Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 02:40 PM

13,899 posts, read 6,440,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Nope. There's actually very few who don't support AGW. It's science. Science is often funded by governments and universities. The biased funding tends to be from special interests like oil industry.

The Koch brothers funded climate research and found the warming to be driven by humans.

Just relax and put your energy into promoting good, market-based policies so we don't have big government solutions as the only option

Pretending AGW isn't happening is a lost cause. The funding sources are spread around the world. There's no conspiracy.
There are thousands who don't support AGW. Let me ask you, what are your solutions? Do you actually think humans can control something as complicated as the climate? Again, what market based solution will stop continental drift?

Old 07-23-2015, 02:48 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
We only made it through an Ice Age...
What does this have to do with global warming? At the end of the last glacial period the total human population was less than one million, so I guess we barely made it.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
By mess you mean the one extra co2 molecule in the atmosphere that we have added out of 40,000 molecules?

They only we "we" will be able to "clean" the mess up is if 4 billion of us die off. Until then we will burn all forms of energy to stay alive.
Are you really denying the greenhouse effect?
You know better than that George...

Old 07-23-2015, 03:09 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
This isn't about inconvenience. It's about destabilization, about food supply, about military expenditures to keep order, insurance claims and costs, infrastructure, etc...

Nature will be fine. The sad reality is there are market externalities that need to be dealt with, whether it's the pollution choking Paris, Beijing, or Houston or global, it's all the same core problem.

Rather than defiantly resisting the facts, propose the great solutions.
the food supply will be fine also, technology like hydroponics, and airponics will cover that. and as long as the food supply is stable, the rest will all into place for the most part. the next thing is the energy supply, if it remains stable, even more things will remain stable, regardless of what the climate does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What does this have to do with global warming? At the end of the last glacial period the total human population was less than one million, so I guess we barely made it.
not bad considering we entered that ice age with around 30,000 humans. so we didnt "barely" make it, we actually thrived.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:10 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Quote:
LOL

sounded more like denying the FORCING that is actually MISSING....

that's my point. there has been zero evidence that the warming associated with CO2 rise is in fact causing positive feedbacks leading to ever greater warming. that aint happening.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
LOL

sounded more like denying the FORCING that is actually MISSING....

that's my point. there has been zero evidence that the warming associated with CO2 rise is in fact causing positive feedbacks leading to ever greater warming. that aint happening.
The evidence is there, but you just don't want to see it....It is pretty basic physics...

Ice albedo. Ice is white and very reflective, in contrast to the ocean surface, which is dark and absorbs heat faster. As the atmosphere warms and sea ice melts, the darker ocean absorbs more heat, causes more ice to melt, and makes the Earth warmer overall. The ice-albedo feedback is a very strong positive feedback. Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet: Earth System Science

https://nsidc.org/cryosphere/seaice/...es/albedo.html

Old 07-23-2015, 03:27 PM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
With all due respect that article is poorly written and almost incomprehensible. I struggled with it for about 10 minutes and gave up.

I do believe that most climate activists are anti-capitalist.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:38 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Quote:
The evidence is there, but you just don't want to see it....It is pretty basic physics...

Ice albedo. Ice is white and very reflective, in contrast to the ocean surface, which is dark and absorbs heat faster. As the atmosphere warms and sea ice melts, the darker ocean absorbs more heat, causes more ice to melt, and makes the Earth warmer overall. The ice-albedo feedback is a very strong positive feedback. Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet: Earth System Science

https://nsidc.org/cryosphere/seaice/...es/albedo.html
uhm no.

and don't change the subject.
I am very familiar with albedo. you cannot pick arctic sea ice and dismiss Antarctic.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
uhm no.

and don't change the subject.
I am very familiar with albedo. you cannot pick arctic sea ice and dismiss Antarctic.
When have I done that?

Old 07-23-2015, 04:27 PM

29,505 posts, read 19,602,720 times
Quote:
No, of course not.

Quote:
Climate sensitivity to doubling of Co2 is far from settled science. IPCC report (AR5) gives a range from 1.5 to 4.5 C for a doubling of CO2. That's quite a range.

Btw, you didn't tell me if you believe that my summers will be 9-11F hotter in 35 years. It must be true right? The models say so
http://www.city-data.com/forum/40516233-post25.html

And tell me, how do we solve this "problem" without denying billions of people affordable reliable energy?

Here is something more for you to lose sleep over....

Even if greenhouse gas levels were cut immediately, the researchers claim the warming of the oceans is predicted to continue for centuries and millennia. It seems we might have reached the tipping point, and crashed over the edge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies