Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 10:03 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Gee. I only paid $5 with free shipping for my 3' x 5' flag yesterday on eBay. I think that they were on sale. Would like to add a Confederate flag mug to my collection in the kitchen. We fly a Gadsen flag outside our house.

Yes, I never felt the need to have one of these flags before. But all this nonsense about banning a piece of Civil War history really annoys me and I think that I should have one hanging in my house now. I will not be bullied by the PC police into forgetting this part of our US history.

Americans didn't invent slavery. The concept has been around for tens of thousands of years and everywhere on this planet. Now we know better, but honestly at the time that slavery was present in America, society didn't know any better and the African people by the way they presented themselves in Africa, just came across as a very primitive society that was between the much more advanced European cultures and the cave man. The Africans at that time were living in Stone Age conditions. And btw the Australian aborigines and the Native Americans were living not much differently. It's high time that we all move forward and stop looking backwards.
Congratulations you are now by default a racist because of the piece of cloth you bought

Just kidding

Old 06-24-2015, 10:04 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,653,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The KKK was formed and populated from its inception almost exclusively by Southern Democrats. When this movement finally and mercifully began to fizzle out after World War II, especially in the late 1950's and early 1960's, the Democrats realized they needed to find a new flag carrier for their platform of promoting racial intolerance and discrimination. Which they did, by transferring the racist banner from the white racist groups to the black racist groups like the NAACP and the CBC in the middle to late 1960's.

That was the switch that took place. Any suggestion that there was some sort of mass-mental switcharoo between the parties is pure undefiled made-up bullshi_. And you have to be a special kind of gullible and dumb to believe something that is so obviously unbelievable and untrue as that idea clearly is.

The only political party that has ever advocated true non-discriminatory, colorblind racial policies is the Republicans. They were the ones who defeated slavery under Lincoln, they voted for the Civil Rights Act by larger margins than the Democrats in 1964, and they continue to push for this same sort of non-discriminatory colorblind justice to this very day.
Did you know the Klan was huge in Indiana after WWI? Have you done any research on the Klan outside of the South?

Old 06-24-2015, 10:07 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Why don't we just remove from history, any and all mention of the Civil War ? It would end the controversy of the "Flag", it would remove all references to slavery, inequality, racism, etc. If removing the Confederate flag will accomplish anything, then forgetting about the Civil War would be even greater. It's so simple.
problem? what problem? this is only a problem that exist with those who watch a lot of MSNBC/CNN.. the rest of the world doesn't whine over a piece of cloth.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:09 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The KKK was formed and populated from its inception almost exclusively by Southern Democrats. When this movement finally and mercifully began to fizzle out after World War II, especially in the late 1950's and early 1960's, the Democrats realized they needed to find a new flag carrier for their platform of promoting racial intolerance and discrimination. Which they did, by transferring the racist banner from the white racist groups to the black racist groups like the NAACP and the CBC in the middle to late 1960's.

That was the switch that took place. Any suggestion that there was some sort of mass-mental switcharoo between the parties is pure undefiled made-up bullshi_. And you have to be a special kind of gullible and dumb to believe something that is so obviously unbelievable and untrue as that idea clearly is.

The only political party that has ever advocated true non-discriminatory, colorblind racial policies is the Republicans. They were the ones who defeated slavery under Lincoln, they voted for the Civil Rights Act by larger margins than the Democrats in 1964, and they continue to push for this same sort of non-discriminatory colorblind justice to this very day.
That might explain why it is republicans like you who have been dying to see the confederate flag and similar symbols of racial hatred destroyed, gay marriage allowed (those KKk aren't very fond of them, I bet). In fact, y'all have had a pretty good political majorityin this region where KkK and like are also very strong. Coincidence?

Old 06-24-2015, 10:09 PM

601 posts, read 460,277 times
Pretty sure the flag problem is working itself out.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:56 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,057,141 times
My point was, that removing the flag doesn't solve anything, it was done to appease a minority of folks and to show that the politicians "feel your pain". It's strictly symbolic and has no effect on the issue. It's just like the "Let's pass more gun laws and that will take care of the problem" mentality. It's sickening to see these spineless politicians bow to these groups, but it certainly shows why this country is in the shape it is.

And CBMD, does your family raise a toast to your uncle Joe at family gatherings ?

Old 06-25-2015, 08:18 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,730,854 times
All of this ban the Flag or any symbol of the Confederacy is going to put the kibosh on the reenacting world!!!
Yahoo!-

Old 06-25-2015, 08:24 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
Rewriting History is ridiculous.

People need to get over the fact that settlers came to this country and virtually waged war on and destroyed the way of life of many Native American tribes.

Sorry some of the founding Fathers of America owned slaves and those slaves happened to be black. If we look at the History of the World there has always been slavery and it involved all races.

Sorry folks, America had a Civil War and symbols of that uprising or the War of Northern Aggression depending on which side you were on still hold power for some and they consider it as part of their heritage.

Doing away with the symbols such as the confederate flag because of some silly PC knee jerk reaction is stupid.

We need to hold on to these symbols, use them as talking and teaching points for those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:31 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
Leftists can never give up the past.
???

It's the southern conservatives who seem to not be able to give up the past; re: confederate flags flying, confederate symbols on vehicles, etc.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:34 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
There is no flag problem. There is a people problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies