Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2015, 08:35 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,652,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Funny just how we're not supposed to judge all Muslims based on the acts of a tens of thousands nutcases committing butchery in the name of Islam. Yet we're supposed to judge everyone that has or displays a Rebel flag based on the action of one nutcase.
People who display the rebel flag have nothing in common?

Like it or not, a flag is a symbol; it has meaning, as all symbols do.

Quite different from your example above, unless you see individual persons as 'symbols'. hhmm, maybe you do.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
???

It's the southern conservatives who seem to not be able to give up the past; re: confederate flags flying, confederate symbols on vehicles, etc.
"Finish the Mission of killing all the slave masters" is what Shabazz told a crowd in Charleston.
It's not just southern conservatives that won't give up the past.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:45 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:

Quite different from your example above, unless you see individual persons as 'symbols'. hhmm, maybe you do.
Islam is an "individual person"? Do tell?

Old 06-25-2015, 08:48 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
The whole premise is stupid.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:51 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
"Finish the Mission of killing all the slave masters" is what Shabazz told a crowd in Charleston.
It's not just southern conservatives that won't give up the past.
Of note, black and white leaders both rejected Shabazz and his message of violence here in Charleston. They said, quite bluntly, he needs to leave as his message is not welcome here.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:51 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
???

It's the southern conservatives who seem to not be able to give up the past; re: confederate flags flying, confederate symbols on vehicles, etc.
Quote:

Have you interviewed all of them?

Kanye West used the flag as a fashion statement. Do you know that?

Some simplify the Confederate battle flag to be a symbol of heritage. Others simplify it to be a symbol of racial hatred.

One thing I do agree is that, this flag always has been — a symbol of a deep division in our country.

When I see somebody fly that flag, I see somebody from the south, not somebody from the "past" lol Why do you listen to what they have to say before judging them?! I have friends fly that flag for many different reasons. NONE are racists, I don't care what others say. I know my friends.

So we are taught it is unfair to paint all Muslims With A Broad Brush, but it is okay to consider all flag waving southerners racists? (especially the flag has never been banned) This is some weird logic.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:56 AM

716 posts, read 393,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
Why don't we just remove from history, any and all mention of the Civil War ? It would end the controversy of the "Flag", it would remove all references to slavery, inequality, racism, etc. If removing the Confederate flag will accomplish anything, then forgetting about the Civil War would be even greater. It's so simple.
Contrary to your disingenuous response, no one’s asking to forget about anything, much less the many atrocities southerners heaped on our black citizens.

I’m thrilled that some Republicans are finally seen the light about this racist symbol that continues to divide the nation. Germany and South Africa have atoned for their past, yet it never happened here and is well past due.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:09 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-bound View Post
Contrary to your disingenuous response, no one’s asking to forget about anything, much less the many atrocities southerners heaped on our black citizens.

I’m thrilled that some Republicans are finally seen the light about this racist symbol that continues to divide the nation. Germany and South Africa have atoned for their past, yet it never happened here and is well past due.
LOL. Democrats controlled these state houses into the 1990's. This issue was addressed and these flags taken down in South Carolina in 2001 in all locations except this one memorial.

What stopped the Democrats from taking it down over the 100+ years after the civil war when they were in charge?

Old 06-25-2015, 09:11 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,318,915 times
What does the Confederate Flag have to do with race?

Old 06-25-2015, 09:14 AM

2,686 posts, read 1,772,016 times
I have a question for the people who hate the Confederate flag. How does it flying over South Carolina affect you personally? If you don't like it, then don't live in South Carolina or don't visit the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies