Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2015, 02:23 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,122,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Slavery was wrong, everyone admits it was, but the fact we had slavery, doesnt mean the flag indicates what people pretend it does.

The Civil War could very well have been fought over taxation, or abortion, and the flag still would have been used.
I'm glad the SC politicians, that are likely on your side of the Aisle, disagree as does almost anyone with a measure of common sense. Its not that difficult to understand really; it is a symbol of oppression. Why in the hell is that so difficult to grasp?!?!?! Fly that crap on your own property and be happy. Last time I checked, I pay taxes just like you and your vote has no more weight than mine. Remove it from State grounds.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:25 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
But you have found liberals/progressives demanding and defending the confederate flag?

miu

17,769 posts, read 40,184,340 times
I wonder how soon Civil War reenactments will be banned?

14,317 posts, read 22,393,569 times
Default The GOP will go the way of the Confederate flag

The Confederate flag is suddenly a symbol of intolerable revulsion. This is long overdue. It is a repulsive symbol of the foundational basis for the Conservative ideology, and the country is unified in destroying and eliminating it from existence.

The political meaning is far more ominous for REPUBLICANS. As the Confederate flag goes, so does the GOP.

Old 06-24-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yes, once you put that piece of cloth away, racism will disappear.
You're right it won't, but maybe the next young white racist thug won't be parading around with that flag or will he/she? Its funny how most racists embrace the confederate flag..you ever wonder why??

Old 06-24-2015, 02:28 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
The Confederate flag is suddenly a symbol of intolerable revulsion. This is long overdue. It is a repulsive symbol of the foundational basis for the Conservative ideology, and the country is unified in destroying and eliminating it from existence.

The political meaning is far more ominous for REPUBLICANS. As the Confederate flag goes, so does the GOP.

Yeah..Cool story brah!

Old 06-24-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Blame the victim. That's nice of you. There are jerks, bullies and racists in all income levels and in all neighborhoods. Donald Trump is proof of that.
Maybe not according to his 'Apprentice' Alum's..

Old 06-24-2015, 02:34 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What is so special?
The Declaration of Causes of Seceding States

Here:

What is the difference? The initial and major reason for secession. I got all of this from the Articles of Secession.
And do you really think everyone who fly's this flag is doing so because of those reasons?

because they want to see the "south to rise again" and they are "pro slavery"

you don't think for most its just a symbol of the redneck subculture and a southern pride thing? having nothing to do with slavery and secession?

Old 06-24-2015, 02:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtodd View Post
You're right it won't, but maybe the next young white racist thug won't be parading around with that flag or will he/she? Its funny how most racists embrace the confederate flag..you ever wonder why??
The racists didn't embrace that flag until 100 years after the Civil War ended.
In fact the KKK first used the US Flag before usurping the Battle Flag of Northern Virginia.

Here's a KKK march in 1925 in Washington DC. Look at the flags they are bearing.
The Misrepresented Political History of the Confederate Battle Flag | US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Old 06-24-2015, 02:52 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
And do you really think everyone who fly's this flag is doing so because of those reasons?

because they want to see the "south to rise again" and they are "pro slavery"

you don't think for most its just a symbol of the redneck subculture and a southern pride thing? having nothing to do with slavery and secession?
Honestly, this is how I see it. I don't buy the "it was about states' rights, not slavery" argument because I just showed you evidence of the opposite. If one has knowledge of that, then there is no excuse after that. I have to assume if said person knows that and still flies the flag, what else to do gather from that?

If this was about "redneck" and "southern pride", why pick a flag that represents a now-vanquished nation that seceded because it desired to badly to keep slavery around?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies