Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2015, 01:27 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,714,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
You live in alternate media reality than the one in the real world.

Did you read that long report where you cut and pasted that from? It absolutely does not address what you were responding to.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:30 AM

243 posts, read 283,647 times
Quote:
The chief of police said he thought it was a hate crime. So people saying it was a hate crime are in the company of the chief of police and aren't jumping to conclusions. They are listening to the government official heading the manhunt and investigation into the murders.

All of these lectures about not jumping to conclusions don't fly when the chief of police said it was a hate crime.
He said he thought it was a "hate crime"...he did not definitively declare it being racially motivated like people here are. But like Mayor Riley said immediately after that the only way someone could commit such a crime is out of hate.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:37 AM

243 posts, read 283,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
No offense to the god folks on here - but where was their SECURITY?

Anybody ever heard of someone carrying a GUN, so they can SHOOT BACK?

With all the rhetoric pro and anti-gun in this country NOBODY ever seems to actually have a gun when they need one in these shootings.

In the few cases where an armed citizen or cop has been present or arrived rapidly the shooter has either given up or offed themselves immediately without harming anyone else.

Every church should have an armed security team. I'm not saying AR's flaking the alter, but an off duty plain clothes officer or other trained church member. Heck I have a friend who is a pastor and TEACHES firearm safety on the side. Someone attacks his church and they might get a big surprise!
I can honestly say that I have never even thought about having the need for security at a church. I've lived in the Charleston area basically my entire life (college was spent in Columbia only a couple hours away) and even the non-religious respected the church. Before this I could not fathom anyone going into a house of worship (no matter what the religion) and perpetrating such an act.

Then again this is no longer the Charleston I grew up with (in many different ways).

I also believe at one point the state of SC had a very old law (don't know if it is still on the books) that required you to carry a firearm with you to church.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:39 AM

563 posts, read 525,867 times
Default Iamme73

Quote:
What's the point of your post to me?

Again, the spector of mental illness being the cause of the murders was brought up in this thread. The poster was responding directly to thay post that brought up mental illness being the cause.

The rest of your post is irrelevant to any of my posts in this thread.

Also, the chief of police said he thought it was a hate crime. And I think he said they would pursue it as a hate crime So that's pretty good indication that it was a hate crime.

But I didn't post anything about a hate crime. Or the motives of the shooter.

So I don't know why you responded to me in that manner, maybe you meant to respond to another poster got me by accident?
My previous post was not directed to you. That was not my intent. I posted as an observation loosely based on something you had quoted or posted. It was not geared toward you, but I felt it did tie in. But that is just my opinion.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:40 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,029,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock303 View Post
For all we know at this point the suspect could have been targeting Christians or just looking for a random group of people and came upon the church before reaching a bar.

Until the suspect is found and captured it is pointless to assume the reason behind this senseless violence. Automatically assuming this was race related doesn't do any good at this point just like it would not do any good if the races were reversed. In fact it does far more harm than good.

Hopefully this animal will be found and brought to justice and the community can use this tragic incident to come together and build a stronger Charleston...but playing the race game isn't going to make that happen.
Well, it seems fairly likely that racial hatred was a motivator - the likelihood of targeting Christians - who just 'happened to be black' seems improbable. I would certainly make the same tentative assumption if the races were reversed. Anyway ... early days, all is ultimately supposition, hopefully more information will come to light when the perp is brought to book.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:42 AM

563 posts, read 525,867 times
Default Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock303 View Post
He said he thought it was a "hate crime"...he did not definitively declare it being racially motivated like people here are. But like Mayor Riley said immediately after that the only way someone could commit such a crime is out of hate.
I could not agree with you more. I see it the same.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:45 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,155,651 times
If it was "atheist" related, then he would most likely attack a white church, not a black church since he again most likely comes in contact with other whites in his every day life. Specifically targetting the oldest AME church in the South....yeah...come on now.

EDIT: Just so funny how people are quick to excuse or dismiss motives when they're white, but when they're black, it's automatically assumed they are a thug or "savages".

Old 06-18-2015, 01:46 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,045,108 times
Quote:
You live in alternate media reality than the one in the real world.

Such coverage may reinforce biases against black and Latino defendants even in the absence of specific pretrial publicity about a given defendant’s case. Here are some examples from the extensive research literature detailing the varied and subtle ways in which television and print news stereotype blacks and Latinos in crime coverage:
1. Blacks and Latinos are more likely than whites to appear as lawbreakers in news—particularly when the news is focusing on violent crime.18 Blacks and Latinos are more likely to appear as perpetrators than victims.19 Blacks are overrepresented as perpetrators of violent crime when news coverage is compared with arrest rates.20 Work that engages in “inter-reality” comparisons suggests the media portrayal is somewhat less distorted than the comparison of the number of black, white, and Latino perpetrators might imply.21 Nonetheless, the picture is troubling, suggesting that news cultivates the perception of blacks and Latinos as lawbreakers.

2. In contrast, whites are overrepresented as victims of violence and as law-enforcers, while blacks are underrepresented in these sympathetic roles.22

3. These patterns are more disturbing when one considers that blacks and Latinos may not appear as frequently as whites outside the crime-news context. Because of the values that define the newsworthy, blacks in criminal roles tend to outnumber blacks in socially positive roles in newscasts and daily newspapers.23 In some areas, at least, Latinos may receive even worse treatment than blacks. Chiricos and Eschholz examined three weeks of local-news programming in Orlando and found that one in twenty whites appearing on the local television news was a criminal suspect compared with one in eight blacks and one in four Latinos.24Z
1. Blacks are overrepresented in news coverage as criminals because THEY USUALLY COMMIT THE MAJORITY OF VIOLENT CRIME.

I don't know where you live, but here in Toronto where I am, blacks are the predominate perpetrators of violent crime and murder so with Toronto being a mostly safe and peaceful city with extremely low crime rates, OF COURSE the local news here is going to report any crime that happens here regardless of the race/ethnicity of the suspect. The only thing is most of the time they WON'T state the race of the suspect because it usually involves blacks if its a violent crime.

I don't know what you want. Do you mean the news SHOULD NOT report violent crime and murder because it might make people biased towards certain ethnicities/races? Is that what you really want? >_>

2. Whites are overrepresented as victims of violence BECAUSE THAT'S THE TRUTH. Blacks are underrepresented because NON-BLACKS RARELY COMMIT CRIME AGAINST BLACKS. Most crime committed against blacks is committed by other blacks.

3. The local news usually reports what's happening in their community and if it happens that blacks or latinos ends up in the news for crime more often than whites, then what's the issue here? That's the REALITY of the situation. If blacks and latinos are so concerned about this, then why don't they RAISE THEIR KIDS PROPERLY and try harder at keeping their kids from turning bad and ending up on the nightly news? White and asian parents seem to be doing a pretty damn good job of doing so, why can't blacks and latinos?

Old 06-18-2015, 01:49 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,155,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
1. Blacks are overrepresented in news coverage as criminals because THEY USUALLY COMMIT THE MAJORITY OF VIOLENT CRIME.

I don't know where you live, but here in Toronto where I am, blacks are the predominate perpetrators of violent crime and murder so with Toronto being a mostly safe and peaceful city with extremely low crime rates, OF COURSE the local news here is going to report any crime that happens here regardless of the race/ethnicity of the suspect. The only thing is most of the time they WON'T state the race of the suspect because it usually involves blacks if its a violent crime.

I don't know what you want. Do you mean the news SHOULD NOT report violent crime and murder because it might make people biased towards certain ethnicities/races? Is that what you really want? >_>

2. Whites are overrepresented as victims of violence BECAUSE THAT'S THE TRUTH. Blacks are underrepresented because NON-BLACKS RARELY COMMIT CRIME AGAINST BLACKS. Most crime committed against blacks is committed by other blacks.

3. The local news usually reports what's happening in their community and if it happens that blacks or latinos ends up in the news for crime more often than whites, then what's the issue here? That's the REALITY of the situation. If blacks and latinos are so concerned about this, then why don't they RAISE THEIR KIDS PROPERLY and try harder at keeping their kids from turning bad and ending up on the nightly news? White and asian parents seem to be doing a pretty damn good job of doing so, why can't blacks and latinos?
Clearly, white parents are doing so well at raising their kids from events like this tonight.......or Waco shooting or the movie threatre shooting or Sandy hook.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:49 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,704,943 times
The shooter is caught and charged and at best he will get a few years in a mental facility. As far as the government and judicial system is concerned. The shooter did them a favor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies