smug and arrogant to think we don't affect it. You don't have to read a book to learn....just use common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies