Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 08:22 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,771,792 times

Advertisements

The Democrats are desperate to rewrite history and deny that they were the party of slavery. Jim Crow, and the KKK.. That is the only reason that they keep bringing up the War Between the States. Leftists can never give up the past.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:26 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Funny just how we're not supposed to judge all Muslims based on the acts of a tens of thousands nutcases committing butchery in the name of Islam. Yet we're supposed to judge everyone that has or displays a Rebel flag based on the action of one nutcase.

Liberalism is a mental disease.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:29 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,038,973 times
There is no answer except to stop going overboard with it. In all reality, it should've been left alone. Because the dominoes are falling. You have some gunning for the American flag now, which I believe there will be slowly more and more "Americans" calling for that as time goes on. You have people going after monuments of founding fathers. How long until they go after changing the currency? The founding documents?

Companies are free to do what they wish but it is very concerning to see how quickly they bow to some pressure OR more likely the case, make moves that they believe will make themselves look good to some. Funny how ebay and Amazon have quickly moved to ban sales of the Confederate flag, yet Nazi flags are fine. Media with the N word, message of violence, etc are all okay. Communism media is okay apparently also, even though Communism has killed millions and millions of people. Mao....how many people did he have a hand in killing? Che? He is no saint. Many find him offensive as well as Communism but apparently, they are okay to be sold in different forms? Hypocrisy. It shows you that these companies/people dont really care about this sudden phony controversy, they are just trying to appear "good" and kill up to the media. The media wasn't going after Communism, nazi stuff, etc so these companies will continue to sell those items.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:34 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,038,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Funny just how we're not supposed to judge all Muslims based on the acts of a tens of thousands nutcases committing butchery in the name of Islam. Yet we're supposed to judge everyone that has or displays a Rebel flag based on the action of one nutcase.

Yep. There are plenty of people that find the Koran offensive. In fact, right now, ISIS is using that to justify their torture and murder (which seems to be getting more horrific and I didn't think that was possible until what I read earlier today). This 21 year old hateful idiot had a Confederate flag and didnt necessarily use that as his justification like ISIS and the like do, yet the Quran is okay......

I am not calling for a ban on the Quran or the cease of its sales. Im calling for the end of hypocrisy. But apparently, the media and such do not want to have that conversation.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:36 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,072,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C. Ogilvy View Post
The Democrats are desperate to rewrite history and deny that they were the party of slavery. Jim Crow, and the KKK.. That is the only reason that they keep bringing up the War Between the States. Leftists can never give up the past.
Actually, the entire thing is being used as a way to try and galvanize African Americans in large numbers to vote for the Democratic nominee next year.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:52 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,653,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
I don't understand the talk of taking down other civil war related memorials. The objection to the confederate flag is that it has been commandeered by white supremacist hate groups and racist killers like Dylann Roof. OK, so it appears that the vast majority of people are in agreement that this flag has finished its course as a useful symbol for usage by a formal government entity in the United States of America, including the vast majority of politicians at the state level, across the country.

But to extend that to say a Jefferson Davis statue does not make sense to me. Now if they want to move the statue or something, fine. However, no hate groups that I am aware of have adopted this statue as a symbol for their racist agendas. And he is a legitimate and important historical figure in this country, whether he anyone likes that or not.

The one statue I would like to see removed and possibly destroyed is the bust of Nathan Bedford Forrest - the founder of the KKK - that currently resides in the Tennessee statehouse. This appears to be a pretty straight-forward no-brainer of a move in my opinion.
You clearly don't know that Forrest also disbanded the KKK because it got too violent. This is almost never mentioned. Get all the facts before you judge.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:53 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,653,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epliny View Post
I am convinced that the dumbing down of most Americans is almost complete when it comes to our history!

The real Stars and Bars:

The flag that the media keeps calling the Stars and Bars is the Confederate Naval Jack.

More history:

The historical reasons for the War of Northern Aggression have more to do with severe tariffs and duties the North placed on Southern goods than with slavery.

The Yankee border states had slaves too.
In fact, the Emancipation Proclamation was just a war ploy on Lincoln’s part, “freeing” only the slaves in the confederacy, and trying to create a fifth column behind enemy lines.

The border state slaves remained enslaved until the end of the war.

Lincoln was quoted as saying he wanted to send all the blacks back to Africa.

For your scrap books:
Agreed. I've seen more ignorant remarks about history and historic figures since this happened than I have in a long time.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:56 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,253,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

It's a Republican governor who wants it removed.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:58 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,524,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
You don't even understand my point...................which sort of WAS my point.

Republicans can't claim that they were the party that ended slavery, vilify democrats of that time period and then in their next breath turn around and talk about their confederate "heritage". To do so is absolutely and completely intellectually dishonest.
Republicans are not doing that. Some Southerners are though, and there is no intellectual dishonesty in that, unless it is yours.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:58 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,253,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Yep. There are plenty of people that find the Koran offensive. In fact, right now, ISIS is using that to justify their torture and murder (which seems to be getting more horrific and I didn't think that was possible until what I read earlier today). This 21 year old hateful idiot had a Confederate flag and didnt necessarily use that as his justification like ISIS and the like do, yet the Quran is okay......

I am not calling for a ban on the Quran or the cease of its sales. Im calling for the end of hypocrisy. But apparently, the media and such do not want to have that conversation.
Call Fox News.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies